This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Instant Pot  (Read 1831 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Instant Pot
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »
Does anyone have an Instant Pot? If so:

Do you like/love it?
What model?
What size?
Do you use it daily, weekly, monthly?
Any other info to share?

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Instant Pot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 08:50:28 PM »
I was considering getting one, but it fails our criteria for an advertised use: yogurt.

It only has a number of fixed temperature settings, and cannot be adjusted to any arbitrary temp. What it thinks is the yogurt range is too low for the cultures we use.

If anyone know of a slow cooker / pasteurizer / yogurt cooker with continuously variable set temp, and 4F regulation, let me know. It doesn't also have to be a pressure cooker, but does need to be not just for yogurt, and in particular we want one medium to large vessel, and not a heater for a bunch of jars.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »
Hi Deanna and Boundless,

I didn't like the Instant Pot for the same reasons Boundless mentioned.  However, I do have a SousVide (water bath) which I use to make my own yogurt.  There are portable ones which you can attach to a large pot and they keep the water temperature quite precise for as long as you choose. I make lots of custards using this.  The ramekins are placed on a rack in the water.  There isn't any churning of water so the custard sets without any splashing.  Never had a failure!   The other method is buy an inexpensive induction portable cooktop.  You would need a suitable size induction ready pot.  These cook to precise temperatures using magnetic energy.  Very energy efficient. Most have timing cycles though so you really have to check on the brand if you want to use it for long cooking items like bone broth.  I'm a big fan of induction because of the ability to really be precise when you want something to simmer or cook to "just below the boil". 

I find that using pressure cooker type methods doesn't change the consistency or taste as much as microwave cooking does.  However, it is an unnatural way to cook and there are probably issues about nutritional values using these methods.  Soup stock just doesn't taste the same, neither do beans.  Even beans cooked overnight in a crockpot will have more flavor and a creamier consistency than those cooked using the pressure method.  I'm a big fan of Indian curries.  They definitely do not taste as good when cooked in an Instant Pot. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm into decluttering and minimalism and just don't want to buy something I'm not gonna use.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
Several people I know are always raving about it.   I noticed they have a huge Facebook community:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:43 AM »
Rita,

I'm sure there are many fans of this pot.  It doesn't really take the place of a good pan to sear or saute' your food nor does it take the place of a good quality wok.  It many cases that doesn't matter.  Since most of us don't eat much in the way of rice or beans, those functions are not really needed or useful.  It does work very well for crockpot type functions and I do like the way it will sear meat for stew type meals.  That saves the cleanup  of using another pan to sear.  However, you can't really sear a steak or chop in it.  It is good for making soups. 

My opinion is that you are new to cooking and just furnishing your kitchen, then this is a good addition.  If not, then it is an expensive crockpot. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:43 AM »

Sponsored Links