This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Zoodles  (Read 1690 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Zoodles
« on: August 09, 2016, 04:53:00 AM »
https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/zoodles-with-kale-pesto?bffbfood&utm_term=.js7DG0G1e#.phvyMrMZ2

If you haven't tried making noodles from zucchini, it's so easy and delicious!  Here is a step by step instruction and video.  A must try - I love with a simple Carbonara type dish, or with browned ground beef, garlic, onion, a bit of tomato paste - YUM!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Zoodles
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
I agree!  Pretty soon I'll have zucchini's coming out of my ears (garden), and I'll need to figure out lots of different ways to use them.   

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:31:46 AM »
My very favorite recipe for using up zucchini is an oldie from The Silver Palate Cookbook (1980's).  Delicious hot or cold.  Can be frozen.  This is great for those extra large zucchini which seem to grow overnight. 

ZUCCHINI WATERCRESS SOUP    serves 4-6

4 TBS butter or coconut oil
2  C onions coarsely chopped
2 lbs zucchini, trimmed and coarsely chopped
1 bunch watercress trimmed *
S&P to taste
Splash of fresh lemon juice (optional)

* save a few leaves for a garnish

In soup pot, melt butter or oil.  Saute onions until translucent, just before they caramelize.  Add chicken stock to pot, then zucchini.  Heat until zucchini is soft. In same pot, use an immersion blender to puree or pour into your blender.  Add S&P and lemon juice if needed.

Serve hot or cold.  Freezes well.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:37:30 AM »
Thanks Barbara - that sounds amazing and will be making some - love water cress too!!

And Rita, I'm quite envious of your garden, I really miss having one now.  Have been buying the organic zucchini for GS, and they are expensive!  Will have to check into container plantings, they can be quite productive. 

And I've been meaning to ask you how it's going with your bees you might have to update that thread you started a while back, I've been waiting to hear, but know you are quite busy.  Whenever you have time, it would be fun to find out how that experience has been. :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:49:15 AM »
That sounds delicious Barbara.   And Barb, I will update my bee thread.  I've had a lot of bee drama.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »
Rita,

I had to have a honey bee hive taken out of my Victorian home by a beekeeper.  The hive was in the roof of a Victorian window well.  They made an opening above the trim and under the roofline.  A large square of shingles were removed and the roof decking cut open to remove the hive.  They used  a special vacuum to vacuum up the bees and deposit them in the new hive which the beekeeper took with him.  This was an all day process.  The beekeeper had a special suit and hat for protection.  A very expensive removal!  A new roof was going to be installed on the entire house so the charge didn't include that. 

There are various beekeeping clubs, local, state and national conventions and conferences.  This is a big business!  Not just for hobbyists.  I had to wait a few days for the beekeeper to show up because most of the beekeepers who would do this kind of removal were at a NJ University Bee Convention. 

It is very disconcerting to have honeybees flying around your rooms.  I learned that if you don't remove the hive, the hive will grow and honey can drip
down your walls or through the ceiling.  If the hive doesn't survive, then the wax and honey will eventually decay.  This will keep attracting more insects and sometimes animals to that area to get at the honey. 

This was dramatic enough for me!  I just can't imagine being a beekeeper and the drama you must go through.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 02:20:54 PM »
Wow Barbara. What a sticky job to remove all that honey in your roof!  Glad they saved the bees though.  :)

I just updated my bee thread here:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,2209.0.html

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 02:20:54 PM »

Sponsored Links