This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Microwave muffins in a minute  (Read 6414 times)

fudgecake

• View Profile
Microwave muffins in a minute
« on: July 01, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »
I like these. Play with the variations. The basic recipe is to take a cup or mug or small bowl, add one whole egg, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp melted coconut oil or butter, 1/4 cup chia seeds, flaxseeds, or almond flour in whatever proportions you wish (can be 1/4 cup of only flax seeds, for example, or 1/8 cup chia plus 1/8 cup almond flour. Experiment with proportions.)

Now start adding your flavors, choosing whatever suits your taste in the moment: cinnamon, unsweetened cocoa powder, frozen berries, vanilla flavoring. Add your favorite sweetener. I usually use two packages of Spenda if I'm adding unsweetened cocoa powder. Or try something more savory with grated cheese, bits of bacon or sausage, and spices.

Throw in the microwave for anywhere from about 45 seconds to 90 seconds, depending on the power of your microwave. The product will puff up and form a beautiful cake-like muffin. Maybe spread softened cream cheese on it.

For further ideas google "microwave muffins".

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Microwave muffins in a minute
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »
Fudgecake.....this sounds good, I especially like quick, one serving recipes.....thanks for posting.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
I played around with this recipe this morning.....awesome! I made one with cinnamon/sweetener/vanilla......one using onion powder/garlic (more savory)....and one adding caraway seeds for a more 'rye' flavor.  They were all fabulous and the savory one, with scallion cream cheese on top 'kinda' reminded me of an everything bagel! Thanks for posting this....this is definitely a keeper.....quick, easy and tastes good cold too!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
This sounds good.   I need to try this.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
A 'head's up' on Fudgecake's microwave muffins...they are freezer worthy! Last week, rather than make just one muffin, I increased the recipe and made extra which we defrosted this morning and the texture was fine. I like the chia/almond flour combo with garlic, onion powder and caraway seeds....topped with just a bit of scallion/cr. cheese. They are extremely filling!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »
My 13 year old son loved this.  He likes cooking.  I told him to start with the egg, baking powder, butter and almond flour as the main mix.    He then added 1/4 banana in small chunks, walnuts, 2 stevia packages.   He likes being creative, so it's great of me to have him with a healthy starting recipe, where he can experiment.   ( He's an expert creative smoothie maker ).     

I also made one, and did the almond flour, and then went the more savory route with parmesan cheese, oregano, sea salt, and garlic powder.  It was definitely something you could use as a dipping bread for olive oil.

Both were very tasty and filling.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:21:14 PM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »
Interesting article on microwave and nutrients: 

According to most studies, however, the reality is quite the opposite. Every cooking method can destroy vitamin and other nutrients in food. The factors that determine the extent are how long the food is cooked, how much liquid is used and the cooking temperature.

Since microwave ovens often use less heat than conventional methods and involve shorter cooking times, they generally have the least destructive effects. The most heat-sensitive nutrients are water-soluble vitamins, like folic acid and vitamins B and C, which are common in vegetables.

In studies at Cornell University scientists looked at the effects of cooking on water-soluble vitamins in vegetables and found that spinach retained nearly all its folate when cooked in a microwave, but lost about 77 percent when cooked on a stove. They also found that bacon cooked by microwave has significantly lower levels of cancer causing nitrosamines than conventionally cooked bacon.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:06:32 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
Since these don't normally contain vegetables....then I'll vote for Cornell and nuke them!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »

Since these don't normally contain vegetables....then I'll vote for Cornell and nuke them!
That's what I'm thinking too!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
I'm getting brain strain!  So, which is it?  Are microwaves the evil of the century or vitamin preservers?  I'm beginning to think 'they' don't even know and I sure don't.  So, everyone, should I use my micro?  Help!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
P.S. : that looks like a great recipe, Fudgecake.  Gotta try it.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
I'm getting brain strain!  So, which is it?  Are microwaves the evil of the century or vitamin preservers?

I had heard a lot about microwave's impact on food, but it looks minimal when compared to other heating methods:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7047080

A large amount of data is available on the effects of microwaves on vitamins. It is concluded that there are only slight differences between microwave and conventional cooking on vitamin retention in foods. In conclusion, no significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by conventional and microwave methods. Any differences reported in the literature are minimal.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:09 AM »
Thanks, Rita.  Since you are studing nutrition, this make me feel better about all those veggies I've nuked.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
Just made a pumpkin one for lunch.   Used coconut flour, pumpkin puree, an extra egg (since they were small ), stevia and spices.  Tasty!

Riceloft

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
My wife found a recipe on Pinterest thats similar to this.

2 TBS almond flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp unsweetened coco powder
2 tsp almond milk
2-5 drops Stevia Glycerite
4-6 dark chocolate chips
1 - 1.5 tsp peanut butter

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »
2 TBS almond flour1/4 tsp baking powder1 tsp unsweetened coco powder2 tsp almond milk2-5 drops Stevia Glycerite4-6 dark chocolate chips1 - 1.5 tsp peanut butter

Reeses style!

okwheatless

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
Wow.  Just tried them.  Excellent!  So quick.  So easy.  So tasty.  I did the 1/4 cup about 2/3 almond flour and 1/3 ground chia seeds.  I was surprised that I did not have the problem swallowing them that I usually have with almond flour-based baked items.  Can't wait to try the endless variations.  Thanks for the recipe!

julsr444

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
Inspired by Jan, I made a savory one this morning. Used 1 T. almond flour and 3 T. ground golden flax in base. Then added a little parmesan, garlic powder, basil and oregano. Sprinkled top with Trader Joe's Dukkah seasoning before cooking. Sliced in two halves and put in toaster when cooled. Topped with garden vegetable cream cheese. This was just like an everything bagel. Made one the other day with half almond flour and half ground flax, cinnamon and walnuts. That one was great, too. The possibilities are endless.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »

Sponsored Links