This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Primal diet?  (Read 3961 times)

Bing

• View Profile
Primal diet?
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:48:34 AM »
I'm sure some of you came across / read into 'Primal'?

Is it me or is this diet 'just' a way to justify eating loads of all things once labeled bad but people loved so much?

I just don't think our ancestors had access to loads of fat, eggs and meat DAILY.

lyra

• View Profile
Re: Primal diet?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 05:05:58 AM »
Bing, I am glad you are bringing up the topic. I am in the learning process here, so I will be following this topic closely. Lots of different information out there on what constitutes primal. Certainly there are lots of parallels to be drawn with WB.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:30:10 AM »
My diet is primarily primal...ha ha...that's funny.  ;D Anyway, while I do eat meat on a daily basis, eggs a few times a week, and I don't worry about the fat at all I'd hardly say I eat "loads" of anything.  I still eat plenty of vegetables and occasionally fruit.  And honestly, eating primal keeps me so full, I just don't have the stomach capacity to eat high volume, so in effect I'm eating less than when I was eating the typical low-fat, moderate carb-protein type of diet.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:06:04 AM by Teresa »
~Teresa

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
Many people who follow primal or paleo type diets also do intermittent fasting - partly in response to exactly the point Bing raises - i.e. that our ancestors did not have 24/7 access to food.  However, most of what they did eat would be animal meat, fat, seafood, maybe a few eggs now & then, alternating with small amounts of other foods and then only in season (berries, herbs, very small amounts of grains).   The major point is that our ancestors did not have access to a steady supply of carbs so these diets are generally low or very low carb.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »
Nobody is going to accurately mimic the totality of our ancestral life.  It isn't just about the food - it's a total lifestyle. 

The point is, there are foods that were available, albeit sporadically or seasonally, to us for the vast majority of our evolution.  Animal products were a significant part of that, although the degree to which we actively hunted versus scavenged carrion is debatable.  We're better adapted to dealing with those foods that were with us through most of our evolution than we are to the new arrivals.  All grains, particularly the ones we've either unnaturally selected or intentionally engineered are new arrivals.  Dairy products are new arrivals.  Legumes are relatively new arrivals.  Refined and/or processed anything are new arrivals.

You're absolutely right that there wasn't a daily supply of these ancestral foods.  That's most likely how we evolved our rainy day storage system - fat.  Those who were able to "set a little bit aside" during times of plenty survived times of hardship.  We're still spoiled now but the good news is that our bodies also have a relatively efficient method of telling us how much we need to eat and when - but this all goes out the window if we're eating certain foods known to mess up that system. 

WB targets the worst offenders by completely eliminating them.  Most paleo/primal/ancestral diets offer much of the same thing.  I choose to work from an ancestral framework and do constant research on individual foods to decide whether or not I will choose to have them be a part of my life. 

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:22:11 AM »
lol ok sorry, I might have been reading just all the wrong comments etc on forums about the primal diet where people do 20 eggs , shiploads of bacon, flush it away with a gallon of melted lard and call that break fast.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »
...The major point is that our ancestors did not have access to a steady supply of carbs so these diets are generally low or very low carb.

I would have not survided back then if the above is true lol.
I tried LC to VLC a couple of times and it doesn't work for me, I don't get carb flu for a couple of weeks, I get carb hell which will not pass but get worse if I don't up carbs a little.
Dropping all grains and other junk, I guess, made enough of a difference in my carb intake already.

Frits Muskiet, a dutch professor, and his team lived with some of the west african tribes who still live and eat like their ancestors and found that indeed they don't consume grains or dairy. They live mainly off fruit, some veggies, and lean meat. They don't add any extra fat though, they do eat the whole animal, the quality of the meat is superior to most meat we have access to which tends to be not lean for example. They also do a whole lot of walking and socializing. They live to grow (healthy) old, but so do people in the 'blue zones' and eskimos.

I guess there is no one optimal diet but a bunch of diets pointing us in the right direction.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:30:26 AM by Bing »

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:30 AM »
lol ok sorry, I might have been reading just all the wrong comments etc on forums about the primal diet where people do 20 eggs , shiploads of bacon, flush it away with a gallon of melted lard and call that break fast.

As with pretty much anything, there are always extremists who (unintentionally maybe) do more harm than good for an otherwise worthy cause.   :)
~Teresa

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »

As with pretty much anything, there are always extremists who (unintentionally maybe) do more harm than good for an otherwise worthy cause.   :)

I know, but there are A LOT of them on primal forums lol.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
Don't you know only crazy people hang out on internet forums???  ;D
~Teresa

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 09:59:31 PM »
Don't you know only crazy people hang out on internet forums??? 

lol  :P

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »
lol, must be some truth to that as I hang out here.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »

Sponsored Links