This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Chickens are Carnivors  (Read 897 times)

bill

• View Profile
Chickens are Carnivors
« on: September 02, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »

This is great.  I always wondered how someone
could raise bugs for chicken feed.  Turns out it's
doable:

http://www.eawag.ch/en/department/sandec/projects/mswm/black-soldier-fly-biowaste-processing/

I went to my local farmers market and talked to
the person I buy chicken hearts for (High CoQ10)
and she said she feeds her chickens about 30%
black soldier fly larvae and doesn't feed them
any grains.  I bought a chicken to roast.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Chickens are Carnivors
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 06:32:27 AM »
Hi Bill,

Interesting article.  Thank you for posting it.  Lets hope that this kind of research actually can be developed for practical use.

I've been purchasing pastured, free range chickens for the past year.  My experience is that they are MUCH tastier than the even the organic, hormone free chickens.  I find it a complicated process to figure out what to buy.  Too often the chickens with vegetarian feed labels are fed soy products which are highly contaminated with glyphosate and usually GMO as well. 

I like to rotisserie whole chickens now. For too many years the rotisserie chickens I made were just tasteless and not very enjoyable.  Now, I just use Himalayan salt under the skin and in the cavity which is stuffed with an onion to hold the bird in place on the skewer. I tie up the bird and place a tray of fluid under it to catch the drippings.   I will wipe the skin with a high temperature oil like avocado or coconut for crispness.  What flavor!  Chickens had gotten so tasteless than they needed marinades to taste like anything besides cardboard.  We now know the CAFO raised chickens are the flavorless ones. So I gulp and overlook the price of the free range, pastured, no soy fed chickens.  The meat is so tasty and tender that a gravy is hardly even needed for the usually dry chicken breast.  Of course, the skin and bones are frozen for making bone broth which always has a lot of collegen.

By the way, I purchase with D'Artigan Green Cricle Chickens in my supermarket or from an Amish farmer listed on farmmatch.com who delivers locally.

Bill, would you share how you prepare your chicken hearts? 

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:52:43 AM »
I usually use leftover steak to make a stew to which
I add chicken livers and chicken hearts.  Some onions
some mushrooms.  It's all chopped up in there.
Nothing special.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:52:43 AM »

Sponsored Links