This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Weight Loss  (Read 12520 times)

erac6329

• View Profile
Weight Loss
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
When I cut out wheat/gluten from my diet, I only dropped 5lbs in 1 1/2 months.  I did lose some inches though I'm not sure of the exact number since I didn't measure myself but my clothes do fit loser.  Even though I was eating mostly meats, vegetables and fruit, I was at a stall.  I joined myfitnesspal and logged everything I was eating.  I was at about 2,000 calories per day.  Once I cut my calories down to 1,500, I began to lose weight again.  So, don't think just because you cut out wheat/gluten, you're going to magically lose weight.  You still may need to watch your calorie intake.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
Were you doing a lot of fruit?  Fruit has a lot of sugar.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »
Well everyone's experiences are different, so I think you have to keep that in mind whenever you make any lifestyle changes.  YMMV...you know?  I didn't need to lose any weight really (was around 138...5' 6").  I dropped wheat for other reasons (microscopic colitis) and ended up dropping ten pounds in two months and maintaining ever since.

What I've found is that there is a cumulative effect that can lead to weight loss.  You drop the wheat, your carb cravings diminish and eventually disappear.  You naturally eat less because the cravings are gone.  Your stomach shrinks because you're eating less so now it takes less to fill you up than it did before. Less stomach volume = fewer calories consumed. I'm way over-simplifying it, but you get the gist.

I was a CRAZY calorie counter for years...I'm talking homemade spreadsheets and animated charts people...and lost about 45 lbs overall from my highest weight (and maintained that for about 5 years) before I started down this road.  I'd say the calorie counting and daily weighing were the hardest for me to give up. I was sure I would immediately blow up like the stay-puft marshmallow man. But now I just eat what I feel like eating (within my WB guidelines of course...about 95% of the time) and don't give a second thought to the calories.  I get on the scale maybe once a week if I get curious and just want to see the number.  I seem to have leveled out now and don't really do anything specific to "try" to maintain it.   

Mostly I listen to my body and adjust my habits or what I'm eating (day by day) based on how I feel and/or how my clothes fit.  I guess I said all that to say this.  There is no magic bullet of weight loss.  Yes some things seem to make a huge difference and lead to dramatic change, but for some people it doesn't.  However, I firmly believe that the WB lifestyle is about so much more than weight loss, I know it is for me.  Those who follow it solely for it's weight loss "side effect" and then give up on it when their results aren't as dramatic as some others are cheating themselves out of the long-term benefits of wheat free-dom. 
~Teresa

erac6329

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:24:19 AM »
I'm 5' 6".  My starting weight was 204.  I got down to 199 and stopped losing weight.  I wasn't exercising much.  I've had blood work previous to going Gluten free and I don't have any issues there.  Most of my fats were coming from meat.  I also use Coconut oil when I cook.

HungryinTN

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
Since you didn't measure, I'm guessing you probably didn't do a body fat analysis before starting either, which may be a better indicator for you of fat loss.  For a calorie-restrictive dieter who exercises all of the time, they might lose 10 pounds in the same amount of time, but about 1/3 of it might be from muscle.  Without calorie restriction, and with a high nutrient-density diet, you would expect slower
"weight" loss, but comparable fat loss.  I'm pretty new to this game myself, though, so it's just a semi-educated guess.  Just try not to let it discourage you.  Maybe add some light exercise (don't overdo it at the start or your body might process the activity as stress, resulting in a cortisol response), get some detailed thyroid testing done, add some supplements like MCT oil, and double check that your carb intake is around or below the 50 net/day level.  But no, there is no magic to it.  For me, grain elimination just makes it sooooo much easier, not just to lose weight but to live from day to day.  No more knee pain means I am more active.  No more cravings mean sure I'm eating less but also I am freed from the chains of constant hunger.  No more GERD.  No more IBS.  No more itchy skin (except that the outdoor cat that lives at my house has fleas...I don't think wheatlessness can cure that...).  Better moods.  Better sleep.  More energy and focus (I quit my ADD meds, and I'm a PhD student!) And after years of gaining weight, I am happy for anything in the opposite direction, no matter how slow. 

erac6329

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
I'm not discouraged.  I just wanted others to know that you don't magically drop pounds just because you elimanate Gluten.  I was still eating rice and patotoes but I have cut back now.  As long as I keep my calorie intake under 1,500 calories, I lose weight.  My Fitness Pal is my best friend now.

