This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Spinach Vichyssoise Summer Soup  (Read 1127 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Spinach Vichyssoise Summer Soup
« on: June 15, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
This is a quick, easy, tasty recipe which can be served hot or cold. 
This recipe was from my local paper.  I've made it several times and really like it.  I know the potatoes add extra carbs, but they are very useful here in this filling soup.  I've added cooked, leftover fish for variation.  It is a light and satisfying soup on really hot days when a full meal is not wanted.

SPINACH VICHYSSOISE

Serves 4

1 TBS butter
2 leeks, white and light green only, chopped
3 cups milk  (some heavy cream can be substituted fo some of the milk)
3 large yukon potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 Cups washed, chopped spinach
S & P
Sour cream and chopped scallions or shallots as garnish

1. In a large pot, saute' leeks in the butter until soft, 3-5 minutes.
2. Add milk/cream and potatoes.  Bring to a simmer, then cover the pot.  Lower the heat and cook until the potatoes are soft, bout 20-30 minutes.
3. Add cleaned spinach and stir until wilted.  Remove pot from heat.
4. Use immersion blender or a blender to mix until smooth.
5. Season with S & P to taste.

Add garnish.  Serve hot or cold. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Spinach Vichyssoise Summer Soup
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »
This sounds really good, I love Vichyssoise!  Wonder if served cold, it would serve as a prebiotic, with the cooked and cooled potato.  I am also wondering if it would be good with cauliflower subbed for the potato.  Leaks are just so delicious in anything.  I make a good quiche with sauted leaks, and love it in bone broth!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 07:47:11 AM »
BarbinNC,

The potatoes, cooked and cooled, have some prebiotic properties.  Not a tremendous amount, but some.  If I'm remembering correctly, it is butyrate.
The soup really is very good.  I haven't tried it with cauliflower yet, but I'm sure it will be good tasting, just a bit different consistency because the potatoes are starchier.  Good idea and worth trying. 

I really like this soup because it is quick and easy to make while satisfying, especially on very hot days.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 07:47:11 AM »

Sponsored Links