This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Continued Gastric Issues  (Read 13912 times)

Mistyblue

• View Profile
Continued Gastric Issues
« on: June 30, 2013, 05:59:47 AM »
Still struggling with gastric issues...still wheat
free. It has been 2 weeks since I started
taking Pantoloc. I have to be extra cautious
about what I eat. I did start taking apple
cider vinegar and believe it or not, more effective
than Pantoloc! Any suggestions would be most
helpful!! Anyone else experience gastritis
after several months of wheat free?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Continued Gastric Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
It would be interesting to hear what a typical day is of diet, as various things could be the cause.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »
Also, what vitamins and supplements are you taking? Keep in mind that your GI tract needs to repair itself in the first few weeks after going wheat free.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/01/nutritional-supplements-in-the-wake-of-wheat-elimination/

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
My typical day:
Breakfast- 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, mashed
with CO or butter and a cup of blueberries
occassionally, Udis Gluten free bread.
Decaf coffee/almond milk with 1 tsp honey.
Mid morning - Almonds or cheese
Lunch- left over chicken or beef with veggies
Chia pudding made with almond or cocoanut
milk.
Herbal tea 2-3 times each day.
Dinner- chicken/salmon or pork chops with
Veggies. sometimes WB cheesecake, WB
Biscuits with fruit.

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »
Supplements: Acidophilus 10 billion caps
2-3 daily ( last 5 days), Vit D 2000iu each day.
Pantoloc - only medication...dropped Crestor
Because of muscle pains.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
Gluten-free bread like Udi's is specifically not recommended on WB, since it is high in starches and bad carbs.

You might want to double the acidophilus and vitamin D, and add in some magnesium and omega 3.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
And not that I'm an expert or anything, but it would help in solving the puzzle... when you say 'gastric' issues, what exactly are the gastric symptoms?

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 04:54:06 AM »
Pain mid chest(not cardiac!), bloating, gas
...typical ulcer symptoms. I had been wheat free
for about 3 1/2 months prior to the symptoms&
would have anticipated they would have occurred
earlier.

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 04:55:54 AM »
Thanks, Randal..after reading the link in your
post above, I plan to do just that!

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
Have you tried digestive enzymes with every meal, especially any that contain protein or fat? 

Some people do best with a product that contains a mixture of enzymes such as lipase (digests fats) and lactase (disgests lactose), perhaps with other digestive nutrients such as bromelain and papain.  Other people prefer Betaine HCl (hydrochloride, an acid) which will help those with insufficient stomach acid.  The apple cider vinegar is also a good idea.

You might need something like digestive enzymes for a while - if they work for you, it is also possible you'll find that you need less with time.

From the Weston A Price website, another possibility: Bitters: Herbal extracts of bitter, mineral-rich herbs are a traditional tonic for stimulating the bile and increasing digestion and assimilation of fats. They often are the best remedy for calming a queasy stomach. One such product is made by Floradix. Another is Swedish Bitters originally formulated by Paracelsus and later "rediscovered" by a Swedish scientist. Bitters supply nutrients from bitter leaves that are often lacking in the Western diet. Many cultures, including the Chinese and Hindu, value bitter herbs for their cleansing, strengthening and healing properties.

Most health food stores should carry bitters as well as many different brands and varieties of digestive enzymes and betaine HCl.

And here is possibly one of the stranger ideas, if alcohol is OK for you, but I find it works very well for me (when digestive enzymes don't do enough).  There is a Czech liqueur called Becherovka that is essentially an alcoholic drink steeped in a mix of herbs (some of which are bitter).  The taste is OK, improved with chilling it first.  My husband came across this a few years ago during a business trip to Prague - said that in every restaurant they went to for dinner, waiters came around with little shot glasses of Becherovka after the meal; everyone partook.  This is something you sip, in very small quantities, especially after a heavy or rich meal and it works very well.  For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka.  A bigger problem is finding a store that carries it but a good liquor store should be willing to order it if they don't have it in stock.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 07:33:36 AM »
HS4.....are these the same 'bitters' that you can buy at the liquor store from Trinidad? My deceased husband used to use them in his 'old fashions'........