I don't have an option of going back to eating Gluten because of all the bad symptons I experienced.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »
You are correct, this is not about eliminating gluten, it's about eliminating wheat. Read the book and you'll see there are a lot of other proteins in wheat as bad as or worse than gluten.

You are also correct that if you eliminate the gluten and wheat, but you intake a lot of carbs from other sources, your results won't be good. All carbs result in a blood sugar and insulin response spike, which results in retention and storage of visceral belly fat.

If you cut the carb calories drastically, you can up your intake of good meats and fats. I'd wager if you cut out the rice and potatoes, and increase your caloric intake to more like 2000-2500 per day, you'll start losing more weight. (At 1500/day, your body might be in starvation mode and reducing your metabolism. If you check out some of the work by Taubes, you can see how people living below the poverty line and consuming fewer calories than ideal can end up obese. It's not the number of calories, it's the source of those calories.)

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »
Really good post, Randal.

It's too easy to get caught up in the catchy little "Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight" thing and not realize there's so much more going on.  It isn't that simple.  Period.

Boundless has commented on this numerous times on the WB Blog - the recommendation is to keep net carbs below 50g/day (assuming you're trying to lose weight or live in ketoland).  That's very low and I can pretty much guarantee that if someone switches over to any sort of primal/paleo/ancestral diet they will be closer to 100g/day unless they start monitoring it.  There are many surprises in fruits and vegetables!

If you're trying to lose weight then, unfortunately, rice and potatoes are an illogical dietary choice.

I'm currently experimenting with myself in a new way.  I've increased total calories from ~2200/day to ~2800/day without any change in activity.  My net carbs are usually around 70g/day, as they have been since I decided to stop losing weight.  All the extra calories are in the form of protein and fat.  3 weeks of this and I haven't gained even one pound...

erac6329

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
After cutting out all of the other foods that I love so dearly, rice & potatoes were the only two things left to help me through.  I lose weight as long as I keep my calories under 1,500 while still being able to eat those items so I'll stick with this for now.  I've tried the Atkins & Paleo diets and I don't like being that restrictive.

erac6329

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »
I forgot to say that I lose weight if I eat at 1,500 calories.  If I eat between 1,500 - 1,700 calories, I maintain my weight.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »
Boundless has commented on this numerous times on the WB Blog - the recommendation is to keep net carbs below 50g/day (assuming you're trying to lose weight or live in ketoland).  That's very low and I can pretty much guarantee that if someone switches over to any sort of primal/paleo/ancestral diet they will be closer to 100g/day unless they start monitoring it.  There are many surprises in fruits and vegetables!

If you're trying to lose weight then, unfortunately, rice and potatoes are an illogical dietary choice.

What he said.  You can cut calories down as far as you want but if your carbs are too high, losing weight (and maintaining the loss) is going to be reallllly hard.  Randal mentioned Taubes...read Why We Get Fat.  It's an amazing eye opener and may compel you to try some new strategies.  Either way, it's an easy and interesting read.  Good luck and hang in there!
~Teresa

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
Erac has made an important point.  Some of us still need to keep an eye on our calories.  Being wheat free doesn't give everyone an instant pass to overeating. Some of us can, some can't.  My candy bar is wheat free but I couldn't get away with eating ten a day.... just kidding on the candy but you know what I mean.  I personally have to keep fruit to a minimum.  Everyone has their own cross to bear.

LondonGuy333

• Mid-thirties WF SWM, SW London...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »
I would concur; I'm 3/4 weeks in to 100% wheat-free (no starchy gluten substitutes) and haven't dropped quite as much weight as I expected - just 4 or 5lb so far - not that I really need to, fortunately, so it's no real concern. I've not been able to exercise as much due to an injury, which hasn't helped.

The benefits are still profound (mood, energy, clearer thinking, and most notably, less hunger).  I'm a pescarian and probably rely on too many jacket potatoes and rice dishes; but I've noticed I just don't have the appetite for carbs now I've cut out wheat. I'd like to drop a few more pounds so I'll cut out all other carbs for a while to see how this works.

I'm no nutritionist but, as you probably know, it's important to keep well hydrated, especially so in the 'detoxification' period -  this also helps satiety - and exercise regularly. And ensure there is no wheat creeping in to foods you might not expect, e.g. Tomato soup (even the healthy brands).

Interesting that in one blog post/ comment reply as to why weight loss doesn't happen as quickly as we'd like - Dr Davies suggested caffeine could help promote weight loss; doesn't caffeine promote insulin? I'm a dilettante here so please educate me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:15:44 PM by LondonGuy333 »
Separating the wheat from the chaff...

