This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Mushroom Saute'  (Read 1057 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Mushroom Saute'
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:08:52 AM »
Fall is mushroom season.  In days of old, our ancestors gathered them, threaded and hung them to dry for winter meals.  We don't need to do that anymore.  The following recipe is an excellent one for using mushrooms as a side dish.  It is from the Swiss Diamond Cookware web site.  Any combination of mushrooms will work.

SLICED BUTTON MUSHROOM SAUTE'   
 serves 4-6

6 TBS butter or ghee (divided)
3 TBS olive, coconut or other appropriate oil
1 1/2 lbs. sliced button or similar mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
4 cloves minced garlic
1 TBS lime juice
1TBS thyme leaves
1 TBS lemon juice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 TBS fresh parsley chopped

1.  In large saute pan, heat 3 TBS of the butter or ghee and your oil of choice until hot, but below the smoke or browning point.
2.  Add the mushrooms in a single layer if possible. DO NOT TOSS until the side of the mushrooms touching the pan are        caramelized.
3.  Toss the mushrooms and continue to cook for about 5 minutes without disturbing them.
4.  Add the remaining butter or ghee and when melted, toss the mushrooms and cook for about another 5 minutes, turning every minute or so until the are all browned evenly.
5.   Add salt, garlic, lime juice.  Saute' another 2 minutes.
6.   Add thyme, lemon juice and white wine, cooking until the liquid has evaporated.
7.   Toss in parsley and serve.

PRO TIP:   Moving the mushrooms around before they have caramelized (formed a slight crust) will make them release their liquid and begin to steam.  This will cause them to taste a bit chewy and feel soggy on the outside. 

On the few occasions there are leftover mushrooms, I use them the next day by adding them to freshly sauteed spinach or other greens, or just gently reheat them.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Mushroom Saute'
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:35:04 AM »
Looks delicious, Barbara!  I love making this type of dish with pork chops, or add a bit of broth and cream, for a cream of mushroom soup.  Yum!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:52:37 AM »
Hi BarbinNC,

Yes!  This recipe is THAT versatile!  Instead of wine (I use a pinot grigio), you can use a liquor or sherry, both of which will change the flavor a bit.  I also love to add mushrooms made this way to creamed spinach.  I use any kind of sliced mushroom using this cooking technique.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:52:37 AM »

Sponsored Links