This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Salad Dressings  (Read 8483 times)

Encino

• View Profile
Salad Dressings
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
What about ranch dressing and bleu cheese dressing purchased in the market or ordered at a restaurant?  Are they allowed in a wheat-belly eating regimen?

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
Re: Salad Dressings
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
My personal reason for avoiding all unknown dressings is that they are almost always based on Canola or Soybean oil.  A common theme among all diets / lifestyles of this nature are the removal of all veggie / seed oils. 

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
My personal reason for avoiding all unknown dressings is that they are almost always based on Canola or Soybean oil.  A common theme among all diets / lifestyles of this nature are the removal of all veggie / seed oils.

Exactly.
I began making all of my salad dressings last year and have not looked back. I buy the best extra virgin olive oil that I can afford and look for dressing recipes on line. They taste SO much better, I can make a small or large amount based upon my needs for the week, and I know it is fresh and healthy.
I also quit buying commercial mayo after making a batch one day and realizing how really easy it is to do! Again, I want my mayo made with real EVOO, and now it is.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »
I was in a grocery store the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of brands of mayo that advertised Olive Oil on the front! 

Pleasantly surprised, that is, until I read the ingredients and discovered that all they've done is ADD olive oil to the existing mix.  They're still based on Canola!  Talk about a con job. 

Major thumbs down to Kraft and Hellmann's

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:57:16 PM »
I was in a grocery store the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of brands of mayo that advertised Olive Oil on the front! 

Pleasantly surprised, that is, until I read the ingredients and discovered that all they've done is ADD olive oil to the existing mix.  They're still based on Canola!  Talk about a con job. 

Major thumbs down to Kraft and Hellmann's

I went down that same road, last year, heard or read that Hellmans was now using EVOO and I was thoroughly disgusted when I checked the label at the store. Big Food must think that we consumers are totally stupid! Do they not realize how many of us actually read labels?

Home made mayo is SO much better. I think, to the best of my memory, I've only had one bad batch, it just wouldn't emulsify for me, perhaps my lemon juice was too old, bought fresh lemon juice and no problems since.

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 03:37:47 PM »
As someone who is pretty new to this myself, I say take the diet as a step-by-step process.  Remove the known culprits, first and foremost.  If that doesn't work, eliminate more.  If you remove everything you are comfortable with right off the bat, for one you aren't likel to keep going for very long, and for another you won't have any room for improvement if and when you plateau.  That said, ranch dressing is the root of all evil.  Also, "natural flavorings" usually means "hi welcome to hidden gluten hell", and I would call them a "known culprit."  I'm a balsamic vinaigrette kind of gal, myself.  I found one from Paul Newman that is pre-made and relatively inoffensive, although it does have added sugar, which is ultimately a no-no.  But I don't use it often, and it's pretty much the only thing left in my house with added sugar in it.  So if you really need your ranch dressing, just read labels carefully.  Make sure you recognize all of the ingredients as something non-processed and avoid anything that has vague descriptors such as "natural flavoring."   

Linda R

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 04:05:30 PM »
Tom Naughton just posted an awesome idea for homemade mayo using bacon grease. It sounds really delicious. I don't eat bacon often enough to have a good supply of bacon grease on hand, too bad they don't carry that at my local coop!

http://www.fathead-movie.com/

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Commercial Salad Dressings
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
Unless we can find something suitable in the market (doubtful), we're probably just going to make our own from now on, from olive oil, vinegar and seasonings. Just threw some together last night (recipe not recorded). Perfect.

The commercial products, whether store shelf (where you can read the labels) or restaurant (where you often can't), are almost universally polluted with one or more of the following:
The "low fat" dressings are even worse, not just because they are low fat, but because make up for it with even more sugar, which more often than not is HFCS.

I sense yet another product opportunity for WFMF here, like they don't have enough already.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:42:43 PM by Boundless »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 04:09:03 AM »
I give up! I will just dump some chicken fat over my salad! Or just VOO...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 07:02:14 AM »
I've ditched the prepared salad dressings as well....now I whip up enough for a single salad as needed.  My favorite is walnut oil, 'Alessi' white balsamic vinegar, fines herbs and a 'tinch' of stevia....and if doing a spinach salad, I substitute bacon drippings for the walnut oil and drop the herbs. I don't know the proportions, but I just make enough for out two salads.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »
I pour evoo and balsamic with a little sea salt over salad and mix. That allows DH to pour some junk dressing over his. He recently got his "wheat rash" back and I told him to check the ingredients. It had soy so I guess it's a "soy rash". Wish Whole Foods was more into the wheat free lifestyle.

Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
LindaR,

What oil do you use for home made mayo?

Linda R

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »
LindaR,

What oil do you use for home made mayo?

When I first began making my own mayo, I used extra virgin olive oil, but wasn't thrilled with the taste. Then I switched to a lighter olive oil, most brands call it "classic", and that works for me.

So now I keep both in my kitchen...............

"Extra virgin" for my Dill Weed Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing [love it on romaine and mixed veggie salads]
"Classic" for mayo

:) :)

Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »
Thanks, Linda R.
 :)

Linda R

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
A helpful article re: Olive oil.

Plus, another not-so-great idea from Dr. Oz.
Does anyone really watch this dude?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/08/05/olive-oil.aspx

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
I watched Dr Davis on Oz. That was enough for me.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »
The guy wears scrubs on tv, like he's either coming from or going to surgery. He's not even licensed to practice in Illinois, which means it's a costume. That's enough for me to turn him off.

Suzhookem, I think I'm going to use your recipe for salad dressing. I have been using Paul Newman's vinegar and olive oil, but it too has crap that I don't want. I'm also giving up Hormel "Natural Choice" Chicken Strips that I used to put on my salads. Even though they are a great protein source, it's got sugar, rice starch, and "natural flavors," whatever that means.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »
Randal, I've experimented and putting on the EVOO first works best. Cheers to you.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
I have a problem with the raw egg in the mayo recipe.  I don't even like my eggs runny for breakfast.  Am I a wimp or what? 

Linda R

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »
The guy wears scrubs on tv, like he's either coming from or going to surgery. He's not even licensed to practice in Illinois, which means it's a costume. That's enough for me to turn him off.

Seriously?

What a dork!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »
I bought some avocado oil at Costco, and I have to say that I like that on my salad with balsamic vinegar better then olive oil and balsamic.   Avocado oil has a surprisingly mild flavor.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »

Sponsored Links