This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Meat and eggs also spike insulin  (Read 424 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Meat and eggs also spike insulin
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:16:08 AM »
Here's something surprising: "High protein, virtually no-carb foods like meat and eggs, while low on the glycemic index, measured high on the insulin index. In other words, while the meat and eggs didnít cause a spike in blood sugar the way most carbohydrates do, they did result in an unexpectedly significant rise in insulin. "

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/insulin-index/

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Meat and eggs also spike insulin
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:43:21 AM »
This is true, and has been known for quite a while, just not talked about by medical community, for obvious reasons.  See Joseph Kraft interview with Ivor Cummins.  I have been incorporating Intermittent fasting on daily basis now, and also a few extended fasts.  It would seem that the only time we truly don't see much insulin in our system, is when we fast.  Although, there seems to be evidence, that cortisol can also lead to high insulin output.  I seem to be one of those, stress and anger - for instance - can cause insulin spikes, and symptoms of that is high blood pressure and edema.  Lucky me.  8)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:08:55 PM »
Barb-  I think that great that you do IF.

Here's an article that I thought did a great job of explaining cortisol's impact on insulin. 
https://idmprogram.com/closer-look-cortisol-hormonal-obesity-xxxx/

I think I'm up there on the cortisol too.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 05:44:23 AM »
Aha!  The importance of eating vegetables with proteins stabilizes cortisol levels.  This can't be stressed enough.  I found that making sure half to 3/4ths of my plate is vegetables keeps weight off, evens out moodiness/fatigue and encourages my stomach to produce enough acid so digestion improves.  I've been fixing a lot of Thai food, making sure I leave out the sugar or use stevia and other Oriental type stir fries.  Cabbage "crack slaw" recipes are good as well.  Big difference in digestion! 

Thanks for the article Rita.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »

Barbara- I think the 3/4 veggie strategy is a great way to look at it.   I've got a lot of cabbage growing in my garden this year.  :) 

Here's something else interesting. In my ketogenic diets, I've always done a lot of cheese, because it's low carb and high fat. Not so good if you are insulin resistant.

Apparently "high dairy intake is a significant predictor of insulin resistance in middle-aged, nondiabetic women." This is because of the whey and casein in cheese.

Mark Sisson says "Dairy intake, you see, stimulates insulin secretion. Lots and lots of it Ė more than can be explained by the lactose (a sugar) content. In fact, the lactose content of dairy doesnít even have a big insulin effect when compared to other carbs."

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jdr/2015/206959/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
Rita,

I think Mark Sisson is quite correct.

This article was very interesting to me.  Several years ago, one of the Forums posters wrote about how delicious the high fat Greek yogurts were.  Add fruit, spices like pumpkin pie spice or similar and stevia or Swerve and it was as if you were eating a tangy ice cream or pudding.  Delicious! Healthy!  I gained weight rapidly.  I also noticed that I began eating cheese on a daily basis as well as lots of dairy in cooking and the weight didn't drop.  Even organic dairy purchased in supermarkets didn't change the weight issues.  Once I found my Amish raw dairy source, I found that I was eating fewer dairy products, but enjoying them more.  I was satisfied with smaller and smaller amounts of cheese and yogurt/kefir/cottage cheese and would go for longer and longer periods of time without eating them.  I only used the milk for my coffee.  Weight dropped right off!  No cravings.  No snacking.  No need for a "pick me up" like coffee or fruit.

One of my favorite recipes is Beef and Cabbage by Wellness Mamma.  Quick, easy and tastes even better the next day.  Freezes well too.  Heat and eat.
No dairy.  Use some radishes and they provide a mouth feel like potatoes without the carbs.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:08:34 PM »
This may surprise you.

Results from this meta-analysis of eighteen randomised controlled trials show no significant effect of 100 % fruit juice on fasting blood glucose, fasting blood insulin, insulin resistance as evaluated by HOMA-IR or HbA1c.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5736636/

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »
Here is an interesting video on insulin responses to various food combinations:

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »

Sponsored Links