This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Wheat Free Market Foods  (Read 17046 times)

Encino

• View Profile
Wheat Free Market Foods
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »
For those of you who, over the next few months, will purchase and eat products sold by Wheat Free Market Foods, it would be nice if we could share our opinion of these products. I'll enter my opinion in a week or two.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Wheat Free Market Foods
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »
I received my order from Wheat Free Market on Monday.....I ordered the sugar substitute (which we haven't tried yet) along with the three types of cookies, which we tried yesterday (the shortbread ones). I found them to be a little on the sweet side but to be fair, we rarely eat cookies, cake type items anyway.....just wanted to try them! I didn't order the granola mix since we don't eat cereal.

I look forward to an expanded list of items offered......especially ready made crackers, bread, as well as a few easy to prepare mixes. Although we seem to be eating less and less of those as we go along.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 06:10:54 PM »
We ordered at least one of all the edibles. Our shipment actually arrived a few days ago, but it was to our PO Box, which we don't check daily, and absent tracking information, we didn't know it was there. We picked it up today.

Logistics

2013-06-27 update: I probably did receive both an order confirmation and a tracking info email, but either deleted them or they go eaten by the spam trap. WFMF had a default configuration problem that was sending out these messages with a subject line of "Person's Name sent you a package”, which likely caused me to push it to Spam without even opening it. WFMF reports that their intent is send both order confirmation and shipment details emails.

Unboxing

The shipment was sent Priority Mail via large flat rate carton. Because WFMF uses USPS, this does mean that they can ship to PO Boxes, so your carton won't be sitting on the front steps in the hot sun, rain, or go missing. Theoretically, this should also allow easy shipment to APO/DPO/FPO addresses, but you'll need to ask WFMF about that.

Thanks to the USPS's infamous postal shredding centers, the carton was crumpled on all four corners, but there was no damage to contents. The bottles were individually bubble-wrapped. The resealable bags didn't need much padding, and shared crumpled newsprint paper protection with the cookies (which are packaged in non-rigid cellophane, and frankly lucked-out). WFMF will need to monitor cookie shipments and possibly consider more rigid containers for them.

Individual Packaging
All the products have completely satisfactory NF panels.

To answer a question I raised on WBB, the granola does list servings per package (10, 1/3 cup@), but has no serving suggestions (not a significant concern).

Only the bottled products had use-by dates (that I could find). WFMF needs to address this for the cookies and the granola, which clearly cannot have Twinkie-grade perpetual shelf lives  ;) .

Taste Testing

We immediately tried the shortbread cookies. They are excellent. I concur that they are a tad on sweet side, but I wonder if I would have noticed that absent the earlier report here. The other family member who tried one made no remarks about the sweetness. Where to set sweetness is a tough call on snack mimic products at this moment in history. It might be an error to adjust the recipe based on one or two reviews.

2013-06-27 update: I tried the granola this morning, and we have another winner. It is a tad sweeter than it needs to be (I used to go to great trouble to mix up my own no-sugar-added cereals). Again there's that challenge of trying to hit the market sweet spot, so to speak. I haven't figured out what my portion size is yet (the suggested 1/3 cup may not be enough, or it may be, if I switch from almond milk to heavy cream). We've already re-ordered mass quantities.

2013-06-28 update: We tried the chocolate chip cookies last night. Taste and texture were excellent, but again to the sweet side. This time, the family cook even remarked about the sweet. Looking at the ingredients, I see 4 different sweeteners: sugar (in the 60% chips), erythritol, molasses and monk fruit extract. That strikes me as 1 or 2 too many, and I really don't like seeing actual sucrose in a WB-friendly product. Two of these cookies is  between 40% and 73% of a meal's net carb limit (depending on how you count sugar alcohols as net carbs). The chips could easily be instead 85% cacao, or chocolate with an alternative sweetener.

2013-06-30 update: Tried the almond spice cookies now. Perfect.

Anyone who likes cookies needs to try all three flavors.

If the family cook hadn't become an expert at fabulous low-carb treats with just enough sweet, we'd be ordering the cookies regularly. We may keep a stock on hand regardless, once we have a handle on shelf life.

Even where our refined (2 years off wheat & sugar) palettes find the WFMF products as slightly sweet, I see the current WFMF products filling a current crucial market need: transitioning off conventional junk. I suspect that kids and many adults will love the granola and cookies just the way they are.

{we have not tried the sweetener yet}
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:51:21 AM by Boundless »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:43:04 AM »
We shared one of the chocolate chip cookies yesterday and again, as with the shortbread variety, found them to be on the sweet side, at least for our tastes.  Last night, I added a tinch of the sugar substitute to my balsamic/mustard glaze for a pork tenderloin and found it be more than satisfactory.  I'm looking forward to WFMF's expanded list of offerings.....

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
Finally got around to one of the sauces, the Wing Sauce.

It is, to my palette, perfect.

My spouse, however, is averse to hot stuff ...

... so it's mine, all mine  8)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
I got some of the wing sauce last week. Will make wings this weekend...

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »
Made the chicken wings and sauced them with the Wheat Free Market cayenne wing sauce. They were excellent.

