This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Keto chocolate coconut bars/bites  (Read 2125 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Keto chocolate coconut bars/bites
« on: June 17, 2016, 05:11:17 AM »
These look super yummy to me, if you like chocolate and coconut together, and who wouldn't ;)  I would make them into bite sized portions, and stick one almond in each, for a mock Mounds bite!

http://thenourishedcaveman.com/coconut-chcocolate-bars-low-carb-snacks/

The link has terrific pictures of the process.  If you don't like opening links, here's a copy and paste or recipe.

Ingredients1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut

InstructionsMix shredded coconut with coconut cream,1/2 of the vanilla extract and packet of stevia and blend well with a spatula or a spoon
  • Place the shredded coconut mixture on a small cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
  • Shape it into a flat rectangle about 4 inches by 6 inches and 1 inch thick (measurements may vary) You can aid yourself with kitchen wrap to accomplish this.
  • Place in the freezer for 2 hours, until frozen solid
  • Remove from the freezer and cut into 5 bars
  • In the meantime you will prepare the chocolate coating:
  • Melt coconut oil in a small sauce pan until liquified
  • Add cocoa powder remaining stevia and vanilla extract to the coconut oil
  • Mix well on low heat for about 2 minutes, until all ingredients are well blended
  • Let cool to room temperature, but still liquid
  • Now dip the bars in the cocoa mixture, and turn to all sides to coat evenly. It helps if the bars are frozen solid so they won't break.
  • Place bars back on the cookie sheet
  • When all bars are all coated put in the refrigerator to harden.
  • The bars can be kept in the fridge for harder consistency or at room temperature for softer.
  • Cacao will melt if kept at a temperature too high.
  • OPTION 2
  • If you want your chocolate coating to stay solid at room temperature use cocoa butter instead of coconut oil.
  • Proceed exactly in the same way as using the coconut oil.

Notes
IMPORTANT:The amount of stevia indicated in the recipe is only for the particular brand of stevia I used. If you are using a different kind of stevia my recommendation is to start with a very small amount and taste test until you reach the right amount of sweetness without making it bitter and over sweet.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Keto chocolate coconut bars/bites
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 06:35:38 AM »
BarbinNC,

This looks great!  I checked the stevia used in the recipe and it was Stevia in the Raw which contains dextrose.  Dextrose is derived from corn products and used as a filler and flavor enhancer by manufacturers.  This is why certain stevia products taste sweeter than others.  Depending on the percentage of dextrose to stevia (which isn't available on the label) you might just be using mainly corn sugar from GMO corn grown in RoundUp.

Other than that, these would be a terrific addition to bring to a party.  Love the almond idea!  I would also make these into small, bite sized pieces.   ;D [size=78%] [/size]

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
Hi Barbara - good on ya for catching that Stevia in the Raw thing, I didn't even look at the sweetener, because I just use what I have on hand, and that's not one of the ones I use.  But for Newbies or folks who take these recipes literal, that's good to know. 
I still like the liquid Stevias, and we have determined they aren't the most healthy choice either, but hopefully a compromise.  What do you think of that Sweetleaf Stevia?  Dr. D does recommend it, I think.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed this recipe as much as I did, I'm getting ready to make some now and have in freezer - I bet they taste really good frozen in the hot Summer days!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
BarbinNC,

I keep Sweet Leaf Stevia packets in my purse for when I eat out.  It has inulin in it which is a prebiotic.  Personally, I like Vitamin Shoppe brand "plnt" stevia powder for my coffee or cold drinks.  Unfortunately, that brand doesn't come in little packets and I refuse to carry around even the small container of powdered stevia so I purchased the Sweet Leaf. 

I'm in the habit of checking the sweeteners or even spices seasonings for ingredients.  It is just appalling how many recipes and seasonings/rubs contain sugar, wheat, MSG or various unidentified items.  I'm very careful not to use items that do contain sugar of any sort, if I can actually identify that it is a sugar.  One of my favorite marinades used to be Lea & Perrins Marinade for Chicken.  They reformulated the recipe now with high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener when there wasn't any sweetener at all, just wine, in the original marinade.  Nearly all the combination spices or rubs on supermarket shelves or even spice stores like Penzey's contain sugar now.  I started to look for "copycat" recipes on the internet and have been pretty successful.  Sugar really isn't needed and just throws off your metabolism in an otherwise careful diet.  The hidden sugars cause you not to lose that extra pound of weight as well as the salts and other chemicals, all of which seem to be added to provide flavor because there isn't any flavor to begin with in CAFO and Roundup laden foods. 

The Stevia Glycerite is good for various uses and Maria Emmerich seems to approve and recommend it.  I used to use it for everything, but found it was more precise to use the plnt stevia for coffee and teas.

I'm finding that I am continually adapting and changing my ingredients as new products become available or my diet just changes somewhat.

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »
Wow!!! Thank you for such wonderful in sight on the "Good" sugars to use, I use Truvia at times, try my best not to add to coffee. I thought it was acceptable by Dr Davis in his early books but than became confused since he started to recommend Stevie in his recent books which is fine!! So, I guess my question is it wise to continue using Truvia for baking, I have so much at home n I have a hard time finding a good liquid safe sweetener, any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you all for this wonderful site.
Oh, does anyone have good zucchini recipes, I have tons from my garden, tank you again😀
Blessings,
Kathy:-)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:24:09 AM »
Katherine,

There are many, many recipes for zucchini on various web sites.  Too many to list.  I like zoodles, lasagna made with zucchini sliced the long way to sub for noodles, grated pancakes, crisps and muffins.  Paleo sites especially, but not exclusively.  The Silver Palate has an outstanding Zucchini-Watercress Soup which is perfect for summer and can be eaten hot or cold.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 05:48:28 AM »
For the zucchini lovers - this one is really good!  And she has a zucchini lasagna and some other recipes for it, also.  Just google low carb zucchini boats, and see how many really good recipes come up. :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats/

And this woman has some fabulous recipes, period!!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/stuffed_zucchini_bake.html

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 05:48:28 AM »

Sponsored Links