This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Leberkaes - German Meatloaf  (Read 1466 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Leberkaes - German Meatloaf
« on: October 02, 2016, 07:56:30 AM »
This one is definitely an acquired taste.  I was lamenting to my daughter the other day, that since the German butcher in our small town closed shop, I hadn't really had any Leberkaes.  We looked online, and there is a place, Germandeli.com where you can order it frozen, but then I looked around the internet for recipes, and decided it sounds easy enough to give it a try.  Mine is in the oven right now, baking.  I can't wait!

http://kitchenproject.com/german/recipes/leberkaese/index.htm

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Leberkaes - German Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »
I think it's the meat in the food processor that gets me (in terms of cooking it myself).

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
Haha Rita, you mean because of the mess it makes?  Well let me tell you, clean up was a biatch lol!  So, probably won't make this a habit, but the spices are fabulous, and will be making just a regular ground beef and pork meatloaf next, using the spice mix.  It did receive rave reviews, the texture is nice, smooth, kind of like bologna or a frankfurter.  Taste much better. 

But yeah, the food processor took a lot of hot water and soap to get ungreased   ::)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:53:20 PM »
BarbinNC,

I'll bet this is delicious even as a normal meatloaf.  I've found a buying club who sources properly raised meat and poultry from Amish farmers and ground pork, beef and veal are on their list of available items.  I really want to make this.  I'll be the flavors are wonderful.  While not exactly authentic, just using those spices will make a tasty meatloaf.  This comes just in time for cold weather....  Thanks for posting!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 04:52:49 AM »
How lucky that you found that buying club, Barbara!  How do you find something like that, is it local?  I really have to get myself up and looking, as it is, I do buy the grass fed ground beef from the health food store, and the farm they get it from isn't too far from us.  So I might just drive out there, one of these days just never seems enough time.

I did make another meatloaf, just to see how it would come out, with regular ground meat, and it's actually quite fabulous.  I have it in the fridge and been frying up a few slices for lunch or dinner, in butter, and one night made a mushroom gravy, using your recipe and it was delicious! 

I've been baking a lot lately, mostly the donuts and coffee cakes oh, I found a great blueberry cheese cake crumble coffee cake, will have to post, it's a little more work, but not much - but oh the outcome is so worth it! 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:59:49 AM »
BarbinNC,

I looked at http://farmmatch.com and found a delivery site nearby.  NJ does not allow raw dairy products to be sold unless it is through a "buyers club" or a co-op situation.  Neighboring states of NY and Pa. allow the sale of these products, but the farms are just too far away to travel for milk or meat.  My "matchup" is an Amish farmer.  The products are competitively priced or a bit more expensive, but the quality is superb.  There is a delivery charge to the local site which is a %age of your order.  The website also tacks on a small charge for site development and maintenance.  The products are stored in huge plastic double walled bins with lots of ice.  Volunteers allow their property to be used for delivery, usually a garage, and you pick up your order using the honor system. 

realmilk.com is another site to check.  If these links don't work, use your search engine.

I can honestly say that all the dairy products are superb.  I found the site in mid June and slowly trying each product.  The heavy cream makes REAL WHIPPED CREAM!!!   The cheeses are excellent. 

As a nation, we've forgotten how real food actually tastes.  Using these non GMO, appropriately raised and fed organic products sure has made my prepared food taste even better.  Yes, they cost more to purchase, but I have a surplus every month because I don't spend money on medical bills, CVS pain remedies etc.  I sure don't get much value out of Medicare.... 8)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:59:49 AM »

Sponsored Links