This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: New to all this  (Read 397 times)

Scott

• View Profile
New to all this
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
You've probably heard this a thousand times but here it goes.

Difficultly treating high blood pressure drove my GP to send me to the cardiologist and she suggested I read Wheat Belly by Dr Davis when what I was doing wasn't working.  My labs all looked good but the high blood pressure and obesity have been a bear to deal with.  And diabetes runs in one side of my family.  I don't want to wait until it's actually a problem to do something about it.  I've been trying hard to lose weight as the past has shown it has an impact on my BP as well as not wanting to be fat anymore.  So I got the audio book since I have a long commute and don't sit and read much and I finished it this morning.  What an eye opener.  While I wasn't doing everything wrong, a lot of what I was doing wrong I thought was doing it right.  My GP had me on the "Healthy Whole Grains", low fat, etc kind of regime and a ton of exercise that was accomplishing very little.  I am looking at all the foods in my kitchen that I thought were healthy with new eyes.  And it's not pretty.  I already picked up hard copies of the cookbook and 30 minute cookbook.  I found this forum while trying to find alternatives to regular foods that won't be a huge hassle to acquire or make.  The trouble I'm having online is that, for the most part, with online resources "wheat-free" is just a synonym for "gluten-free" and not truly wheat free in the Wheat Belly sense of the term.

I have another appointment with her the end of February and want to have some real progress to report.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: New to all this
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum.   I understand where you are at.  I was following the American Heart Association guidelines before reading Wheat Belly.   Afterwards I felt totally duped by everything I had previously learned and heard about nutrition.   I had to do a complete makeover in my kitchen. 

Here are some handy links which may be helpful for meal prep:

Breakfast ideas:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,19.0.html

Dinner ideas thread:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html

Other recipes:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/board,4.0.html

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:58:05 PM »
Scott: ... and she suggested I read Wheat Belly by Dr Davis

If that's the original 2011 book, be aware that the program has added considerably to it since then, with the current advice being found in Undoctored (2017). None of the original book has been contradicted by the later program developments, but some of them are of some import (gut flora primarily, a topic still being developed).

re: My GP had me on the "Healthy Whole Grains", low fat, etc kind of regime and a ton of exercise that was accomplishing very little.

On the contrary, it keeps such GPs fully employed, a subtle bias that may help motivate them to not question the gaping holes in their training.

re: The trouble I'm having online is that, for the most part, with online resources "wheat-free" is just a synonym for "gluten-free" and not truly wheat free in the Wheat Belly sense of the term.

Gluten-free tends to be wantonly high carb, as you've discovered, and both "low carb" and "paleo" tend to be oblivious to the non-carb hazards of grains.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:58:05 PM »

Sponsored Links