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 08:59:08 AM »
Mistyblue, have you ever been checked for hiatal hernia, because you just described mine.  If your digestive enzyemes help, I'd be interested to try them myself.  This hernia is weird to work with and not much my gastro has suggested has helped, so far.  Please keep us posted.  Good luck to you.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 09:21:42 AM »
Jan - I am not sure if the bitters I wrote about are the same as the one from Trinidad.  There is a specific type called 'Swedish Bitters'; a bit more info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_bitters.  However, there are apparently many different formulations; Amazon sells what looks like a dozen different types of Swedish bitters. 

I do know that many traditional cultures have variations on this theme - some sort of postprandial herbal tonic that aids digestion.   Some are alcoholic, some not.  I remember there is also a German variant but I don't recall what it is - comes in very small dark glass bottles so each one is probably a single serving. 

Some remedies are based on single herbs - such as fennel tea which I use frequently if I think a I need a little digestive help.  Ginger is another good digestive 'herb' - as a tea, in soup, as a true ginger ale soda, crystallized, fresh grated added to foods or drink, and so on.  There are others - usually mixtures of either fennel or ginger, or both, with other herbs such as mint, bromelain, licorice, etc...

Eating lacto-fermented foods also aid digestion - sauerkraut (raw if possible), kimchi (but very spicy), properly prepared pickles, homemade ginger ale, etc...   The Weston A Price foundation has a great deal of information on lacto-fermented foods and how to prepare them (www.wapf.org).

However, all of these ideas are dealing with the symptoms and Lynda has a good point - any physical problem needs to be diagnosed and dealt with first.  The herbal and food remedies can help in the interim, or in the long term if there is no physical issue causing the gastric problems.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »
Lynda,
Interesting you should mention your hiatal hernia.....a friend of mine has one and goes to a local chiropractor a few times a year for some kind of physical adjustment (not sure what kind) but she swears by it! Maybe you could check around.....

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »
Thanks for the idea, Jan,
You're the first 'live person' I know of (not just an article) that has mentioned actually knowing someone who has been through that procedure.  Since your friend has had good results, I'm going to check it out sometime after the holiday. It's nice to have a real evaluation and not just page filler from a writer.  Thanks again.

erac6329

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
I watched a video on youtube posted by a doctor who stated that if you have a gluten/wheat sensivity, you should also get rid of the following from the diet.

-all grains (gluten free bread, WB biscuits)
-diary (Milk, cheese)
-yeast

Try it for a week and see what happens.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 11:26:04 AM »
Lynda....check this out.  Apparently lots of chiropractors do this procedure....and one can even do it on yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IvrmmWObB8
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:41:40 PM by Rita »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
Thanks, Jan,
Great video. No wonder it feels better when I push there!!!  It also feels better if I bend backwards and mostly when I don't bend forward at all....
I have a problem with my rib cage twisting to the left and I've often wondered if it crowds my stomach making the situation worse. Trying to get help from a gastro is like curing a wheat problem ::)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »
Very interesting video Jan...makes me wonder about my 30+ year old stomach pain.

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for the support. I plan to see
a Naturopath and will keep you posted.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 05:54:01 PM »
Lynda (and Deanne).....try doing the 'bridge pose'....while pressing below the sternum....might have the same affect.  Did I tell you I was a yoga teacher?

Bellamouse

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
  I remember there is also a German variant but I don't recall what it is - comes in very small dark glass bottles so each one is probably a single serving. 

It's called Underberg.  My DH likes them from time to time.  I have never tried them (even though I probably have worse gastric issues than he does), as I am too chicken  :o    Too medicinal for me.  I have good results with organic, whole milk Kefir lately so I haven't been desperate enough to try the Underberg.    We are German and DH's aunt gave him one when we were in Germany once and he wasn't feeling well and it helped so we bought them when we got home.    They are pretty easy for us to find locally, but we are in a big city.  I am sure you can buy them online.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 04:18:50 AM »
Did I tell you I was a yoga teacher?

