This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Boar's Head Revisited  (Read 1487 times)

lyra

• View Profile
Boar's Head Revisited
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Before my journey into a wheat free diet began I would enjoy purchasing sliced turkey at the local upscale deli department of my local co-op. One of the brands that is carried there is Boar's Head. I wanted to see if it was okay to eat their products on the WB program. I went to their website, but the site gives no information as to the exact ingredients in each meat they sell. Finally, at another site, I was able to find the exact list of ingredients which includes, among other things, dextrose.

Dextrose..An ingredient made from starch, including rice, corn or wheat. It is a highly processed ingredient that is gluten free no matter which starch is used.

Well, it seems that although Boar's Head tells its consumers that it is gluten-free, that only means just that. BTW, the Boar's Head site does refer you to their telephone number if you want an exact description of their product ingredients.

I can't remember ever injecting my Thanksgiving turkey with a bit of dextrose, but then, what do I know!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:08:06 PM by lyra »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Boar's Head Revisited
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
I hate how we have to analyze everything so carefully anymore.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »
I agree Lyra.....before WB, I used to buy Boar's Head because I thought it was superior in quality....but now, I'm more interested in finding out what my food EATS!

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »
HA! Well said Jan.
YA, what did my sausage eat before I ate it? Exactlly.
We've had to become scientists and spies.
20 yrs ago ... even 10 years ago I would never have thought that my food would become so important and complicated.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »

Sponsored Links