This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Does Glycerine raise your blood sugar levels?  (Read 2536 times)

HollyDuff

• View Profile
Does Glycerine raise your blood sugar levels?
« on: July 04, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
Hello All

I am seriously considering trying to go wheat free but we have just moved and we need to be a lot more organised and settled until we do; I don't want to set myself up to fail. In the meantime I have been following the advice of the Medical Medium and trying to improve my health problems with his recommendations for tinctures. The thing is he recommends the tinctures to be glycerine based and not in alcohol (he says they are more effective in this solution).
I noticed though that within a couple of months of taking them; I suddenly gained about half a stone in weight and I am wondering if the glycerine has anything to do with it because nothing else in my diet/lifestyle changed.

The place I buy the tinctures from insists that glycerine does not raise your blood sugar levels unduly even though it has a very sweet taste.

What do you folks think?

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Does Glycerine raise your blood sugar levels?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
It appears that glycerine becomes glucose only via gluconeogenesis, which is a pretty slow process.

As long as your Fasting BG, Postprandial BG, Triglyceride (TG) and HbA1c levels are within the desired range, I wouldn't worry about glycerine. And if any are elevated, there's a long list of more probable suspects, and for someone just starting on a lower-carb diet, they are going to be elevated, if not frankly high.

Targets for these markers might be:
FBG: 70-90 mg/dL (with some cautions below 70)
PPBG: no change, but peaking at 100 or less in any case
TG: 30-60 mg/dL
HbA1c: 4.0-5.0%

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
The  longer your are grain and sugar free, the better your blood values and weight will be.  These will vary with the foods you are actually eating and will stabilize once you have achieved what your body perceives as a normal weight for you.  It can take months to years for some people to fully recover from ingesting grains or too many carbohydrates or not drinking enough water.  Once you are back on track, you should see some stabilization of blood values and improvement in other health areas.

HollyDuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »
Hello Bob and Barbara

I haven't started to go grain free yet (though I am trying to consume less grains generally); so Bob I have no idea what the measures you are giving me even mean let alone know what mine actually are.
I thought I had posed my question was quite simply; did anyone think taking the tinctures in glycerine would be responsible for the rapid increase in weight (my weight had been relatively stable for a long time with a lot of effort from me; varying only by a few pounds). I gained about 8lbs within a couple of weeks and taking the tinctures was the only thing different in my diet....

I've stopped taking the tinctures because of this but if they are not the cause of the rapid increase; then I am depriving myself of some remedies that might have been helping my health situation in the absence of anything else.

With thanks
HollyDuff
[size=78%] [/size]

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
HollyDuff: I haven't started to go grain free yet...

Then you have lots of candidate explanations for undesired weight.

re: I thought I had posed my question was quite simply; did anyone think taking the tinctures in glycerine would be responsible for the rapid increase in weight...

My simple guess: no
See longer answer earlier for why.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »
Holly,

I agree with Bob.  Measure your sugar level.
At some point your body will become just too overwelmed with whatever it is that you are eating and it will not function well at all.
That is when you gain weight, find your blood pressure is high, sugar levels high, kidneys don't function well, thyroid doesn't function well and the list goes on.  The glycerine levels in the tinctures is incremental to your entire diet and the kind/quality of the food you eat.  Your body is telling you that it doesn't like what you are feeding it.  Learn to listen to what it is saying to you!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »

Sponsored Links