This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: A Lay Review of the AACCI “Analysis” [Part 1 of 7]  (Read 14435 times)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
A Lay Review of the AACCI “Analysis” [Part 1 of 7]
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:01:04 PM »
The base article for this thread has been updated, merged with the other 6 parts, migrated to, and is now being maintained on, the Cureality forum at:
A Lay Review of the AACCI “Analysis”

I remain a WFF user, and WFF users are welcome to continue commenting on it here, but I only want to maintain it in one place.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:05:50 AM by Boundless »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: A Lay Review of the AACCI “Analysis” [Part 1 of 7]
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »
Looks like an interesting read.   I'm off to go camping, so I'll have to wait until I get back to read it.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 03:47:26 AM »
A quick search finds that she is a board certified and Licensed Nutritionist, and a professor of nutrition in the Department of Family, Consumer and Nutritional Sciences at the College of St. Catherine in St. Paul. She is a scientific advisor for the Joint Institute of Food Safety and Nutrition for the University of Maryland and the US Food and Drug Administration. She is a scientific advisor to the carbohydrate committee of the International Life Sciences Institute. She is on the scientific advisory panel for the Grains Food Foundation and Chartwell. She is on the General Mills speaker's bureau, speaking to health professionals nationwide. She has co-organized conferences on whole grains. She is Chair of the AACCI's Whole Grains Working Group.

That says it all for me. Thanks Boundless.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:46:20 AM »
Thanks Boundless.....This is one study that my DIL (with a newly acquired masters in mainstream nutritional education) mentions to refute our WB lifestyle. I'll download and print it for her!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
Boundless,
You old pal, Julie Jones, is at it again. She is expected to release her critique of 'Grain Brain" later this month in one of the industries monthly journals....get ready!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
The article I saw today is (hopefully) linked below.....BTW her email is: juliemjones@comcast.net

http://www.ift.org/food-technology//past-issues/2013/september/columns/foodmedicinehealth.aspx

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »
Boundless.... I emailed Ms Julie  your critique of her analyais of 'Wheat Belly', which I thought was absolutely BRILLIANT ....hope that is ok with you.....thought it might be appropriate since your review was so thorough and 'spot on'.  Apparently the grain industry is 'ramping up' to counterattack the ground swelling 'anti grain' movement....never hurts to throw a few logs on the fire! 8)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
The article I saw today is (hopefully) linked below.....http://www.ift.org/food-technology//past-issues/2013/september/columns/foodmedicinehealth.aspx

Oh brother!  Just read the article.  Definitely an organization that is all about GMO foods.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »
"We are an easy target", "fad will hang on longer than it should" seem to be the thrust of the article.  The "disappearance of wheat has increased per capita" is not exactly a clear statement of what she is talking about.

The fact that there isn't any mention of improved health following this grain and sugar free way of eating is astonishing.  I am not a fool, nor would I follow a way of eating that is making me sick.  I feel better with a WB approved diet and will not go back to the government's suggested diet which made me sick in the first place.

This article is of such poor quality that I'm thinking of her as "Grain Brain".

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:19:00 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »
Especially interesting...."the grain counsel is working with it's members to identify & respond to 'anti-grain' media reports &  has developed media kits....also have COMMISSIONED Julie Jones to write a critique of "Grain Brain".....bought and paid for! We probably have some of their grain trolls wandering around on this site too!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:06:18 AM »
Great links, but scary.  I particularly liked three things: 1) Plant breeding can't cause DNA expression of DNA not already present, well: duh!  So, she is saying all DNA sequences are beneficial? I'll be sure to comfort my dead relatives with that news.  2) she advocates a mix of whole grain and enriched grain.  Explain to me why my grain needs 'enriching' again?  3) she even says that excess carbohydrates and fat and calories are causing ill health.  I guess that grain brain Barbara mentioned has gotten to her and she doesn't recognize grain as carbohydrate.  Do we have a new macronutrient group now?  This is a perfect case of 'engage brain before shifting mouth into gear' (as long as your brain isn't suffering from grain!).

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »
By the way, the industries involved must feel rather threatened by their diminishing sales.  They didn't respond to any other "fads" so why does a low carb diet even need a response?

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »
Boundless, you're great.  Barbara, I hope they do feel threatened, I hope they are threatened.  The idea that if something is good for one group that all groups should be forced to follow smacks more of fanatacisim than scientific method.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »
Interesting....Julie Jones, in one of the above articles says "plant breeding cannot generate proteins that are absent in in the DNA of the parent plant". But Dr. D says (and sites references) that analysis of expressed proteins demonstrates that while 95% are the same.....5% are unique and not found in EITHER parent! I hope someone blows her out of the water!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »
Jan,

Not to worry!  My theory is that until the industry really believes it is being threatened by loss of consumers, they will replace Ms. Jones with lobbyists who can, at the very least, present a credible argument extolling the "wonders" of modern wheat.  They will employ a few top tier advertising  firms and we all will be considered un- American if we don't have any products containing the "amber waves of grain" in our shopping carts. 

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »
> I emailed Ms Julie your critique of her analysis of 'Wheat Belly', ...
> ...hope that is ok with you...

My assumption on posting it back in June was that she would become aware of it within hours of it being indexed by search engines, by a disgruntled student of hers if not by other means. I didn't bother to attempt contact myself, since it was apparent there'd be no point (based on my impression that she doesn't respond to comments when her articles are posted on various sites).

If we were to get a response, chances are it would have happened by now.

But I suspect that all of these Big Grain spokespeople are either locked into "this can't be true" postures, or they have made irrevocable Faustian bargains. They can't afford to change their minds, in all senses of "afford", regardless of the actual results people get when they quit grains.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »
>or they have made irrevocable Faustian bargains. They can't afford to change their minds, in all senses of "afford", regardless of the actual results people get when they quit grains.<
That gets my vote, Boundless.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »

Sponsored Links