This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: What did you eat for dinner tonight? - ( You can update this thread daily! )  (Read 50842 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
I made an easy dinner tonight because I had Zumba from 5:30-6:30.   I didn't feel like doing a lot of cooking when I got home, so I just pan fried some talipia fillets in lemon juice and lemon pepper, with brocoli.   A pretty basic meal.  Nothing exciting.

What did you all have for dinner tonight?   Or,  what will you be cooking for dinner tonight?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:43:39 AM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: What did you eat ( or what are you making) for dinner tonight?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »
Hi Rita,
First of all, I'm thrilled that you started this site!  You are definitely dedicated to this lifestyle....thanks.  Secondly, a few years ago, we were eating more talipia while in the north since it was abundant and less expensive. A friend told me to check it out online, and when I did, found out that it is farm raised and fed GMO corn, as well as antibiotics and hormones! What normal fish eats corn?  The omega 3 & 6's can be screwed as well. Will it get to the point when we're scared to eat anything?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
Thanks Jan.

And really?  Feeding GMO corn to talipia?

I tell ya...  we humans are ruining our food supply.

anntsy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »
Last night I made Pizza with Dr Davis' #1 Pizza Crust in his cookbook (the one with almond flour, flax meal, a little garbanzo flour and lots of ground up mozzarella in the crust).  He said it would be firm and easy to hold in your hand.  I was doubtful because I had tried several other similar non-wheat crust recipes and they all crumbled at least some (but were tasty).  This one is amazing!!!  You can slice it up and pick it up and eat it.   I added chopped raw spinach, chopped onions, fresh chopped basil over sauce and mozzarella.   It was a little thick - kind of like foccacia.   I think next time I will add a little more garlic and onion powder to the crust dough for more flavor.  Also I recommend spreading the dough quite thin.  His recipe made one thick crust pan of pizza about 10x16.  I am going to try a larger pan next time and making the crust thinner.  This one is a keeper, though.  - A

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Tonight I'm going to make Mexican hamburgers...  and it will be super easy.

I went to Sprouts and got some hamburger patties from the deli.  The patties have hunks of green chilis and pepperjack cheese in it.  ( Of course you can do this on your own too... but I took the lazy way ).

Then, I'll cook up those patties, and then pour a jar of the 505 green chili sauce on it  ( It's in all the local grocery stores, but here's what it looks like http://www.505chile.com ).

I'll put some shredded cheese on it, and add some sour cream, sliced avocado, lettuce and tomato.

Bing

• View Profile
Just finished a big plate of zucchini pasta (bought a Julliene peeler today!), stir fried beef balls and bacon bits in tomato / pumpkin sauce, some baby lettuce and cottage cheese.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Well turns out my son was sick, so I decided to save the Mexican hamburgers for tomorrow  ( since he's addicted to green chili ).

So I tried something a little different, inspired by a recent outing with my girlfriends to Garbanzo's Mediterranean Grill.

Have you every heard of baba ganoush before?   I hadn't.  But boy is it good.   It looks like hummus.   It's mushed eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and parsley.  I followed this recipe for it:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/babaganoush-recipe/index.html

I also bought some feta/spinach sausages at Sprouts.

Then I did a little red cabbage side salad of chopped red cabbage, lemon juice, olive oil, and a little balsamic vinaigrette.

I also had bought some hummus so I put that on the plate as well.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:21:26 PM by Rita »

Tsumpter

• View Profile
We ate a big pan of mixed fresh steamed veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower), and leftover lasagna that I made yesterday. I tried that delicious-looking recipe on WB blog by Maria E. it was wonderful yesterday and even better leftover! I used zucchini slices per someone's suggestion and it was perfect. And for dessert we had one of the WB choc chip cookies. I bake up a batch and keep them frozen so we can take out one or two whenever.

One of my favorite meals that I had this weekend is taco salad. I make it with a bed of lettuce, topped with taco meat (Trader Joes taco seasoning and hamburger), sour cream, avacado slices, black olives, shredded cheddar cheese, and no-sugar-added taco sauce or salsa. YUMMMY!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
We ate out last night...we each had a sirloin salad and wine to drink.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Just finished a big plate of zucchini pasta (bought a Julliene peeler today!), stir fried beef balls and bacon bits in tomato / pumpkin sauce, some baby lettuce and cottage cheese.

Bing, I'd like to know how you made your zucchini pasta. I found a recipe some time ago, but it seemed kind of complicated. I prefer easy :))

Bing

• View Profile

Bing, I'd like to know how you made your zucchini pasta. I found a recipe some time ago, but it seemed kind of complicated. I prefer easy :))

Use a julliene peeler, easy!. then drop it in boiling water for like a minute or so, then rinse with cold water so it stays 'al dente', then some olive oil, salt, pepper to taste.

