This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Stevia more effective than antibiotics in fighting lyme disease  (Read 2136 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Another benefit of stevia:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2017/01/25/study-finds-stevia-kills-lyme-disease-pathogen-better-than-antibiotics/

"The culprit behind Lyme disease, which is a bacterial infection, is spirochete bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. The antibiotics proven to kill this form of bacteria are doxycycline and amoxicillin. However, Borrelia burgdorferi can be found in morphological forms, including spirochetes, spheroplast (or L-form), round bodies, and biofilms. When conditions are considered unfavourable for the bacteria, it morphs into the dormant round body, then hides in a biofilm form. When conditions are favourable, however, it can shift back to its spirochete form.

The study on Stevia, titled “Effectiveness of Stevia Rebaudiana Whole Leaf Extract Against the Various Morphological Forms of Borrelia Burgdorferi in Vitro,” was conducted by researchers from the Department of Biology and Environmental Science at the University of New Haven in West Haven, Connecticut. The researchers concluded that “Stevia whole leaf extract, as an individual agent, was effective against all known morphological forms of B. burgdorferi.”

martygras

• View Profile
Re: Stevia more effective than antibiotics in fighting lyme disease
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »
Thanks Rita,
I just planted some Stevia in my herb garden this year and was wondering if there were any other uses besides sweetening. It's on my list to research. Long list though.

I occasionally throw a leaf or 2 in our green smoothie at breakfast. Yay Vitamix.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
Paper here, and note that it's from 2015, so not that recent:
Effectiveness of Stevia Rebaudiana Whole Leaf Extract Against the Various Morphological Forms of Borrelia Burgdorferi in Vitro.

Also, it's in Vitro (petri dish) and not in Vivo (animals, much less humans).

Which to me raises two questions:
  • Does it have any effect in actual human infections?
  • Does it have any adverse effect on other gut flora?
We'd like the answers to be Yes and No, but I won't be surprised if it's No and No.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
And gut flora is a very good point Bob.   If people are constantly using stevia in their beverages, how is that effecting gut flora?   This is where I want to learn more about left-spin vs right spin molecules.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:48:23 PM »
Rita: If people are constantly using stevia in their beverages, how is that effecting gut flora?

An eye is being kept on this. Recall that the 2011 Wheat Belly endorsed sucralose. It was dropped just as the gut flora topic arose. Dr. Davis is probably aware of the paper cited here, as it was linked to the Cureality forum when published, and referenced again in a discussions with a member diagnosed with Lyme.

re: This is where I want to learn more about left-spin vs right spin molecules.

How ambi-dextrorotary of you.

It may be that it only kills pathogenic microbes (stroke of luck, that, if true); or that it doesn't kill any in Vivo (so then likely of little use in Lyme).

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 09:51:10 AM »
How ambi-dextrorotary of you.

Why thank you.  lol

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:57:29 AM »
Just in case this helps with the discussion, I've been wheat/grain free for a little over 1-1/2 years and have had a chalazion (similar to a stye) develop in my eye requiring antibiotics. Once about 6 months ago and just this last weekend it's back.
I need to address this so I don't get my microbes wiped out so frequently.

I'll need to do a bit of research, but I am guessing that I need to asses my pre/pro-biotic intake. IDK maybe even pH levels affect this.

I'm currently trying to add D, magnesium & zinc . Next on the list is thyroid level assessment, and a couple other hundred things. :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
Marty,

Hot compresses usually help soften the fatty deposit causing the problem.  Massaging the eyelid afterwards helps as well.  There are many remedies online.  An eye doctor can remove it using local anesthesia and topical ointments if this is really bothersome.  Usually, these go away by themselves, although it can take months.

I like Dr. Ohhirra's Probiotics.  Many people recommend Prescript Assist.  The is also a new product out called Restore which tightens the junctions in our grain damaged, leaky intestines.  [size=78%]restore4life[/size]  This is the work of Dr. Zach Bush, MD and is cutting edge science.  I've had good success with this product.
There is a great deal of information available on youtube about this product and the science behind it. 

Rando

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 01:11:12 AM »
And gut flora is a very good point Bob.   If people are constantly update the wealthy affiliate stevia in their beverages, how is that effecting gut flora?   This is where I want to learn more about left-spin vs right spin molecules.

Maybe it's effective but I woul trust antibiotics to get the job done more.

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »
Well, I'm on the same antibiotic I was last time. Hot compresses are helping. No pain or itching, it just looks terrible.
Getting the right balance of probiotics is probably what I need to do next.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »
I've put a dab of honey in the corner of my eye before for an infection, and it worked well.

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/eye-infection.html

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
I've put a dab of honey in the corner of my eye before for an infection, and it worked well.

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/eye-infection.html

Rita, this is why I come here. These little anecdotal bits and pieces of what I call folk knowledge. There's so much forgotten remedies and practices.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 08:52:45 PM »
Rita, this is why I come here. These little anecdotal bits and pieces of what I call folk knowledge. There's so much forgotten remedies and practices.

I love learning about all those tidbits too ...  like sleeping with a bar of soap in the sheets for night time crampy legs.  :)

TracyFowler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 09:43:10 PM »
Quote from: Rita
I love learning about all those tidbits too ...  believe this phenq review like sleeping with a bar of soap in the sheets for night time crampy legs.  :)

"sleeping with a bar of soap in the sheets for night time crampy legs". This one is new to me. Does this really hep? I too suffer from crampy legs from time to time. Never mind. I'll try this myself. Seems to be magic.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
Tracy -  let us know how it works for you.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »

Sponsored Links