HungryinTN

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 08:29:16 AM »

Interesting that in one blog post/ comment reply as to why weight loss doesn't happen as quickly as we'd like - Dr Davies suggested caffeine could help promote weight loss; doesn't caffeine promote insulin? I'm a dilettante here so please educate me.

Somehow your question seems to have slipped through the cracks for a couple of weeks, so I hope you're still reading!  From all of the things I've read from different "gurus," (Dave Asprey, Mark Sisson, and Peter Attia being my main reads), coffee can be beneficial IF it's good coffee, and that's really hard to control.  As with most things, the good stuff comes at a higher price point, of course.  But basically there are a lot of things that can go wrong in the process of getting the bean from the field to your cup and create toxins that can have negative consequences for your body.  It isn't the coffee itself that causes an insulin spike.  If you feel jittery or have a major caffeine crash an hour or so after your coffee, or if you feel addicted to coffee, then you're probably ingesting a lot of mold and other toxic substances with it.  I can definitely tell a major difference since I switched to an organic, high-altitude brand.  For further reading:  [size=78%]http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee-5-reasons-you-can-perform-better-10-ways-to-live-longer/[/size]; [/size][size=78%]http://www.bulletproofexec.com/why-bad-coffee-makes-you-weak/[/size]

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
I come to this blog at least once daily and read about everyone's conquests. They make me hopeful that some day I will enjoy success. I quit wheat over a year ago cuz my medical person said I had gluten resistant per my hair test. I'm insulin resistant (metabolic syndrome) and thanks to Jan my blood pressure is doing great, with meds and cayenne pepper, but I also have a sick thyroid, adrenal fatigue and candida. I keep my carbs between 30 and 45 daily but don't count calories. I use 2 tbl of coconut oil in my coffee and take an additional 4 tbl spoons of flax oil daily. I exercise at 2 mph for 10 minutes on my treadmill usually five days a week. I lost 30 lbs last year and just recently 4 more. Yea! I read about people here giving permission to themselves to "cheat". I'm watching my Longhorns right now with a can of peanuts over on the counter and I make myself get up to get 3. I've had 9 so far. Lol. As far as carbs are concerned my Dr that I love says I can use red skin potatoes as they work differently in the body. That is the only carb I eat besides veggies, and I don't do much. No fruit at all 😂 which I miss every single day. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. Go Texas \~/

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 06:45:30 AM »
Suz....glad to hear the cayenne is working!!!! My sister, who is also WB and seems to share some of your thyroid/adrenal/candida issues, began increasing her intake of probiotics about a month ago (I think she also got a higher quality one too)....to make a long story short, she thinks it's helped her tremendously. She's also doing a few rounds of jumping jacks a day to kick start her lymphatic system....a trick I learned in yoga school!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
Talk to me about cayenne. 

My blood pressure and synthroid meds are two I would be afraid to give up, although I've been tempted to throw the synthroid away.  But not until I go to the endo.

My PCP prescribed metformin (off label) for insulin resistance but I quit taking that because it made me feel awful!  I've since quit my Zocor.