The sauce... I used a big fresh tomato, diced then sauteed with some garlic and the beef balls and bacon bits, then added tomato frito and dried herbs/spices. Oh... I fried the balls and bacon first lol.

Wash and cut the lettuce.

Put all on plate, some extra olive oil and cottage cheese.

Eat!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Bing, your zucchini pasta sounds great! Thanks for the info :))

Janet389

• View Profile
This was my lunch.  I found that the pancake recipe in the WBCB is great to use to make a sandwich.  I took a pancake, cut it in two and spread a little mayo on it then added uncured ham.  I was wonderful and a quick sack lunch. 

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
Janet, I'm stealing your sandwich idea.  :)

Last night we had garden fresh meatloaf (see recipe section) and kale potato soup. The soup isn't WB compliant, since it does have potatoes, but the amount is small (we used four small red potatoes instead of the two medium Yukon Gold potatoes that the recipe calls for). The recipe serves 6. I'm going to experiment to find a nonstarchy vegetable that will pair nicely with the kale and onions.

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
We're having leftovers. Last nite I made stuffed bell peppers & salad.
Cut off top of peppers (red, green, yellow, orange) & clean inside. Finely dice edible portions of tops. Dice onion. Cook hamburger (we are fortunate to have freezer full of grass fed beef). Brown beef, drain any fat. Sauté onions & peppers then add beef. Season with ground thyme. Let mixture cool. Fill bottom of peppers with feta cheese. About 1T.  Add beef mixture up to half then add another tablespoon feta. Fill with beef pressing down. Bake for approx 1 hour. Sprinkle feta on top. Serve!!
There are so many variations to this recipe. Italian, Mexican
Made spinach salad on side.

Cook @ 350
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:15:13 AM by Weeksie »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Cut off top of peppers (red, green, yellow, orange) & clean inside. Finely dice edible portions of tops. Dice onion. Cook hamburger (we are fortunate to have freezer full of grass fed beef). Brown beef, drain any fat. Sauté onions & peppers then add beef. Season with ground thyme. Let mixture cool. Fill bottom of peppers with feta cheese. About 1T.  Add beef mixture up to half then add another tablespoon feta. Fill with beef pressing down. Bake for approx 1 hour. Sprinkle feta on top. Serve!!There are so many variations to this recipe. Italian, MexicanMade spinach salad on side.

That sounds good.  I have all those ingredients in house.... 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Joan......I'm really, really, really trying to like kale! I sautéed it and it was too chewy.....I tried to eat it raw, still too chewy.....does it get less chewy in soups? It's such a cute veggie, loaded with good stuff and I love opening my fridge and seeing it sitting in there......but the only thing I've managed to make so far is kale chips!

Joan from MN

• View Profile
Jan, I can't eat it raw or steamed or sauteed either, and I've tried. When I make the kale soup, I simmer it for 20-30 minutes and then puree it with an immersion blender. 

Neicee

• View Profile
Last night: Poached salmon which I added to a cream cheese sauce with garlic and button mushrooms.  First had the dish years ago in Vegas made with bow-tie pasta.  I blanched some cauliflower to stand in for the pasta.....the sauce is so good you want to eat it with a spoon.  Also, ElenasPantry.com kale salad with olive oil and citrus.  Hubby is getting into the kale thingy but still claims he doesn't care for it steamed or sautéed, simply raw.  Tonight will be meatballs, made traditionally with onion/garlic with a marinara sauce over spaghetti squash, asparagus and a green salad with about 6 or more cut up raw veggies.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Last night we picked up Chipolte for dinner.   I had the burrito bowl ( so no tortilla ), and just chose not to have the rice with it.  Put all the other good stuff in there, like the green pepper/onion fajita mix, beans, chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole, lettuce, sour cream and cheese.

Funny thing is that I used to choose  'brown rice' and never chose to add sour cream or cheese.

Now I do no rice, and add the sour cream and cheese.

Neicee

• View Profile
Rita, my husband and I had lunch out on Tuesday at a new Mexican restaurant in town that touts they cook old style/mama made food.  They do.  Beans with lard (which I traded for extra salad on the plate and a chili relleno that was to die for - yet made differently than I've ever had.  They basically poured out scrambled egg to cover a small skillet, placed the Anaheim chili filled with cheese, rolled it up like a tortilla, then a clear sauce that was onions and sliced tomatoes followed by more cheese.  No thickeners in the sauce and no flour in the batter...yay!  It was good and I'm so stealing that recipe.  A good helping of guacamole with olives and I was a happy girl.  All I did was ask if they had anything that didn't include corn or flour?  They complied cheerily.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
It was good and I'm so stealing that recipe.

