This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: gelatin  (Read 2173 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
gelatin
« on: October 15, 2016, 05:07:13 AM »
I was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet and found a nearly full container of Great Lakes brand gelatin.  I started adding a teaspoon to yogurt.  WOW!  My energy and stamina increased markedly!  There are lots of internet articles which detail the benefits.  Among them are liver and adrenal detoxification, stomach and intestinal soothing, anti-inflammatory aid for joints and all other organs, skin, wrinkle and hair benefits, bone and ligament support.  The list is really long.

It is important to purchase gelatin made from grass fed cows because this contains the most nutrients and it is made from healthy animals.  You can use Knox gelatin found on every supermarket shelf if that is all you can find.  Gelatin is an excellent substitute for the all the benefits you get from bone broth and much easier to use.  The hydrolyzed gelatin thickens, but doesn't gel anything.  The regular product will gel.  Very easy to use and to add to smoothies, yogurt and similar products. No taste....big health benefits.

To make jello, I puree' fruit using an immersion blender, or use fruit juice.  Usually a sweetener isn't necessary because the fruits are really sweet on their own.   A citrus jello is delicious!  While I usually don't eat much fruit anymore, this was a nice dessert. 
You can use this as a thickener for nearly anything. 

Grass Fed Girl has an easy to read and understand article if you do an internet search.  There are many recipes as well.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: gelatin
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »
Lucky you!   I love that stuff.  I've never made jello with it before though ... I've just added it to various dishes.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »
Okay, I bought some gelatin.  Do you
have some more suggestions as to
how to use it?  I just bought the
Knox stuff as I can't find anything
else locally.  Do I just mix it into hot
water and pour it on stuff?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »

Bill,

I like this recipe, but there are many "paleo" recipes on the internet and check web sites of Great Lakes  or Zint Gelatin for their recommendations.  Very easy to make a dessert or a snack.  Dissolve any sweetener you might use into the fruit so you can taste it.  Sweetness of the fruits just varies too much to provide a specific amount.  I also like the mouth feel of the fruit in the jello.
Some people don't.  You can use a single fruit as well.

STRAWBERRY- BLUEBERRY JELLO

1 c strawberries
1 c blueberries
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
sweeten as needed since the sweetness of fruits vary

2 TBS gelatin
1 c hot water or 1 cup cold water to dissolve

Puree your fruit.  Taste and sweeten as needed.  Add lemon juice.

In separate bowl, dissolve gelatin in hot water, then add the fruit mixture.  Or, if using cold water to dissolve the gelatin, mix this in with your fruit and heat in microwave for 1 minute or in a pot on the stove to a simmer.

Pour into your dish and chill 3-4 hours.

OPTIONAL: Sour cream, whipped cream or yogurt on top for serving. 

Another recipe:  Use fruit juice instead of water and follow directions on package.  Some people like 1/2 fruit juice and 1/2 fruit puree. 

You can just add some gelatin to your yogurt, stirring it in well and eat.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »
Thanks Barbara.  I'll give it a try.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 06:47:57 AM »
I used Rita's idea and started sprinkling gelatin on many foods.  For instance, I sprinkled a spoonful on the WB Focaccia bread I smeared with some liverwurst.  Then I tried it in a fish salad I made with leftover cold fish.  There wasn't any taste and I ate the food immediately so there wasn't any chance for it to gel. 

I'm finding that this really does help digestion issues.  I don't eat yogurt or drink kefir every day to which I had initially added the gelatin.  Now I have some of this amino acid enrichment daily.  My stomach is very happy!

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »
Guess I'm not sure what benefit plain gelatin would have versus bone broth?  It's tasteless...? :-\

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
Hi Loanne,

Bone broth is wonderful, but sometimes it is not convenient to actually make it or not suitable for what you are eating.  I think it is probably healthier than plain gelatin.  Gelatin is made from cow hides.  It can be processed so it just thickens the food, but not gel or processed so it does gel whatever you are making.  Gelatin contains many beneficial amino acids which must be supplied by food or supplements since our bodies don't manufacture them..  Because it doesn't have any flavor, gelatin can be used in many foods or smoothies where you wouldn't want to add bone broth.  It is a very, very easy and healthy way to add extra nutrition to your food. Great for your skin, wrinkles, hair, and nails as well as the many internal benefits. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
Thanks, Barbara...I should've read the posts more closely.  Now I need to find some that's organic or from grass-fed cattle.  I could really use it for my eyelashes which never came back as thick as they were prior to the chemo stuff.  Thanks again!  I haven't been around much lately since I retired end of August and have been getting used to a  new schedule ... of doing not much!  At least for now.   :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 02:38:16 PM »
Congrats on your retirement Loanne.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 02:38:16 PM »

Sponsored Links