This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Rice crackers?  (Read 1962 times)

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
Rice crackers?
« on: July 10, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
so here I was buying small thin rice crackers from the dollar store by the box..2$1.25 package..i know rice is high carb but these little guys don't seem to add up to many net carbs especially when topped with almond butter etc

However a guest pointed out the label which included SUGAR...dang...don't know how i missed that one..thought I had a winner....oh well on to flax chips. Rice crackers go to the potluck dinners.

anyone found any rice crackers that don't cost a fortune and don't have too many nasty add ons? the big thick round ones seem safe, but they're higher carb because of the volume

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Rice crackers?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:22:10 AM »
Michael,

You might try to find Breton Gluten Free Crackers made by Dare.  This is an American company, but might be available in your area.They have several flavors (flax, garlic, black bean) which are crispy and about 3" wide so you can spread them with whatever.  Glycemic values are better than the rice crackers and these aren't nearly as salty.  The crackers taste good and are great when you are pinched for time.  I don't have a box available at the moment, but I remember that the ingredients weren't too bad.  Worth checking out!  I believe they have a web site.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:40:45 PM »
re: However a guest pointed out the label which included SUGAR...dang...

Rice alone is pretty close to being sugar from a blood glucose point of view, plus it always contains wheat germ agglutinin, and usually contains arsenic in surprisingly high concentration.

If it had sugar in it, I wouldn't be surprised if it also had added Omega 6 linoleic acid in it (from vegetable oil).

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »
You've probably noticed my posts on various
blogs saying stop with the "processed carbs."
Potatoes aren't "processed" or "refined" but
they will raise your blood sugar inordinately.

There's an activity I've created for seminars where
I have a magnetic board divided into carbs,
fat, and protein.  I give out cards with pictures
of common foods, such as potato, egg white,
carrot, beef, olive oil, etc.  The participants are to put
the food in the proper macronutrient category.  These are
highly educated people, with either masters
or doctorate level education and they get it
wrong about 10% of the time, e.g. egg whites
are fat.  If these highly educated people have
difficulty with the concept, then try to throw
in "refined carbs" and the whole thing gets
messed up.  We even have them discuss it
in groups before they put the cards on the board.
This is not just a couple of isolated individuals
that don't know.

Can't we just make it clear that carbs turn to
sugar in the blood stream?  Yes, I know fiber
is carbs, but that's so far down the line from
the initial problem...

Forgive the rant. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:06:55 AM by Rita »

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 05:17:57 AM »
Bill, not a rant, but something we all can relate to, I'm sure.  I can't believe in this day and age, people still don't know their macro nutrients, but it is true, many are clueless what they are eating, and that the food might play havoc on their body. 

I'm not sure what this post has to do with recipes, but if Michael is looking for a cracker recipe, then I would suggest googling - there are probably thousands of good recipes that are grain and sugar free.  As a matter of fact, I posted one not too long ago, and it's wonderful.  Not really like a thin rice cracker would be, but certainly a delicious fiber packed cracker, that satisfies with some cheese or whatever spread on top.

Costco carries a wonderful parmesan "cracker" - they are called Whips and I really love them.  They don't cause cravings as in "can't just eat one" but truly satisfy that once in a while "let me just grab a few little whips" to munch on.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 07:06:53 AM »

Good demonstration Bill!

I'm not surprised that few people understand the notion that carbs create sugar which your liver uses for fuel instead of fat.  I never really understood the importance of that until I read Wheat Belly.  Now I think of foods differently. 

I don't want to eat produce which has been grown in poisoned, lifeless soil.  Their nutritional content is minimally enhanced by chemical additives and have heavy doses of pesticides, fungicides and whatever.

I don't want to eat animal products from CAFO farms because the animals are raised in overcrowded conditions, fed with the cheapest foods and drugs to bring it to market much faster than nature intended.  The nutritional content is compromised and minimal.

At first, I thought that I could never afford to eat organic, pastured, properly raised and fed food.  Now, 3.5 years after the switch, I am eating only 2 meals daily, not snacking, feeling great and am spending much less on food than I did BWB (Before Wheat Belly).  Even expenditures for over the counter items from CVS are minimal.  No Advil, no creams, lotions and potions.  Coconut oil instead of toothpaste and mouth wash has cut down on visits to the dentist for teeth cleaning.  Fewer visits to the Doctor, now only a yearly checkup and blood work. 

This takes time, but I am spending less money for daily living needs and have a surplus at the end of the month.  Nice. :D

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 07:06:53 AM »

Sponsored Links