My BP is controlled very well with the medication and I'm hoping one day to lose enough weight to be able to quit those meds.  At the rate I'm going, though, it will be the next millennium before that happens.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
Lila,
Under 'food elements' on this blog, there is a 'cayenne pepper' thread with some links to sites where the therapeutic benefits of cayenne pepper are discussed. I've been taking it again (a tsp. in warm water) for general health benefits, although it is known to help specific issues such as high blood pressure etc. as well. If you decide to give it a try.....start slow (1/8th tsp.) and build from there. Read Suz's post....am not sure how long she's been using it but apparently it has had a positive effect on her BP.....and it's heart friendly too!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
Lila, it's also gut friendly. Sounds impossible but it is. CayennePepper.info is the best site in my opinion. Jan, if your sister doesn't find relief with her probiotics there's a great site GetHealthyAgain.com by Robert Harrison ~ sorry I don't know how to post sights on here, IT challenged ~ but its more comprehensive than any I've found. I'm trying his product CanElim now. Candida destroys the endocrine system which then challenges hormones, blood pressure and a ton of things. I think I've had candida for years and its something Drs just aren't familiar with. My doc has had me taking rectified turpentine, 1 drop for each 10 pounds on the first of the month and again on the tenth. Robert Harrison answers emails and is most helpful. I'd advise anyone that has thyroid problems to check out his site. IMHO.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
Thanks Suz, I will try to copy your post and forward your information to her.....she's been dealing with candida for years!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »
Jan, for your sister. I did tell Robert Harrison that I was a seasoned citizen and he cut the price of CanElim to half. But I need to take 2 bottles a month for 6 months and then 1 bottle to complete a year. I plan to start taking his probiotic at the end of 6 months. I was really sick when I started this. Even went to the hospital with anemia and someone else's blood. Yuk. On a scale I guess I've fought my way back to a 4/5 so still have a long way to go. At least when I go to a big box store I can get out to the car and don't have to lean on things looking for a bench! I really enjoy everyone's successes. It gives me hope.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »
Suz.....Robert Harrison's site is engaging! He not only brings in quantum physics, but Bell's Theorem and energy testing (am wondering if he uses the NAET technique).....and then can link you to the 'The Sedona Method' which I haven't thought of in years....Thanks!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »
Jan ~ Just looked at Sedona Method. It will require some time on my part. Glad you liked Roberts site. He's been quite helpful to me. I use one of Don Croft's Zapper and also the Budwig Protocal to feed the body electric. I really believe in this energy stuff. Hope it helps your sister!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 05:38:25 AM »
Suz.....you zap too?? I got one back in 96' from Hulda Clark when my first husband was re-diagnosed with cancer. I have since loaned it my sister for her candida but am not sure she is using it consistently. I, too, believe in this 'energy stuff' and often use muscle testing for feedback on my supplemental usage....it's been a helpful tool in my toolbox!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »
I've been reading so much about quantum physics in the last 2 weeks for school.   I had no idea that the discovery of quantum physics has been around for almost a century.   Now the idea of working with 'energy' makes so much more sense to me.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »
Jan ~ I use the small zapper that can be strapped to the body 24/7 with a tennis sweet band. Don Croft answers questions too and is most helpful. I have a zapper the you must sit still with and that's just not my style. Lol. I'm attacking this candida from all sides cuz it can be a precursors to cancer. I feel it is what's keeping me from getting well.

Rita and Jan ~ so impressed that you two understand the quantum physics thing. Not me!

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »
I agree with Erac to a degree...eating meat 3 times a day and large portions at that will not allow me to lose weight...too many calories.  I discovered that right away.  Regular portion sizes, 3-4 oz, meat only once a few times a week.  But then everyone is different and what works for some won't work for others.  Don't give up!!  This is about more than losing weight...this really is a lifestyle change for me.  And life is so much better now than 10 months ago.  Down 63 lbs...not as much as I could've lost had I starved more, I suspect, but I'm OK with it!  And have learned a TON about my body...learning every day to listen to its little messages.  Very subtle but unable to ignore them.  All is well.

HungryinTN

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
I agree with Erac to a degree...eating meat 3 times a day and large portions at that will not allow me to lose weight...too many calories. 

It could also be from glycogenesis, by which the body turns non-carbohydrate calories into glucose, thereby inhibiting fat burning.  Either way, cutting back on the large protein portions is probably a good idea (and probably easier on your kidneys, too). 

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »

Carbs < 30g per day
Protein ~ 1g per day per kg of body weight (for me, 75g)
Fat = enough to keep you non-hungry

It really is that simple.

Carbs+protein above = 420 calories
So, for a 2,000 calorie day, you'd need about 175g of fat.
Low Carb Since April 2009.

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
Low Carb Since April 2009.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »
Interesting:[/size]http://www.dietdoctor.com/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet

Yes... that is interesting.   And that's a lot of calories to eat when going LCHF.   He must have really had to push himself to eat that many calories, since fat fills you up so much.

Jamaica8

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
I've been GF/WF for about 6 weeks and have not seen any weight loss.  Tho I am eating other carbs like rice and potatoes, it's only a couple of times a week.  Any supplements we should be taking in addition to probiotics and D3?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »
You need to count carbs: 15 grams per meal, 50 for the day.  Watch your sugar intake too.  Drink plenty water to help your body cleanse itself.

Magnesium, B vitamins, minerals and many others on an individual basis are helpful.

You really need to READ READ READ and learn about this way of eating.  There is a lot more to it than just not eating that bread, cookie or pizza.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »
make sure that you increase fat consumption as well.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »
Found it interesting to revisit this thread. I've found hands down the thing that's most helpful to getting rid of candida is a Chitin eliminator, diatometous earth and fermented foods. I take cultivated veggies twice a day, 1/2 cup. Kombucha tea and kefir twice a day. Now to just do this long enough to let my body heal. This forum and y'all have been so helpful for me. Thanks!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »

Sponsored Links