This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Spinach Pea Mint Soup  (Read 718 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Spinach Pea Mint Soup
« on: October 08, 2016, 06:42:53 AM »
Cooler weather has finally arrived up here in Northern NJ.  I wanted to use up some of the fresh mint growing in my herb garden.
This recipe is from The Silver Palate and one of my favorites.  It is often made in the spring with fresh peas, but I make it all year round.  Frozen vegetables are OK to use.  You can also use a combination of various leafy greens like kale, swiss chard, beet greens etc..  While delicious on its own, I will sometimes add cooked sausage or small meatballs or any leftover meat or poultry in it for variety. 

SPINACH PEA MINT SOUP

4 TBS butter or oil
2 cups roughly chopped onions
2 10 oz. packages of spinach or any combination of greens, fresh is best but frozen is fine
3-4 cups peas, fresh or frozen
3-4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups FRESH mint
1 cup milk/cream*  optional
S and P to taste
1 TBS fresh lemon juice*  optional

Saute onions in butter or oil in your soup pot over low heat until lightly colored.   Add your greens, cooking them down.  Add your broth and heat until simmering.  Use immersion blender to puree.  Add S&P to taste. 

* optional lemon juice "brightens" the flavor a bit
* optional milk or cream added to heated soup just before serving. 

martygras

• View Profile
Re: Spinach Pea Mint Soup
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:46:54 PM »
I have found that recipes that say lemon juice is optional usually benefit from that real lemon taste.
Looks interesting to try.

Wheat Free Forum

Re: Spinach Pea Mint Soup
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:46:54 PM »

Sponsored Links