This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Fish  (Read 4159 times)

Bing

• View Profile
Fish
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:38:38 AM »
I couldn't find a thread about fish?

Do you eat fish?
How much / often?
Which fish or seafood?

I'm into mackerel and salmon lately, like twice a week it's fish instead of meat, either lunch or diner.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Fish
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:23:43 AM »
Bing.....We tend to eat fish more in the winter months (2 or 3 times per weeek) since we live close to the ocean during that time.....we stay with the fish that are harvested at an earlier age (yellowtail snapper, lion fish, grunt, local lobsters and shrimp,  mahi (dolphin fish, not the mammal!), so there is less an issue of contamination. We ship some frozen up here for the summer months, enough to have at least once per week.....otherwise it's pastured meats, which we then ship south for the winter......sheesh, seems like we're always mailing something!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
I eat fish about 2 times per week, and we've done that for ages.  Usually do wild caught salmon and talipia.    I also often do shrimp and scallops.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:50:04 PM »
Two or three times a week here. Usually salmon, cod, or shrimp. In fact, I just had a delicious wild caught salmon salad with mixed greens, roasted asparagus, and balsamic dressing for lunch today.

HungryinTN

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »
I'm not sure if it's a good thing, but I eat fish pretty much every day, as it is my only significant source of animal protein.  I supplement with whey, and I haven't cut out cheese yet, but for now I am fairly dependent on seafood.  I stick to wild salmon, tuna, tilapia, and occasionally shrimp.  I've been a pretty big fish eater my whole life and have never really noticed any detrimental side effects from mercury poisoning.  I also drink a detox tea with lemon to help clear heavy metals out. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:02:28 PM by Rita »

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 01:36:30 AM »
Bing.....We tend to eat fish more in the winter months (2 or 3 times per weeek) since we live close to the ocean during that time.....we stay with the fish that are harvested at an earlier age (yellowtail snapper, lion fish, grunt, local lobsters and shrimp,  mahi (dolphin fish, not the mammal!), so there is less an issue of contamination. We ship some frozen up here for the summer months, enough to have at least once per week.....otherwise it's pastured meats, which we then ship south for the winter......sheesh, seems like we're always mailing something!

Wow! sounds like luxuries I don't have unfortunately :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:44:24 AM »
Actually Bing, we're lucky in that we have access to fresh fish off the boat down south and we have a pastured/organic farm just down the road for beef, pork, lamb and chicken.....prices are less than half of what one would pay in the stores.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
I eat salmon from the supermarket for breakfast (quick and easy) before the gym, and when I get back I have a tuna fish and egg salad for my second breakfast. Since I lift weights, I eat like a Hobbit, about 8 times a day. I probably eat in excess of 3000 calories a day easily, but since giving up wheat I've lost 3+ inches off my waist even taking in that much food.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 06:31:39 AM »
I love fish, salmon especially, but the cost keeps me from purchasing it. Since fish runs about $13.00 a pound around here, and grass fed beef is $7.50, and the local natural chicken is even less than the beef, well, just an occasional treat, or a can of the nice tuna when it goes on sale.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 04:05:17 AM »
Make that $19.00 a pound for the wild salmon... :'( Ended up with a can a fancy Tonino Tuna Fillets in Olive Oil, which I hope are okay. The label warns that they may contain traces of soy, egg, and wheat...I better check this company out!

Linda R

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 06:50:37 AM »
I just tried this brand of canned tuna, found it at my local Super Target. It was a very good tuna. I have the salmon also in my pantry but haven't opened it yet.

http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/store/products

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »
Lyra,
I found some canned sardines (Cole's) which were reasonably priced and might be something you could add to your diet....they are packed in  olive oil and sea salt.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »
Jan, I am almost ready to try canned sardines...not used to them at all! I will check it out.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 03:06:24 AM »
I bookmarked that page. Looks good. Guess I don't really like most fish, but I can eat a can of tuna. Thanks!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 03:06:24 AM »

Sponsored Links