This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1486 times)

HungryinTN

Help!
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »
I've done a little digging, but I thought I might cheat and go straight to the "source."  I am heading to my parents' house on Saturday to spend the week cooking (and cleaning) and trying to inspire them to go grain-free.  The really tough case is my dad, who gets very grumpy if he doesn't have at least three different things on his plate, and absolutely refuses to eat the same meal more than once, MAYBE twice, a week.  I honestly believe that if I get him into full WB mode he'll get over his pickyness, but for now it's what I'm dealing with.  I need a few meal ideas for a vegetarian household on an anti-inflammatory diet.  Mom has RA (or some kind of undiagnosed autoimmune disorder that we refer to as RA for the sake of simplicity) and Dad is type II diabetic.  Dr. Weil's writings have my mother convinced that she has to give up cheese and all fat but olive oil and eat 150 grams of carbs a day, and Dr. Hyman has my dad convinced that he has to eat "healthy grains."  While my dad will have the option of going out to eat for lunch, my mother at least will be completely at my mercy all day every day (which is fine because she is WAY less picky - my struggle with her is going to oatmeal).  The hard part is going to be dinner.  I'm thinking I'll pick up one of those spiral cutter things to make pasta out of zucchini, and maybe pesto with it?  Should definitely be able to make at least 2 fish dishes.  Recipe ideas?  Anyone?  Beuller?  Thanks! 

Randal

• View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »
My dad has type II diabetes and I got him to switch to wheat free 7 weeks ago and he has seen phenomenal results. I've been meaning to write a post about it. It was tough to get him to switch, but since the benefits happened practically overnight, he'll never go back. Maybe that will help your father adopt the lifestyle.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »
Cauliflower mashed potatoes or fritters makes a great 3rd item on a plate:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php?topic=71.0

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 07:50:04 AM »
Randal, I found your post about your parents and emailed him the link.  Rita:  I will definitely have to give that a try!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
Hungry.....I thought I read somewhere that Dr. Weil was supportive of the WB book....apparently I was wrong. Some menu suggestions:  eggplant parmesan (sans meat in the sauce)......sautéed cabbage in butter.....stuffed peppers with shirataki rice and veggies....roasted zucchini and leeks (great combo!).....tomato and spinach soup.....veggie soup.....puréed parsnips.....shirataki angel hair pasta w/sauce.....a variety of salad options....peas, onions, and mushrooms.....broccoli salad.....cabbage/broccoli slaw.....egg salad on lettuce....egg drop soup (if they'll eat the chicken broth)....shirataki rice/veggie stir fry..... 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »

Sponsored Links