Yum... and then you'll share it here right??   :D

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Rita...

Re: Funny thing is that I used to choose  'brown rice' and never chose to add sour cream or cheese. Now I do no rice, and add the sour cream and cheese.

We used to order " bread, no butter"
Now we joke "butter, no bread"
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:45:36 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Fish, seafood, and more fish and more seafood.....you get the idea! Leaving the ocean for the summer so am stuffing myself before we go!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Jan, we're near the coast for a few days, and couldn't wait for the seafood. Just arrived today and were starving. We found a little NOLA style sports bar and had blackened shrimp salads. The shrimp was WONderful and it had no wheat in the seasoning. I had a balsamic vinaigrette on my salad (it had no wheat) and it was delish. The rest of the week we're gonna be looking for raw oysters and char grilled oysters with gobs of cheese and butter. Can't wait! Hope we have it every night!

Joan from MN

• View Profile
Salmon fillets, leftover kale potato soup, greens with homemade buttermilk dressing made with Penzey's buttermilk seasoning.

kmd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 05:52:42 AM »
Last night I made Pizza with Dr Davis' #1 Pizza Crust in his cookbook (the one with almond flour, flax meal, a little garbanzo flour and lots of ground up mozzarella in the crust).  He said it would be firm and easy to hold in your hand.  I was doubtful because I had tried several other similar non-wheat crust recipes and they all crumbled at least some (but were tasty).  This one is amazing!!!  You can slice it up and pick it up and eat it.   I added chopped raw spinach, chopped onions, fresh chopped basil over sauce and mozzarella.   It was a little thick - kind of like foccacia.   I think next time I will add a little more garlic and onion powder to the crust dough for more flavor.  Also I recommend spreading the dough quite thin.  His recipe made one thick crust pan of pizza about 10x16.  I am going to try a larger pan next time and making the crust thinner.  This one is a keeper, though.  - A

I tried this crust on Friday night and would agree with you - while it's not really like wheat pizza crust, it was definitely good.  I will also add more seasoning to the pizza crust next time as well as spread it thinner.  It was definitely VERY filling.  I had 2 pieces (12" crust) and was stuffed.

I also tried the "healthified" quiche from mariablogspot.com on Thursday and it was delicious.  I sliced the leftover quiche into individual slices and have frozen for later.  I did warm up one piece in the microwave for breakfast yesterday and it warmed up nicely.  Also very filling. 

Today I plan to try out the mashed cauliflower - hope hubby goes for it!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile

This is not like regular pizza crust, but it's delicious:

http://empoweredsustenance.com/butternut-squash-pizza-crust-gaps-paleo/

eve

• Wheat Belly since September 2012
    • View Profile
We're having leftovers. Last nite I made stuffed bell peppers & salad.
Cut off top of peppers (red, green, yellow, orange) & clean inside. Finely dice edible portions of tops. Dice onion. Cook hamburger (we are fortunate to have freezer full of grass fed beef). Brown beef, drain any fat. Sauté onions & peppers then add beef. Season with ground thyme. Let mixture cool. Fill bottom of peppers with feta cheese. About 1T.  Add beef mixture up to half then add another tablespoon feta. Fill with beef pressing down. Bake for approx 1 hour. Sprinkle feta on top. Serve!!
There are so many variations to this recipe. Italian, Mexican
Made spinach salad on side.

What temp do you cook this at?

Joan from MN

• View Profile
We just had cream cheese crockpot chicken, and it was easy and AWESOME. I used a whole bag of frozen chicken breasts from Trader Joe's. Left out the black beans and rice because we're keeping carbs low, and it was still wonderful. Served it with a mixed green salad with grape tomatoes, black olives, and homemade buttermilk dressing.

http://www.weightandwellness.com/resources/recipes/meat-and-poultry/cream-cheese-crockpot-chicken/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:10:39 PM by Joan from MN »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Salmon filet and side dish of spaghetti squash with olive oil, basil, onion, garlic, feta, and tomato

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Last night oysters on the half shell, collard greens and a salad. Lunch today brisket, steamed asparagus with butter, sliced tomato and a half avocado. Tonight homemade soup out of the freezer and sharp cheddar.

