This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Starting a New Journey  (Read 445 times)

Madorman49

• View Profile
Starting a New Journey
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
Having recently finished reading and re-reading Dr. Davis' WB book, I'm beginning my journey to a glueten-wheat-grain free lifestyle.  Although kinda late in life to begin (68) I'm assuming that beginning late is better than not trying at all.  My biggest fear in life is becoming a blind, amputee on dialysis with pending Alzheimers.

After reading the book and looking back, I strongly suspect that many of my past medical issues were related to my consumption of G-W-G's.  This is especially telling since for the last 60 years, I never met a carb or grain that I didn't love.  My diet was probably 75% or more carbs.

I have already begun eliminating obvious sources of G-W-G and feel better already.  Once I have this elimination process under control, I'll start eliminating the not-so obvious sources.

I'm hoping that both my health and weight will be positively effected by this dietary change.

Advice is always welcome.

PS - I'm super excited about this change in my life!

bill

• View Profile
Re: Starting a New Journey
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »
Welcome and I wish you the best.

Madorman49

• View Profile
Day 2 - Going Well
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »
Today has started out well and by mid-afternoon seems on a good vector.

For breakfast (a real challenge since I usually have instant oatmeal, a bagel or toast) I had 2 boiled eggs chopped up and mixed with mayo and mustard.  Tasty and filling.

Around noon, although not really hungry, I had a block of cheddar cheese.  Thought I ought to eat something before going to work out.  Work out went well - it usually does, but I was concerned given my new dietary decision.

After working out, I wanted just a little something, so I indulged in one of my favorite little snacks.  Kraft Pimento Cheese Spread (see picture attached) - although in the past, I would have it on saltine crackers.  Today, I just slowly ate a small portion off a spoon.  It occurred to me rather too late that I should have checked the label.  The label was rather unenlightening, so I checked out several websites that deemed it glueten free (although these sites did NOT say grain free).  Additionally, it is certainly not carb free.  Lesson learned.

For dinner, I've planned chicken and fresh green beans.  Yum!

Madorman49

• View Profile
Day 3 - Even Better
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
This morning I weighed myself and was suprised to see a drop of 2 pounds.  Happy about this and determined to keep on a good path.

Even more important is that I just realized that my hot flashes have stopped.  I began having these about 6 years ago and they have plagued me night and day without cease.  Hopefully, removing G-W-Gs from my diet will keep them at bay.

For lunch I made a tuna salad with non-farmed, non-GMO tuna.  A little mayo, lemon juice and celery.  It was good and very filling.

I'm off to the local town center to spend a couple of hours swimming.

Madorman49

• View Profile
Alternative Reading
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
Since I'm reading all about the problems with Wheat and Grains, I also picked up a book by David Perlmutter called Grain Brain.  While it expanded on the theme of Wheat Belly, it was not as compelling a read.  The science was good, but the narative was not riveting.  I felt much more engaged and excited with Wheat Belly.  Even so, I'm glad that I read it as it reinforced my understanding of the concepts.

Madorman49

• View Profile
Day 4 - The Effort is Still Alive
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 06:58:20 PM »
Today was awesome.  My weight dropped a little more.  But even more importantly, my mood is evening out.

Usually my mood rises and falls several times a day, but I always thought it was for no particular reason. In the past, I took something to mellow me out when I felt I was spiralling out of control.

For the past 5 days, I have been noticeably even keeled. Even people around me think so.  Wow! What a relief to me.  Wonder if this is also related to the reduction of hot flashes and night sweats?

Currently reading Dr. Davis' book Wheat Belly Total Health.  It is an update and expansion on his earlier work.  I really like his message and his style.  He certainly explains alot and connects the dots on so many subjects.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 04:47:22 AM »
There are many easy to make recipes on this site to vary your diet and cook your meals.  Worth it to browse.  Wishing you much success and health!

By the way, as you get used to this way of eating, you really begin to taste the food.  You start to enjoy the pastured, organic, grass fed, etc. items which are raised in a sustainable manner.  Sure they are more expensive to purchase, but your health will improve markedly, your doctor visits will be fewer, you won't have a medicine cabinet full of OTC and prescription drugs.  Bottom line is that after eating this way for a while, you will actually save money and feel much more energetic.   

Madorman49

• View Profile
Day 6 - Continuing the Good Work
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:54:10 AM »
I've been working out somewhat on most days and although it is difficult (no energy at times), it is still better than nothing or just sitting around watching TV.

In between, I'm reading a different book.  It's rather heavy reading, but very informative.  It's about the history of nutrition and how we got to the sad point that we're at today - the low fat and hi-carb healthy-whole-grains movement.  It is Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

As far as my eating is going, it's all centered on non-labeled intake.  I'm not having to read and worry about hidden constituents if there is no label.  This method certainly has decreased both my appetite urges and my total intake.

Madorman49

• View Profile
Thanks, Barbara!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
There are many easy to make recipes on this site to vary your diet and cook your meals.  Worth it to browse.  Wishing you much success and health!

By the way, as you get used to this way of eating, you really begin to taste the food.  You start to enjoy the pastured, organic, grass fed, etc. items which are raised in a sustainable manner.  Sure they are more expensive to purchase, but your health will improve markedly, your doctor visits will be fewer, you won't have a medicine cabinet full of OTC and prescription drugs.  Bottom line is that after eating this way for a while, you will actually save money and feel much more energetic.

Barbara, thanks for your input.  Although it does cost a bit more, I'm switching to better foods as you indicated above.  In the long run, I think it will prove cost effective when I consider that I will eat less (enjoy it more) and reduced reliance on costly OTC or prescription druges.

I will check out the recipes later today! :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
Welcome!   You are doing great!

Madorman49

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
Finished reading the new book today.  I was totally amazed at how the old boy's club kept us in the high-carb mess for so long.  It was all group think and don't bother me with facts, I have my mind already made up.They basically trashed anyone with an alternative viewpoint, particularly low-carb.  I'm amazed that anyone (Davis and Taubes) even bothered to take such a beating.Went swimming today and enjoyed it no end. 
The best part about this dietary effort is that my DH is on board with it and is happy with his progress too.I have 2 more books on hold at the library to be picked up.  Undoctored by Davis and Why we Get Fat and What to do About it by Taubes.

Madorman49

• View Profile
Returned from a Trip
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »
Just back from a trip and have learned a few things.  While I was traveling, I noticed that my blood pressure still wasn't coming down again.

So I just made a stronger effort to remove wheat from diet in all its forms and parts. Additionally I'm working hard to keep my carbs to under 10 per meal or 20 per day.  A day after eliminating wheat, my blood pressure has dropped to normal levels.Doing additional reading, but most of the other books cling to the whole "healty whole grains" mantra.  Tossing those books aside as I go.Went through all my supplements and prescriptions to ensure no wheat or glueten.  All is well there.

Have a doctor's appointment in 2 weeks.  Having blood tests done before then.  Have sent the doctor a note asking to have the tests for Transglutaminase antibodies and/or Endomysium antibodie added to my upcoming blood test.  Might be useful. 

Anything else, I ought to ask for?  We'll be discussing the findings of my blood test when I next see him.

Wheat Free Forum

Returned from a Trip
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »

Sponsored Links