This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Flaxxxxxy fracase - not fricasee but definitely fracaso  (Read 2027 times)

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
Flaxxxxxy fracase - not fricasee but definitely fracaso
« on: June 27, 2016, 03:08:24 PM »
my flax based wraps or pancakes etc are a glutenous sticky mess, without the gluten.

They take forever to cook and end up half cooked in the middle. Not at all like the prepacked appear to be.  I use flax+coconut flour+a little rice flour+egg+baking powder/soda+weater and cook with coconut oil. Tried in cast iron pan, frypan ala crepes, waffle iron (disaster!!) low temp high temp

What am I doing wrong?  thanks in advance!

bill

• View Profile
Re: Flaxxxxxy fracase - not fricasee but definitely fracaso
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:04:21 PM »
I'm confused.  In other posts you have talked
about how you've given up rice, yet you add rice
flour.  Also, why the sugar?  Just curious.

Sorry that the pancakes and such aren't cooking
up well.  I never make them or anything like them
so haven't got any advice to give.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:13:47 AM »
Sorry you are having so many problems.  If it isn't the pan, heat or oil used, then it is the recipe.  While you can't expect baked items to have the same qualities as those which contain gluten, there must be a cohesiveness to whatever it is you are making.  The recipe you are using does not have the proper proportions of ingredients which is why they stick and fall apart.  Flax meal is usually used in small amounts, not as the main ingredient as you listed.  The same is true for coconut flour.  Also, don't forget to let the coconut flour batter to rest for a few minutes to allow for it to absorb the liquid in the recipe.  Use extra fats in your fry pan for the same reason.

I would suggest you try to find a pancake recipe listed in one of the ketogenic web sites.  Maria Emmerich has an excellent one for starters. There are many recipes online.  Also, make sure you use GOLDEN FLAX seeds, meal or flour.  This is much milder tasting than the regular brown flax.  IT is better to ground the flax seeds yourself in a coffee grinder because the oils in flax get rancid very quickly.

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »

mistake..but good eyes on your part....I meant baking soda, not sugar....i'm not eating rice, but I have a bag of rice flour around and am trying to sneak a little in here and there...was hoping to find the right stickiness balance

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
Sorry you are having so many problems.  If it isn't the pan, heat or oil used, then it is the recipe.  While you can't expect baked items to have the same qualities as those which contain gluten, there must be a cohesiveness to whatever it is you are making.  The recipe you are using does not have the proper proportions of ingredients which is why they stick and fall apart.  Flax meal is usually used in small amounts, not as the main ingredient as you listed.  The same is true for coconut flour.  Also, don't forget to let the coconut flour batter to rest for a few minutes to allow for it to absorb the liquid in the recipe.  Use extra fats in your fry pan for the same reason.

I would suggest you try to find a pancake recipe listed in one of the ketogenic web sites.  Maria Emmerich has an excellent one for starters. There are many recipes online.  Also, make sure you use GOLDEN FLAX seeds, meal or flour.  This is much milder tasting than the regular brown flax.  IT is better to ground the flax seeds yourself in a coffee grinder because the oils in flax get rancid very quickly.

another set of sharp eyes!!!...I retracted the sugar which was a typo ..meant soda....just because the F&D is required to list ingredients in order of proportion doesn't necessarily apply to normal humans...I just put the first thing that came to mind, it's not the main ingredient....trying to balance them...however, will put less flax now, per your observation..thanks!

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »

PS LOL I'm also confused...but I put it down to senior's moments

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:29:51 AM »
turns out the prob was the amount of water...since I started all this by making WF waffles, I assumed the mix should be batter...a lady at the health food store corrected me: it should be more like bread dough.....that did the trick..

can even make flax chips...flax, water, salt only....next version will be adding some coconut flour etc and maybe an egg

Long live the power of investigation and the inquiring mind!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:29:51 AM »

Sponsored Links