This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Cookies  (Read 1044 times)

Tbone27746797

• View Profile
Cookies
« on: February 01, 2017, 05:57:57 PM »
Mixed the all purpose baking mix....decided to make the peanut butter cookies.   Carefully followed both recipes...cookies fell apart at even the gentlest touch...son who is formally schooled in culinary arts sees an absence of anything to bind the cookie mix together....Any ideas, anyone?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Cookies
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:48:20 AM »
TBone,

It would really help if you listed the ingredients you used in your all-purpose mix and then provide the recipes you used.  Many of the recipes for cookies specify the size of the cookie and also suggest that you chill the cookie dough.  Other than that, until we get the ingredients and specific recipe, there is no way to figure out what went wrong for you.

Tbone27746797

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:16:44 AM »
   Thanks for the reply.   Being new to this lifestyle, used Dr. Davis' recipes from the 30-minute cookbook, page 19 and page 221.   His latest book says the mix recipe is tried and true, which is why we suspect the cookie recipe.   Thinking of adding something like xanthan gum to keep them from the cookies from falling apart.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
Tbone: Thinking of adding something like xanthan gum to keep them from the cookies from falling apart.

Xantham gum is an emulsifer. Don't do that.

Use a safe thickener.

We use coconut flour, and/or a bit of egg, and/or some buttermilk in our tweaked cookie recipes (that are, alas, not written down).

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »
This is a bit off the topic, but finding a cream for my coffee that doesn't have an emulsifier is difficult!  Using coconut cream (organic) is very appealing.  My local co-op has small cans of organic coconut cream, I think,  but was wondering if this can be whipped up to dairy cream consistency, and perhaps frozen in ice cube trays?  Would be nice to use one in my coffee each day, along with my butter, which I refuse to give up, by the way!  :)   Struggling a little giving up my dairy cream.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 02:36:26 AM »
Loanne,

There are several detailed tutorials on the web which show and tell you how to do this.  Type coconut cream recipes into your search engine.  Oh She Glows is a good site and shows you how to make a whipped coconut cream to freeze in ice cube trays or keep in your refrigerator for a week and lots of other helpful hints.  People who don't use dairy products have been making whipped coconut cream products for many years to place in coffee and other uses. 

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
Usually Trader Joes has heavy whipping cream
without anything else, but you've got to check
the ingredients, cause they change from store
to store.  I too avoid any emulsifiers.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »

Sponsored Links