This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Could someone please offer advice for my friend?  (Read 2774 times)

Greentree

• View Profile
Could someone please offer advice for my friend?
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »
I have a friend in my dance class that I recommended WBD to about 18 months ago (when I joined the group). She wanted to lose weight. She said it was impossible for her to do, with her DH and grandchildren around.

About 6 months ago, she was having intestinal pain, and again, I recommended WBD, and she said no,the doctor told her she needed to increase FIBER, so eat whole wheat(!!!). I shook my head, and another friend backed her up....

NOW, the doctor wants to remove THREE QUARTERSof her colon!!!

I did not ask if she had gotten multiple opinions, but I will. I do not know what the Dx is.

Does anybody have any suggestions (with the admittedly limited information)? Thank you!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Could someone please offer advice for my friend?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »
At the very least, your friend needs to take pre and probiotics and eat lots of cooked vegetables.  Increasing water intake is important.  By this I mean that she needs to drink about 1/2 her body weight in ounces of plain water.  Next step is to stop eating the foods that are harming her.  Well known allergens like wheat, dairy, eggs, corn, etc. should be tried.  She does this by eliminating a specific food for a few days to a week and then re-introducing this item into her diet and see how she feels.  Of course, in doing this, she is taking responsibility for her own health rather than doing only what the doctor says to do.  The doctor benefits from this drastic surgery because he has repeat business and fees.  She winds up with a pouch for the rest of her life.  Clearly, additional consultations and other opinions are needed. 

Don't feel bad for her.  She is responsible for her own health.  If she won't change her diet, but prefers this drastic surgery, many medications, many tests, scans and doctor visits for the rest of her life, then that is her choice.  We all know people like this.  Her family doesn't control what she puts in her mouth - she does.  DH and the grandchildren  keeping her from even trying to lose weight is as good an excuse as any. 

Also, some people spend lots of time and energy talking about their illnesses.  She hasn't really shared enough information for you to really form an opinion and advise her.  She "gains" sympathy or some kind of perceived status by her discussions without ever having to "do" anything about it.   

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
I agree with Barbara's recommendation.  Did the doctors give her a diagnosis?  Crohn's disease?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:13:17 AM »
I had another idea which your friend could use to wean herself off sugar.  Truvia is stevia and sugar. It can be substituted in equal amounts as regular cane sugar. If your friend is addicted to sugar, then using this product is a first, temporary step to using the approved sweeteners.  After 1 package is finished, her taste buds will be much more sensitive to the sweetness of stevia or Swerve so she won't feel deprived.  Truvia can be found in most supermarkets. 

If she is astute enough to use this product as her body adjusts, then you could provide her with the names and types of other sweeteners and where to find them.   

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
Mention doing some 'grounding/earthing' too.  I just did a post on that-  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,2372.0.html

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
The victim here needs a quack-ectomy (removing of her medical care providers), and to decide that she won't allow her non-supportive family to kill her. It's that blunt.

It may in fact already be too late to heal this bowel, but if she immediately surrenders to the resection, that guarantees that there will never be a full recovery, and she'll be managing the consequences for the rest of her life.

Her situation is almost certainly a direct result of gut-toxic consensus dietary advice, the present minefield of other gut-toxic food-like substances, and a lifetime of gratuitous prescription and OTC antibiotics.

With very cautious attention to microbiome support (ramp up prebiotic slowly), the WB program is easily worth a try. Either the 10-Day Detox, or the new Slim Guide would be straightforward places to start.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:10:16 AM »
This is exactly what I needed. Thanks to you all!! I will print the responses and show her that I am not the Lone Ranger.   I believe she relayed my hypothesis to her dr., and he said *I* was the crazy one! I'm not the one making country club dues payments by removing peoples colons!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:57 AM »
The victim here needs a quack-ectomy (removing of her medical care providers)

Good one.   I'm going to add that to my vocabulary!

Greentree -   Keep us up to date on your friend.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 06:18:26 AM »
It turns out to be cancer....the dr. Said he could not even out a pin in between the polyps. They are waiting on genetic test results to determine the best course of treatment. 

Thank you all for your input!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
Ugh... so sorry.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »

Sponsored Links