This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Casseroles  (Read 3910 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Casseroles
« on: July 20, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »
Usually when I make chicken broth I will shred the chicken and make Rita's chicken and green chile casserole and put it in the freezer. Now I need some other choices of ways to use the chicken. Anybody got ideas...easy and quick??? Thanks!!

julie

• View Profile
Re: Casseroles
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »
We like to mix it with cheese and Mexican spices, then use that mixture to stuff peppers and roast them.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
HI Julie! That's a good idea. DH can't eat bell peppers (stomach issues), but we love poblano peppers. We usually stuff Poblanos with beef...a taco-like mixture using fire roasted tomatoes, chili powder, chipotle seasoning and pinto beans with cheese on top. I will use the chicken next time. Thank you so much. What Mexican seasonings do you use?

hey everyone! I'm still open to any additional recipes with seasoned boiled chicken.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:27:47 PM »
Julie, this is Rita's chicken and green chile casserole. It's really simple and really good. I usually use green Herdez salsa because I can't get 505 here.

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,134.msg932.html#msg932

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
I love having recipes like this in the freezer...ready to pull out on short notice.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »
Deanna, I have a skillet meal I make a lot from boiled chicken (or ground beef or leftover meat/chicken of some kind).  Just saute it in coconut oil, add seasonings (usually includes cayenne pepper), and any chopped veggies I have in the crisper.  Sometimes I add coconut aminos or a little cream, plus salsa usually to give it more of a kick.  It goes far and I usually get several meals out of it.  Not sure why you couldn't make this into a casserole, adding cheese and some type of gratin on the top.  Yum...sounds good just thinking of it!

julie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:33:22 AM »
Hi Deanna! I've never eaten poblano peppers, but have wanted to try them... are they very spicy?

When I add the spices, it's just a combo of things I usually have on hand... cumin, chipotle powder, chili powder, oregano, garlic and onion (either fresh or powder). Salsa too, if I happen to have it. I've done it with cream cheese and with a mixture of cheddar, mozzarella,  and jack cheese.

I love how I can take my favorite dinners that I ate prior to going grain-free and enjoy them in a much healthier way. I have found that any time I am craving a dish like pasta, pizza, tacos, etc ... that I am really craving the sauce (and meats and vegetables), NOT the pasta or tortillas! I love stuffed peppers and definitely need to try the poblanos....

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
Loanne, that sounds delish. I put it on my list to experiment. I wonder if it would be good with chopped cabbage?

Julie, we love poblano peppers. They're not real spicy after their cooked...not sure about raw. They're good chopped up in many things. I do cough when cutting and cleaning out the seeds, but sometimes DH does that part for me. You really should try them...I wish I had some today. Last time I bought extra, halved, washed and cleaned, then froze. They were ready next time I wanted to prepare them. Be sure to blacken them before stuffing. There's an actual recipe here on the forum:

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php?topic=186.msg1595#msg1595

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 11:06:32 AM »
I've used chopped cabbage and it's great!  I use mainly celery, red bell pepper, cabbage, green beans, sometimes cauliflower, but any veggie would work good.  You could even add peanuts or pecan pieces if you're feeling really bold!   :)   It's easy and quick to fix when I get home from work; then I can eat leftovers for lunch the next day and dinner that evening!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
Ohhhh...that's good to know Loanne!

I think this recipe below would be good with the shredded chicken too:
http://drchristianson.com/asparagus-sweet-potato-skillet/?inf_contact_key=0f5e1428d19e9e3e03f3820cede43e39834bb3577a23c4d5429e81d635abecdd

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 05:25:29 AM »
This chicken casserole sounds good to me …have to admit that I'm not a big casserole maker, for some reason.  I do like eating them though …  that Pinterest page I shared on the DJ Foodie thread had some great ideas for casseroles, if you scroll down about half way.  Anyway, this one I might try one of these days - http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/01/alice-springs-chicken-casserolewho.html

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 07:24:53 AM »
I would use the shredded chicken in a Shepherd's or Cottage Pie recipe instead of ground beef or lamb.  You would use pretty much the same spices and technique for an ersatz chicken pot pie.  Or, you could make your usual pot pie recipe and just place a crust of your choosing on top.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 07:24:53 AM »

Sponsored Links