This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Wheat Belly Meatloaf  (Read 5840 times)

Katherine

• View Profile
Wheat Belly Meatloaf
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »
I wanted to share my first attempt at making the Wheat Belly Meatloaf recipe. It came out really good, my husband who never eats anything I make from Dr Davis's cookbook, sorry Dr Davis:( loved it!!! Was really good!!!, I wouldn't change a thing. I really enjoy this website, nice to talk with others who understand living a wheat/grain free lifestyle, thank you:)
Kathy :)
Blessings,
Kathy:-)

martygras

• View Profile
Re: Wheat Belly Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »
I love meatloaf. Will have to try it while retooling my mom's old recipe at the same time.

We recently started buying our meat from a local butcher, and the ground top sirloin is so much better than those tube meat thingys at the grocery store. The cost is actually about the same too. I can't go back to cooking that mass produced tube stuff anymore.

I believe, at least for me, I need to get better quality meats so we can enjoy meals more and gain more health benefits from it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was avoiding that recipe out of fear.

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »
Hi :) thank you for your response!! I know what you mean by the "good beef" I have never bought ground beef in the tube, I usually buy it in a pkg, I try to buy it as natural as I can but there are those times when you work with what you have. My husband likes meat loaf and thought this was a perfect opportunity to try one of Dr Davis's recipes, I really believe the bacon added so much to the flavor, I hope you get to try this recipe soon, enjoy Kathy thank  ;)
Blessings,
Kathy:-)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »
Good to know.  Thanks for sharing!

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 07:13:49 PM »
I just made a meatloaf that was quite popular with my family....

I mixed a pound of ground pork with a couple of pounds of ground beef.
Sautéed 2 red onions, one green pepper, a couple of chopped up carrots until soft, added 2 cloves of chopped garlic, salt pepper, and savory leaves.

Let the veggies cool a bit, added about 8 or 10 chopped Bella mushrooms.

Added 2 eggs to the meat, the cooled veggies, and a tablespoon or do of Worcestershire sauce. I get a g/f one brewed here. A little more salt and pepper.

Divided into 4 portions so it would cook a little quicker. Served with mashed cauliflower.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 03:39:43 PM »
These recipes are making me hungry - YUM!!! 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 06:53:10 AM »
Nice recipes!  I sometimes cover my meatloaf with strips of  bacon,  The bacon cooks crisp and adds a wonderful flavor.  Sometimes I finely chop up ingredients like you mentioned Greentree, then blend them into the meat, even bacon which I fry or bake first.  I usually saute' the veggies and spices first to give them more flavor.  Shredded cheddar is good. I found that if I use cold ground beef from the refrigerator, I could add liquid, but cold, ghee into the meat which spreads bit of fat through out the loaf,   The trick is to use cold meat, room temperature additions and quickly work them into the meat.  IF you blend the beef too much, even by hand, the meatloaf will become hard. 

Another way to keep your meatloaf, meatballs or even hamburgers to hold their shape and stay moist is to use about 1/4 cup raw cashews per pound of meat.  You boil 4+ cups of water, add your cashews and cook until softened, about 15 minutes.  You drain, rinse well and mash the cashews.  Add them when you are adding the spices, eggs, etc.

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
Now that you mention cashews, it makes me think of many middle eastern recipes. Maybe a Moroccan theme spice blend would work for making the meatloaf on a kebab. I've seen the technique where the cold ground meat is squeezed onto a skewer by hand and put under a broiler. Looks easy enough. Maybe.

One spice used for this kind of kebab is Sumac, a red powder that has a lemony zing to it. Used in a spice blend called Za'atar I believe. Cant find either locally though.
"To the interwebs!"

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »
Marty,

Check Whole Foods.  Depending on where you live, sometimes places selling Indian provisions carries the spice or markets catering to Muslims or Israeli's. 
There are many recipe's for Z'atar on line since it is a blend.  You might even find it at a Fresh Market.  Northern NJ has so many ethnic groups that I just called each store to inquire.  I found it at Whole Foods and one of the specialty supermarkets.  Even Penzey's carries sumac which is the base spice. 

Ground beef/lamb on skewers is delicious when grilled.  Greek or Turkish spices are used.  I grill my veggies as well to make it more authentic.  I use melted coconut oil sesame oil or ghee to baste the veggies.  Quick, easy, low carb dinner.   You can use your search engine for recipe and proportions.  Each region make a dish spiced slightly differently.  Often I will make a gyro type meatloaf, slice it thin and then have plenty of tomato, onion, peppers, lettuce and tzatziki sauce  or just plain sliced cucumbers.  Online recipes will show you how to use your food processor to make the gyro dense although it tastes good just mixed like regular meatloaf and then sliced.

One of the many benefits of being grain and sugar free is that food starts to taste delicious.  The grilled veggies or just cut up veggies need only S&P, not a glug of bottled dressing to have any taste.   

I think of these uses of ground meat as a nice change of pace for a light, summery meal.  Filling, tasty and inexpensive.  Good change from hamburgers!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »

Sponsored Links