How cool!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
>Lynda (and Deanne).....try doing the 'bridge pose'....while pressing below the sternum....might have the same affect.  Did I tell you I was a yoga teacher?<
Clever idea, Jan.  While I find that position to be far more comforable than bending forward, I never considered trying to push my stomach down through my diaphram at the same time.  Good idea!  I read at night propped on my elbows and strangely that helps stop the pain and that is similar to the bridge pose, only laying on the stomach.  I'm going to try out your idea.  It just might work better that way.  Thanks again.  I bet you are a great teacher.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
I tried the bridge pose Jan. it seemed to relieve the pressure...but only briefly. I googled hiatal hernia and the location in this picture is exactly where my pain is...just up under the rib cage left of center. http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/hiatal-hernia

I've been checked for many things for this pain...colonoscopy, scope down the throat, gall bladder tests, scan of my stomach...but no one has ever mentioned a hiatal hernia. I'm due an annual checkup soon, so I'll be asking to be checked for that. It feels like this sounds. I always related it to someone pushing their fist into that exact spot, but it's not consistent, it does move around just a little, but that might be the resulting gas. But mine could just as easily be described as someone squeezing VERY tight in that spot. My sleep position also affects it. I can seldom lie on my back. Sometimes I can get relief kind of on my side for my shoulders, but more on my stomach for the lower body...like it sometimes takes the pressure off. Stress affects it too. Dry a vitamin A has seemed to help thru the years, but just recently I discovered (reading labels) that my dry vitamin A has some calcium and magnesium stearate in it, so I'm not sure what was helping. Mine has been worse since we adopted the WB lifestyle.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »
I really needed to preface that advice with some contraindications to doing inversions....neck trauma, recent stroke, epilepsy, and high blood pressure (untreated).....sorry!  At any rate, I do recommend inversions ((heart above the head) as it increases blood flow to your head, lowers  heart rate and  blood pressure too....it can jump start your lymphatic system.......it can also stimulate your thyroid and parathyroid glands which can aid-in  regulating   metabolism....plus it just simply feels good to flip your organs over sometimes and get your blood flowing in the opposite direction! You don't need to stand on your head.....just put your legs up the wall for 3-5 minutes to get the same benefits. (with a  pillow under your back and hips. Although standing on one's head is fun too!

Deanna.....hope you find out whether you do have a hiatal hernia....a competent chiropractor may be able to help you.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »
Thank you, Bellamouse.  You're right - it was Underberg.  Becherovka tastes much better IMHO.  But both are strong and medicinal but they work

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 05:36:47 AM »
I added a pancreatic enzyme with the
Acidophilis and even after taking the last
dose of Pantoloc, I am feeling a
lot better!! I also added Omega 3 and
Iodine. I have my Naturopath appt in two
weeks so will see if I'm on the right track.
Thanks for your awesome support...still
wheatfree!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »

I added a pancreatic enzyme with the[/size]Acidophilis and even after taking the lastdose of Pantoloc, I am feeling a lot better!! I also added Omega 3 and Iodine. I have my Naturopath appt in two weeks so will see if I'm on the right track.Thanks for your awesome support...stillwheatfree!

YEAH!  Great to hear!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 07:24:18 AM »
While reading more on the topic of probiotics, fermented foods, leaky gut syndrome.....I came across this article which is a good explanation of the sydrome.....

http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/03/the-scd-diet-and-leaky-gut-syndrome/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:40:36 AM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
@Jan -   They make a good point in that article about eating raw vegetables, as raw vegetables are full of digestive enzymes.  And when we cook veggies, we lose the enzymes.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »
I know Rita....but then Campbell-McBride of GAPS indicates that raw veggies are the 'cleaners' (even while they do have moderate enzymatic properties) while cooked veggies provide more nutritive components....along with the good stuff in meats and fats, which she insists is where our bodies get truly 'fed'.  It probably all boils down to an appropriate combination......that I haven't figured out yet!!!!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
I think the choice of cooking depends on what nutrients you are after.  Here's a pretty good article:  http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier .  We can probably assume that if it's the enzymes we're after in a particular meal, we should do raw.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:20:13 AM by Rita »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »

Sponsored Links