This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Low Carb Naan Bread - Diet Doctor recipe  (Read 2411 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Low Carb Naan Bread - Diet Doctor recipe
« on: June 18, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
http://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-naan-bread-with-melted-garlic-butter

I have been craving Naan bread, not sure why, but just want some.  With Lentil soup, lol ;)

But seriously it would make such a lovely meal, along with perhaps a tossed green salad,  with a creamy Italian dressing.  Yum.  Lentils are to be eaten with caution, I think 1/2 cup is the max, but good prebiotic, so definitely will be on my menu sometimes soon.

Ingredients

• teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (500 ml) boiling water
  • Oil for frying
  • Flaked salt

Garlic butter
  • 4 oz. (100 g) butter
  • 12 garlic cloves, freshly squeezed
Instructions

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add oil and then boiling water and stir thoroughly.

• Allow to rise for five minutes. The dough will turn firm fairly quickly, but stay flexible. It should resemble the consistency of Play-Doh. If you find its too runny then add more psyllium husk until it feels right. The amount needed may vary depending on what brand of husk or coconut flour you use.
  • Divide into 6 or 8 pieces and form into balls that you flatten with your hands directly on parchment paper or on the kitchen counter.
  • Fry carefully in oil in a frying pan until they turn a nice color and have risen enough.
  • Heat the oven to 140F (70C) and keep the bread warm while you make more.
  • Melt the butter and stir in the freshly squeezed garlic. Apply the melted butter on the bread pieces using a brush and sprinkle flaked salt on top.
  • Pour the rest of the garlic butter in a bowl and dip pieces of bread in it.

Greentree

• View Profile
Re: Low Carb Naan Bread - Diet Doctor recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
It is one thing that I MISS...with feta cheese, raw onion, and fresh anise basil....YUM!

I will try it, and report back!

Thanks!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
That sounds fabulous made my mouth water.  Look forward to hearing how it went, I might have to try them next week and get some of that cheese . ;)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
BarbinNC,

That entire web site has terrific recipes.  Worth exploring.  I often make sauteed cabbage during the winter months instead of cole slaw.  Various additional spices besides sauteing in butter are mentioned.  Thanks for posting this recipe and site.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 10:14:44 PM »
Never heard of sauteing cabbage.  Do
you just chop it up and saute it like
you would an onion?  Sounds alright.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:08:05 AM »
Hi Bill,

You are in for a treat! 
Sauteed cabbage is delicious and very versatile.  You saute' it briefly, just enough to lose some of its crunch.  Yes, it is like sauteing onions: can let them brown, caramelize or soften.  Use butter, ghee, bacon fat/tallow or oil.  Add spices of your choice if you want, although a just a little salt and pepper is fine.  The cabbage doesn't smell up your home!  Go to the web site BarbinNC posted and read the recipes listed under "cabbage".  They even have one with heavy cream (or coconut milk) to use as a side dish, condiment or topping, like an Italian gremolata.   Delicious and easy.  Cabbage is budget friendly!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 05:47:27 AM »
You're going to be very happy with this discovery, Bill!  One of my favorite quick and satisfying dishes - and why I always have cabbage and bacon on hand - is frying up some chopped onions in coconut oil (or other) and bacon, then adding chopped cabbage, and let it get nice and done, some sea salt and pepper - voila: dinner! 

This dish is so versatile too, you can make it with ground beef, and then spice it up to have a Mexican flavor, or even Chinese with the garlic, ginger, and misc. sauces - I use coconut amines and a bit of fish sauce.  YUM!!

Look up "crack slaw" online, it's called that because you just can't stop eating, and it's healthy!  :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 05:47:27 AM »

Sponsored Links