This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Gelatin, wonderful stuff!  (Read 5300 times)

Sula

• View Profile
Gelatin, wonderful stuff!
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
Was reading Maria's journal this morning: http://mariahealth.blogspot.ca/ She has a write - up about gelatin. I use gelatin alot, in breads, muffins, cakes etc.
When I was little ( a zillion years ago ) I remember my mum and grandmother also using gelatin in baked goods.
It maybe the lazy low carber/ paleo/ WB persons "short" answer to bone broth. NOT say'n I'm lazy, just say'n in a pinch this might come in handy till we get those bones brew'n.
What say you?
Off topic: Holy cows is it ever raining this morning!

Sula

• View Profile
Re: Gelatin, wonderful stuff!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:08:29 PM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »
Fascinating article.  So I wonder what would be a high quality lazy person's source of gelatin.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:54:23 PM »
Wow Sula......a long read but well worth the effort....it not only reinforces my theory about eating the whole animal, head to toe, but it also validates my bone broth intake (I'm making another batch as my DH has now decided he likes the added energy!) I'm wondering if Alzheimer's and other age related brain disfunction began increasing with our condemnation of eating red meat as well as fats.

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »
So, am on days off and went to the big city for supplies. Bought more gelatin and some kefir  (amongst other things.) My plan is to stop using protein powder, I seem to have a problem with it( gives me a slight stomach ache.) I am going to make smoothies out of kefir, gelatin( for protein and thickener ),coconut oil ( for good fat ) and maybe cream ( also for fat.) I will add a few berries for taste and a sweetener. I will use this for breakfast and snacks. I will also start making my own kefir as i found out how easy it is to make and also how good it is for you. I have started a coconut milk kefir yesterday.
I am adding more and more gelatin to my food. Finding it adds a great "mouth feel" to foods.
Since it is STILL raining ( am thinking ARK!) Today will be spent doing inside stuff, so cooking is on my agenda. I cook usually on one day off and pack it in the freezer for work the rest of the days. I work an evening shift and REFUSE to eat the food at work. I love it when everyone at work smells what I am having and drool over it. BUT they still roll their eyes at the whole WB way of life. Silly ppl.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »
I wouldn't go with the Knox gelatin. It is made by Kraft foods...need I say more?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 03:08:44 AM »
Fascinating article.  So I wonder what would be a high quality lazy person's source of gelatin.

Anybody have anything on this? Also, I don't know how to use gelatin. Guess I need to research.

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
Yup, according to info. it's made by "Great Lakes"( thats the brand name.) I am unable to find it here, even in the big city, at the best health food store around. :( Also I can only buy it in small portions, but I think in the states, you can get it in big 1 lb. and bigger amounts.It 's VERY easy to use, has no taste of it's own. You just sprinkle it on, allow it to soften .... couple of min. ta-da! I put it in/on everything.
I grouched at the health food store and asked them to order in some good stuff in larger quantaties ... we'll see.
Anyway, everything I have read about gelatin is positive. It has become my new protein for shakes and smoothies, and my additive of choice.

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »
O! My coconut milk kefir is delish! I put gelatin (about 2 Tablespoons in about 1 1/2 cups kefir) a few drops of stevia, a teaspoon xylitol a small handful of blueberries, some coconut oil, and sometimes some full fat cream to up the fat and taste .... zoom it up with the emersion blender, waited a few mins for it to thicken ... YUM. 12 grams of protein per tablespoon of gelatin. Works for me.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
Sula.....is that particular gelatin from pastured cows?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
I wouldn't go with the Knox gelatin. It is made by Kraft foods...need I say more?

no... that says it all...

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
I am unable to get a good brand of Gelatin here. I talked to the health food store ppl and hopefully they will order some in. Until then I am stuck with questionable gelatin. BUT, if you are able to get the good stuff (Great Lakes is supposed to be the good one ) it is supposed to be very good for you.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 05:30:03 AM »
I have ordered some of the Great Lakes in the orange container, which is kosher from bovine sources. I plan to use it with my coconut yogurt as a thickening agent. Will let you know. I bought a container on Ebay since the seller offered just one with free shipping (and I had some money in Paypal for selling some fabric I didn't want. So I sold the fabric and bought some gelatin and PB8 probiotic with my profits! Gotta love eBay!). They have it all at Amazon, and I read some reviews and went with this one.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 06:03:57 AM »
Lyra.....after reading all the wonderful things about gelatin, I too ordered the 'Great Lakes' brand, although I got the one in the green can (not sure of the difference?).  This one is soluble in cold water and I just mixed it in cold water and drank it (my first day)......no taste. I'm hoping it will help with my sagging skin and bone health

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 03:33:20 AM »
Ooohh, we will have to compare notes. I don't really know the dif either. I thought maybe one was from cows and one was from pigs! Haven't received mine yet. I hope it clears up my sagging skin, too! That sounds a bit unrealistic at my age. ::)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 03:33:20 AM »

Sponsored Links