This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Amazon buying Whole Foods?  (Read 1172 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile

bill

• View Profile
Re: Amazon buying Whole Foods?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:51:13 AM »
Meh.  The only thing I buy at Whole Paycheck is dandelion greens.
Have you looked at their meat section?  Nothing but red.  They
trim off ALL the fat.  Wouldn't want to sell anything unhealthy now
would they?  And down the aisles is the same old crap as in any
other grocery store.  Starch and sugar in different forms.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »
That's true Bill.   If you go through their prepared deli foods, almost everything uses canola oil.  What I do like about their meats is that it's easier to get pasture-raised there.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
I agree with Bill.....meh!  I've given up on my local store unless they are having a really good special.  They aren't the only game in town anymore.  Other stores surpass them now with better variety and better prices.  The best part of this acquisition is that organic and healthier foods are now mainstream enough that Amazon would want to buy them and that the business of healthier food options is growing. 

Thinking back to 2012 when I first started grain and sugar free eating, I remember that I had to go to several different markets to find all the items needed.  I was astonished and very disappointed that Whole Foods didn't carry many of the items.  Now they do, but it took them a long time to get new products.

Like Rita said, their takeout is made with canola oil.  I found the rotisserie chickens just as tasteless and as overcooked as the supermarket chickens.  During the warmer weather now I rotisserie chicken which is pasture raised and not fed any soy.  What a difference in taste!  Salt and pepper are the only spices used and an onion in the cavity. I rub the skin with coconut or other high heat oil for crispness.  Tastes like chicken!  No need for all those rubs or marinades.  I do rub himalayan salt under the skin where possible.  Supermarkets are now carrying the same brands as Whole Foods just started carrying.   

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If true, it was probably salvation for Whole Paycheck, sort of.

Our priority list for sources of thing not found in general marts is:
1. Vitacost
2. Regional trendymarts ('round here: Sprouts, HyVee, Dillons, in that order)
3. Natural Grocer
4. Whole Paycheck
We work down to #4 like once per year, $20 max.

My guess is that, as HuffPo suggests, AMZN is going to use the WF sites as fulfillment for fresh foods ordered on Amazon.com. This might marginalize the retail shopping at those sites. They won't be able to have a 2-tier pricing system, and the web order prices have to compete with the other local brick&mortars, which is today something that WF seems unable to do.

The nutrition agenda just changed at WF as well. May cease to be vegetarian (with some condescending sales to everyone else).

On another downside, WF probably carries brands not sold on AMZN, and deliberately so per brand intention. Will the entire WF shelf-stable product line automatically be on AMZN now?

Stay tuned for turmoil.

If Amazon bought Barnes and Noble, would anyone notice?

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »

Sponsored Links