This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Shrimp Avocado Salad  (Read 1926 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Shrimp Avocado Salad
« on: June 01, 2016, 04:11:18 AM »

This is a quick and easy lunch or dinner during the hot weather.  Any cooked fish will work. 

SHRIMP (or other fish) AVOCADO SALAD  Serves 2

1/2 lb. cooked shrimp
1 avocado cut into bite sized pieces
2 TBS finely minced red onion or shallots
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half if necessary
1/4 cup roughly cut cashews
1 lime zested and juiced
2 TBS olive oil
S & P
Parsley as garnish
Lettuce for bedding

Place all ingredients in bowl, add lime juice,zest and olive oil, gently mix.
Serve on a bed of lettuce.

This recipe was published in my daily paper.  I found that is is a delicious way to eat avocado.  I will grill fish and serve it on the side. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Shrimp Avocado Salad
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:16:03 AM »
Thank you for all the delicious recipe ideas, Barbara! ;)

I am not personally a big fan of shrimp or most crustaceans - but my daughter is.  She loves shrimp and I will share this recipe with her.  I do love avocado though, and make guacamole all the time, with the red onion and lime juice, yum - it's just delicious in most foods, savory or even sweet, in the chocolate pudding - I think there's a recipe on here.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 08:18:17 AM »
BarbinNC,

I only eat wild caught fish and seafood.  This recipe is wonderful for grilled fish.  I use a soaked-in-water wooden plank and add some wood chips for smoke on my gas grill.   I clean the seafood myself, never buying the cooked variety and make sure it is not from any foreign country.  No farmed fish even from this this country, like trout or catfish. 

When you add the freshly cooked, warm, moist fish to this salad, it makes the avocado creamy tasting. 

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:35:57 AM »
BarbinNC,

I only eat wild caught fish and seafood.  This recipe is wonderful for grilled fish.  I use a soaked-in-water wooden plank and add some wood chips for smoke on my gas grill.   I clean the seafood myself, never buying the cooked variety and make sure it is not from any foreign country.  No farmed fish even from this this country, like trout or catfish. 

When you add the freshly cooked, warm, moist fish to this salad, it makes the avocado creamy tasting.

I do this with tuna frequently & the cashews sound like a nice touch for an added texture too.

Oh, we have some great wild salmon here in Oregon, you're officially invited, but I've never had it with avocado though. Still a bit scared to try avocados warmed up, but I should be brave in this new world of ours.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
Marty,

You are making me chuckle!  There are lots of recipe's on the internet for avocado baked with eggs and cheese.  This recipe is not one of them!

You cook your fish/seafood separately and then add it to the cut up avocado, tomato and whatever salad mixture.  By the way, I've read that when you add a slice of avocado to a hamburger, you make a very complete and easily digested protein.  I will often just add cold, cooked grassfed beef to my avocado for a healthy salad.  I usually just add salt and pepper, fresh herbs and perhaps some homemade dressing.  The lime zest and juice doesn't work for me with beef or lamb. I also will add some cold cooked beans or lentils, sausage, bacon or whatever to the cut up avocado.

I try to eat one avocado daily, but I'm not always successful. 

The chopped up nuts can be almost any variety for the added texture you mention.  I like Thai food and will adapt it to our way of eating using the best quality nuts I can find, even peanuts.  Chicken satay anyone? 

Once you really start "thinking out of the box" you will be amazed at the nutritious and delicious restaurant quality meals you can make.  All those advertisement and commercially available food kits we grew up with really changed our way of preparing food.   

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »

Sponsored Links