For dipping, I mixed Greek yogurt with crumbled blue cheese; basically the good Doctor's recipe without the mayo. (Haven't started making my own mayo yet, and I didn't want to use store bought.) Simple and tasty.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »
We're invited to a party tonight and my contribution, (given the above recommendations) is going to be chicken wings with the Wheat Free wing sauce.....with celery and WB ranch dressing.  8)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »
The Wheat Free Market's hot sauce is HOT! I ended up dividing the wings into 'hot' and 'not'......basting the second batch with melted butter, garlic and just a dash of the sauce and then returning to the oven. The coolest thing about this party was that everyone that brought something printed out the ingredient list and posted next to their dish.....so it was very easy to maneuver through the buffet line. We met several new WB, GB, paleo friends in the group so the word is spreading faster than I thought down here!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 12:03:33 PM »
Jan,

I've been noticing that too.  This WOE is really spreading quickly.  It was wonderful to wander around and select all these different things to eat, knowing that I would be just fine tomorrow!   :)   Last year I was the oddball at Holiday parties.  Not this year!  Like you, I have made several new friends to compare "notes" with. 

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
Has anyone tried the Ready made pizza crust? http://shop.wheatfreemarket.com/Wheat-Belly-Pizza-Crust-Mix-BM-PIZZA.htm

If so, what are your thoughts? Or do you think it's simpler to make your own from the Originsl WB Cookbook? I was thinking it might be easier to take something like this with you if you weren't cooking at home. The All-Purpose Bakng mix from the ne WB 30-Minute book looks easy, too.

Thanks!

Bailey

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »
I'm actually trying it tonight! I'm hoping I can use my new immersion blender to mix it.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 01:55:15 PM »
I'm actually trying it tonight! I'm hoping I can use my new immersion blender to mix it.

Randal, I'm excited for you and hope you have great success with it. If you think of it, please come back and review at your convenience. Happy pizzaing  :)

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 07:36:02 AM »
Last week I made the Pepperoni rollup  published on Dr. Davis blog & in new cookbook. Used marinara dipping sauce. Pretty good but we both decided the bread would be a better pizza dough. It was easier to make than the original pizza dough recipe.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
I made the pizza tonight. I should have read the instructions on the bag; if I had, I would have bought parchment paper and a rolling pin. I had to spread the dough by hand. I used aluminum foil instead, and the pizza stuck to it so I ate the pizza with a fork.

I loaded mine with mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms, and hamburger. It was great and oh so filling.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 08:49:42 PM »
Parchment paper is the best! Would you believe I had never ever used it for baking until we started cooking WF! I'll never be without it anymore.

P.S. I also had to buy a rolling pin, LOL.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »
I made the pizza tonight. I should have read the instructions on the bag; if I had, I would have bought parchment paper and a rolling pin. I had to spread the dough by hand. I used aluminum foil instead, and the pizza stuck to it so I ate the pizza with a fork.

I loaded mine with mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms, and hamburger. It was great and oh so filling.

Randal, Thank you for the update! Glad to hear it.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
Randal,

HaHa about the rolling pin!  You did great! Until you get to purchase one, you can use a tall glass, bottle, can or even the heel of your hand.  Placing plastic wrap (or even a plastic bag that fresh veggies were placed into) over the dough will protect the dough while you shape it and prevent it from sticking to your hand or utensil.  When finished, just peel the plastic off and throw it away. 

Parchment paper is sold everywhere now, no longer only in kitchen specialty stores.  Check your supermarket.  It is usually near the foil and plastic wraps.  If you can't find it, you can purchase waxed paper to cover the dough when rolling out the crust, but do not bake with.  Good to know that the mix is tasty. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:57:36 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »

Barbara,

I wish I had covered the dough with plastic before trying to smooth it by hand. I'll buy a rolling pin tomorrow so I can bake another pizza for New Year's. I'm glad you told me not to bake with the wax paper; I would have tried to do that.

I'm planning my next order. I'm going to order probably 5 of the doughs and the wing sauce. I would have never guessed you could make good wings just by baking them in the oven. I always assumed they had to breaded and fried.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 08:21:58 AM »
I made a purchase some-time ago when she was offering a "special".  I got the mim's and flax-seed wrap mix along with the sweetner.  I had some of the mim's but then read the carb's # on the pkg. so haven't in awhile now.  The sweetner was pricey but I've used a bit of it each time I've made fat-bombs.  I don't bake so that's not an issue at our house.  I may order the pizza crust from her...but will try the flax-seed recipe 1st to see if it's a "keeper" for me.  Truly, I'm more of a "savory" person than a "sweet" person so this WB plan has worked well for me.  I'm storing the packages of mim's and flax-seed in sealed containers so they should last a good while.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 08:37:32 AM »
We keep the flax mix on hand if we have friends stop by and need an easy, quick appetizer......adding caraway seeds or rosemary works well!

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »
Second attempt at pizza tonight. This time, I had parchment paper, covered the dough with plastic before rolling, and used an actual rolling pin. It made a huge difference, and it was delicious! It was awesome having pizza to eat while watching football again!

