This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Canteloupe  (Read 857 times)

littlbit

• View Profile
Canteloupe
« on: October 09, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »

Ate 3 small cubes of cantaloupe the other day.  Keep trying to attach a picture but it is not working.  They were maybe 1/2 inch long by 1/2 inch.  Got such a bad craving today for pasta (which) I haven't had since April.  Actually started boiling water, but caught myself and ate a piece of fish instead.  Can't believe that those three small cubes could induce that much of a craving.  Either there is more sugar in cantaloupe than I realized or I am very sensitive to sugar even in small doses.  Any thoughts?

bill

• View Profile
Re: Canteloupe
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »
"...there is more sugar in cantaloupe than I realized or I am very sensitive to sugar even in small doses."
[/size]
[/size]Yes to both.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:01:38 PM »
Wow! I really will have to be careful then. The good news is I didn't waiver. I'm up to a 26 lb. loss and the only thing that isn't falling into place yet is a good night's sleep.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »
The same thing happens to me!  I rarely eat any fruit, but was handed a basket of mangoes this summer.  Oh my they were delicious!  All of a sudden I started craving more carbs, especially breads.  I didn't succumb, but that was only because after nearly 5 years of eating the Wheat Belly way, there wasn't anything in my pantry to satisfy those cravings.  I did make pancakes from the Wheat Belly Cookbook, but didn't even have any syrup.  Used the Wheat Free Market sweetener.

I have noticed that cherries were delicious this year.  I ate a few and was more than satisfied.  Peaches, plums, nectarines and other summer fruits were basically mealy and tasteless.  I started buying 1 or 2 if they looked good, but they rotted before they ripened and were so tasteless that I wasn't even tempted to buy them anymore.  The cantaloupes and other melons were mealy and tasteless. Organic strawberries and blueberries were fine, but I was neutral about eating them.  Papayas and mangoes are delicious, but really sweet and should be eaten only occasionally if at all.  Ayurvedic Medicine believes that seasonal foods are best and the sweet fruits of summer are appropriate to eat.  With winter coming, fruits are less available naturally and so shouldn't be eaten.  I find that I need to drink a lot of water and lower my carb intake drastically when I eat a small amount of mango or papaya.  I will often freeze the slices into very small portions. 

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:24:11 PM »
Thanks Barbara! My pantry no longer has anything that is carb loaded but I'm staying with a friend as I am between apartments. She had pasta in her pantry. Luckily, I shut off the pot of water and didn't sucumb. Oddly this craving hit me immediately on waking from a nap. I'm sticking to my berries, an occassional apple, and half a green banana. I switch these up every so often.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:33:41 AM »
Littlbit,

Dr. Robert Lustig was interviewed by Dr. David Perlmutter recently.  Dr. Lustig's new book Fat Chance: The Bitter Truth About Sugar discusses the dopamine-serotonin cycle and how sugar is addictive and really causes havoc in people.  Some people are more susceptible to the behavioral changes and the pursuit of pleasure caused by sugar.  It is an interesting discussion.

I am amazed at how just the smallest bite of something with sugar makes me crave more.  Anything with hidden fructose does the same.  The longer I am sugar free, the stronger it seems the effects are on my brain.  I use organic stevia to sweeten coffee and Swerve or Virtue for any of the few homemade baked goods I eat.  I think my diet has been low carb/ketogenic long enough that even the high amounts of carbs from some of those mixes or baked goods available readymade in supermarkets can trigger a craving for more starchy carbs. 

Can't wait to read the book!  He explains how behavior changes when the dopamine-serotonin cycle is out of balance.  This includes so much of the irrational things people do, hot headed emotion among other self defeating behaviors.  No wonder the news is filled with so many bizarre reports of horrid behavior.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:28:02 AM »
Hey Barbara...thanks for the post. Definitely want to read the book. Every little bit helps! :)

TracyFowler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
Amazing! I truly should be cautious at that point. The uplifting news is I didn't waiver. I'm up to a 26 lb. misfortune and the main thing that isn't becoming alright yet is a decent night's rest.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »

Sponsored Links