Weeksie

• View Profile
Went to basketball game last nite & everything was fried!!!  I ate smoked almonds & smoked cashews. Delicious but not the best meal. Woke up tired (late tip-off) & hungry.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
Took my mom to a doc appointment and then dinner. Ordered the bleu cheese burger, no bun, and sauteed peppers and onions on the side. Yum!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Last night oysters on the half shell, turnip greens and salad. Lunch today brisket, raw broccoli and radishes, 2 slices of cheese. Tonight rotisserie chicken from Walmart with a big salad...spinach, arugula, tomatoes, olives, avocado, balsamic vinegar...whatever else is in the frig.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
I just want to say that I love reading what everyone is eating.  It opens up so many more possibilities

Weeksie

• View Profile
I experimented today. Pancakes for grand kids. They had no idea wheat free. Crackers for pre-Derby snack with hummus & salsa for DH. Crackers need work.  Then focaccia & Philly cheese steaks for dinner. So excited to have bread!!!!  My very fave. DH not fully committed so he has sandwiches for lunch during work week. Tomorrow will try dessert.  And maybe pie crust & make beef Wellington. So many options!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Then focaccia & Philly cheese steaks for dinner.

Good idea!  Did you do the focaccia recipe from the WBCB  ( wheat belly cookbook )?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Ordered from a "gluten free" menu yesterday at lunch. We hadn't had a "real" cheeseburger in more than 1-1/2 years, so made a conscious decision to eat carbs. Our burgers came, bun and all. We each took a couple of bites then took the bun off...just didn't need it. We haven't really tried to replace bread or desserts, so we don't miss them, and don't really need them. The best thing on our plates were the mixed sautéed veggies :)) Then we had crab legs for dinner last night with stuffed mushrooms.

arlin

• View Profile
Last night I tried the cauliflower mushroom stuffing from the WBCB. I think it's supposed to be a side dish, but since there was meat in it I just served it as the main dish. It was quite good.

After dinner we allowed ourselves the "once a week treat" of a small, plain Andy's custard.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
We haven't had dinner yet, but here's what's on the menu:

Grilled pork tenderloin, stuffed with spinach, chopped kalamata olives, anchovy/tomato paste, baby bella mushrooms, garlic, lemon zest, and thyme. Served with spinach-strawberry salad with walnuts and lemon vinaigrette dressing.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Yum... can I come over?

Weeksie

• View Profile
Then focaccia & Philly cheese steaks for dinner.

Good idea!  Did you do the focaccia recipe from the WBCB  ( wheat belly cookbook )?

Yes I did.  And tonite I toasted it. Base for grilled chicken breast & onions topped w Monterey pepper jack cheese. Awesome.

Bing

• View Profile
Stir fried broccoli, mushrooms and mackerel filet. Desert was a thick green smoothie... spinach, avocado, banana, chia seed, flax seed, CO.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Just got home from a trip last evening. Had delicious chili from the freezer with cheddar cheese on top. Lunch was leftover roasted chicken and raw veggies on the road.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Tonight it's MOREL mushrooms (yes, they're popping up in the Midwest.....got back just in time!) steaks and steamed broccoli.....

Loanne

• View Profile
For dinner last night I had two chicken thighs (with skin) that had been dipped in almond flour and seasonings (cayenne pepper, lemon pepper), and a few celery pieces.  Very good!  I love chicken dredged in almond flour.  I sautee it real low cause it burns easily and I don't want it very dark.  The flavor is wonderful.  Trying not to eat carbs after 3 pm to speed weight loss a bit.  And easing up on cheese.  Only a few times a week now.  I'm looking at this more and more as a way of life, not a food plan or diet.  I hate that word 'diet!'

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Lunch yesterday: DH had tuna w/ cottage cheese and a spoonful of peanut butter. I was out doing errands, so when I got home (about 2:30), I had my favorite snack, spoonful of peanut butter, 7 olives and a cheese stick. I almost never get hungry during the day. Most days I could easily do a late-ish breakfast and an early dinner.
Dinner: grilled sirloin and zucchini cooked in the oven, split, sprayed w/ olive oil, salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese. 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, then under the broiler to brown Parmesan.

Sula

• View Profile
Hi all, I made the Alfredo sauce ( from the wheat belly blog ) with big fat prawns in it last night for supper. OMG good.
Thanks for all the posts on here, it gives me lots of ideas. I make Maria's buns a lot too ( I posted a link on WBB ) it's an easy recipe and can be made sweet or savory. I should post it here. ...I'll go find it.

Sula

• View Profile
Here's the link to the bun/sandwich recipe. She also makes this basic recipe into cinnamon rolls and pizza crust, just search her blog. Awsome recipes here. She is one of my heros
http://mariahealth.blogspot.ca/2012/07/toasted-sub-sandwich-and-panini.html

Wheat Free Forum

Sponsored Links