Placing my second order with Wheat Free Market, ordering five each of the pizza dough and wing sauce.

The funny thing is, Saturdays are my cheat day, and my cheating consists of about 20 grams of carbs from the dough. (I also got carbs from avocado and broccoli - nothing to worry about - and some carbs from the homemade blue cheese dressing I'll make for my wings later. I'll get fewer carbs on my cheat day than on regular days from before I went wheat free.)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »
Jan, how do you make the flax mix into appetizers? I added rosemary plus an Italian spice mix and put shredded cheese in the fold after cooking and still found them to be tasteless. Help!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
Deanna,
On the back of the package, there is a recipe for the crackers, using a plate......if memory serves.....I think you cook them (maybe) two minutes longer. I have gone through all my stash or would look! Our favorite is to add caraway seeds for a 'rye' effect.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
We tend to eat the flax crackers with dips.....a favorite is 'liptauer' which is a mixture of butter, cream cheese, onions, capers, garlic and lots of paprika.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
Thanks Jan, guess I should have read the pkg...didn't know you could do crackers. I have another pack coming so I'll check it out. I had already ordered it before I used my last one.

PattiWheatFree

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »
I had some of the mim's but then read the carb's # on the pkg. so haven't in awhile now. 

LibbyMe - you can subtract the erythritol from the carb counts, just like you do fiber.  The mims are from 5-10 grams net.  If xylitol, some people just knock-off about half, because some still can get a bit of a rise with xylitol.  But erythritol you should be able to subtract 100%.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
I'm a bit stalled with my weight loss so need to go back to my start with more "simple" eating/cooking. I find I don't "need" the sweets (ie desserts etc) anyway.  I have thyroid issues but I'm thinking I've not been eating enough veggies as I did in the beginning!  So time shall tell......

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
Jan, what a difference 2 minutes plus caraway seeds make. We did the "rye" crackers and had a snack with cheese. I loved it...crunchy and tasty. I sprinkled a little salt on top too before cooking.

If you have any other secret little easy tips, let us know!!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
WFMF has (no surprise, other than in how long it took) added the new All Purpose Baking Mix.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »
What's the deal on Wheat Free Market? I'm trying to order and when I click on a product name or "Shop now", it takes me to a web page with a pic of closet doors w/ a single shirt hanging inside. It says
"Future Home of Something Quite Cool" and
If you're the site owner, log in to launch this site.If you are a visitor, please check back soon.

This is the link: [size=78%]http://shop.wheatfreemarket.com/Classic-Granola-11oz-Bag-GRCG01.htm[/size]

[/size]I've ordered from them several times before w/ no problem. Anybody know anything?[size=78%]

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
Deanna......try this:  https://www.wheatfreemarket.com

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
Thanks Jan, but I get the same thing when I click on "Shop Now". Can you click on the link I posted and then Shop Now?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »
They must be having trouble with their web site.  I couldn't shop either.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2014, 09:10:29 AM »
Thanks Barbara. I'll try again later.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
It's working again.....

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
Yes, I just checked. Thanks!

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 03:49:11 PM »
I wanted to share that I finally tried the WFMF Pizza mix today with what I thought was a decent success. I forgot that I have a Pizza stone, so next go around, I will bring that out to hopefully make it crispier. Overall, the taste and texture was good and I was thrilled that you can actually hold a slice in your hand and it was stable. I also thought it was better than the Bob's Red Mill blend, which is the 1st pizza I have ever made back in January. Here's the outcome:

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 06:29:31 PM »
Scrupulous,

Looks good!  Applegate Farms makes a sliced pepperoni by the way.  Think I'll dig out my pizza stone too.   :)

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
Scrupulous,

Looks good!  Applegate Farms makes a sliced pepperoni by the way.  Think I'll dig out my pizza stone too.   :)

Barbara, Thank you for the Applegate Farms pepperoni info. I have had their Bacon before, but not seen their other products at Publix. I am quite interested in seeing how the left-overs will hold up and reheat. I was also pleased that a little pizza went a long way, and I could stop at (2) pieces and be satisfied! Go WB!!

-Bailey

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 02:09:21 AM »
Hi Scrupulous,

You might check out the Applegate Farms web site.  Besides a products locator for you area, they have numerous recipes that might interest you.
My local supermarkets are eager to special order items.  I've even frozen the packets without any adverse effects.  Whole Foods carries the largest selection of products. 

I made the pizza rolls.  I tweaked it a bit and added more cheese on top.  My intention was to have some saved for freezing,  Hah!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
I was looking at the Costco web site last night and you can buy bulk orders of grass fed beef from them. While prices are not cheap, grass fed beef is not cheap.

There is a Costco business center that I pass by every day, but not a regular household store. Gourmet Girl posted yesterday that Costco also has almond flour on sale--$39.99 for 6 lbs of Honeyville (unless on sale, 5 lbs is that much at the Honeyville website).

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »
I was looking at the Costco web site last night and you can buy bulk orders of grass fed beef from them

Good to know.  Looks like you have to order in larger quantities.  One of these days I'm going to have to visit a local butcher to see how their prices compare to Whole Foods.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »

Sponsored Links