This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: FauxKanto: Copycat Lakanto sweetener!  (Read 1618 times)

Jaideyes

• View Profile
FauxKanto: Copycat Lakanto sweetener!
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
I really like Lakanto, but it's so expensive!  Awhile back my grocery had a BOGO sale on Monkfruit sweetener, so I loaded up.  I mixed it up with some erythritol that I had in a big 4 lb bag from Honeyville, (from my low-carb / Atkins days) until it tasted just like the purchased Lakanto. :)   Here's what I came up with, let me know if you try this!

FauxKanto
2 cups granulated erythritol
26 packets monkfruit sweetener, or to taste
Mix well to blend.
(I whirred it a few times in the Magic Bullet)

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
Re: FauxKanto: Copycat Lakanto sweetener!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
What is Lakanto sweetener? Never heard of this one before.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »
re: What is Lakanto sweetener?

From a recent article on Wheat Belly Blog:
"Lakanto (erythritol + monkfruit in a proportion designed to be used like sugar 1:1) is the most costly sweetener by a substantial margin, over 3-fold the cost of the SweetLeaf stevia"

Jaideyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 05:29:57 PM »
It's a monkfruit / erythritol blend that's GREAT for baking!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:21:32 PM »
Jaideyes,

Take a look at Wheat Free Market Foods.  They developed a product called Virtue which is a 1:4 ratio rather than a 1:1 for Lakanto (1/4 cup Virtue to 1 cup sugar).  This is the company Dr. Davis talks about and advertises on his blog site.  He binds it together in some way so the ingredients don't separate.  While Virtue isn't inexpensive, it does go a very long way.  Also, the longer you stay on this way of eating, the less you want to eat sweet things so the package lasts even longer!  Also, your tastebuds seem to change the longer you remain grain and sugar free, so sweet tastes even sweeter.

Your homemade blend sounds like a great idea.

Jaideyes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »
Hi Barbara!
I did read about Virtue on Dr. Davis's blog, but I figured I would try out this blend so I could put my 4 lb bag of erythritol to good use first.  ;)   It's been working really well so far.  I used it for grain free zucchini waffles, & the 2 minute grain free "bread" and find it greatly improves the texture, and tastes awesome.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »

Sponsored Links