This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: My dad and diabetes  (Read 3281 times)

Randal

• View Profile
My dad and diabetes
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »
I switched to wheat free on March 13th, and the results have been amazing. Within 6 days I was fitting into clothes I hadn't worn in 4 years. My waist is down over 3 inches, my stomach is no longer chronically upset (I had a 45 minute danger zone window after meals), I sleep great, and I'm no longer famished every 3 hours.

I was so happy with my progress that I started pressuring my parents with making the switch. My dad turns 72 next month, and he's had type II diabetes for over 20 years. The past couple years it has been out of control. He kept on having to increase his insulin. He switched doctors a few times; some did nothing to address nutrition, and the others had him on the ADA diet with lots of whole grains (which of course caused him to gain weight and make his diabetes worse). His health was getting progressively worse, and my parents had no idea how to make it better.

So I had a copy of Wheat Belly sent to them. They read it, but weren't buying into it. They cut down on wheat, and I had to explain to them that wasn't good enough. It had to be complete elimination. My mom resisted a lot; she believed everything she had been told about whole wheat and needing carbs in your diet. Finally I convinced them to try it for 2 weeks, and if they weren't over the moon with the results, go back to what they were eating.

I didn't think my mom was going to make it through day 3. She had really bad withdrawal symptoms. I had warned her that day 4 and 5 would be the pooping and peeing days, but it hit her on day 3. She was freaking out because she was going every 10 minutes. I told her it was temporary, and she was really close to giving up until she noticed that she could now wear shoes that had gotten too tight to wear because of weight gain.

That was 7 weeks ago... and they are still wheat free. Here were my dad's results after 5 weeks:
  • He had lost 15 pounds and got down to a 34 waist. He lost his man boobs.
  • He lost the night sweats from high sugar and night trembling from low sugar. He can now sleep through the night.
  • Most importantly, he has been able to cut his insulin in HALF. In only five weeks. After years of medication, the only thing that has made his diabetes better is wheat elimination. He thinks he could have reduced it more, but he's playing it safe. I think he could be off insulin entirely in months, definitely within a year.
It's criminal that doctors are not promoting wheat elimination (and carb reduction) as treatment for diabetes. For the first time in years... no, actually for the first time ever, his diabetes is not only under control but improving.

Oh yeah, my mom lost 10 pounds in those first five weeks. She had to stop teaching adult aerobics at the community gym a couple years because she had too much joint pain and her knees were swollen. The joint pain is gone and the swelling is a memory. A couple weeks ago she walked by a mirror and wondered why she was holding her stomach in, before realizing she wasn't; the stomach fat was just gone.

If you have parents, relatives, or friends with diabetes or any chronic ailments that they have adapted to, tell them to make the switch to wheat free. They'll thank you for it.

Linda R

Re: My dad and diabetes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:10:43 AM »
Wow, what a great story, so inspirational! And what a loving son you are to care so much for your parents' health & welfare.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »
Awesome success story!  Thanks for the share!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
Randal....your's is an awesome story!  Have you posted this on the WWB?  Dr. D has a few threads directly related to TD2.....and your story needs to be told.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »
Randal....your's is an awesome story!  Have you posted this on the WWB?  Dr. D has a few threads directly related to TD2.....and your story needs to be told.

I agree! I'm so inspired by stories like these. It is always nice to have what we're doing confirmed by yet another success story!

I have seen three friends, and now another relative (my new grandson-in-law) show and interest in WB. One friend is now totally wheat free, not sure about the other two, but I know they're at least reading the book! And my dgrandsil is wanting me to teach his new wife (my dgd) how to cook like I do!  8)

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Now that's a feel-good story.  It must be nice to have family members who are in need of help actually accept help! 

It's also interesting to see how often the "15 pounds" comes up.  It seems to be the initial ~4-5 week amount reported most often. 

I also noticed the "shoe phenomenon".  It kind of sucks because my preferred running shoes are a bit loose now. 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
Jan, I haven't posted this on Dr. Davis's site. I was reluctant to post it here because I'm generally a private person, but this information needs to be shared with everyone who is type II diabetic or pre-diabetic.

I can't explain how angry it makes me that in over 20 years of treatment, not one of his doctors suggested cutting carbs, let alone wheat. My parents are now convinced that my dad has had an undiagnosed allergy or sensitivity to wheat; I feel the same thing about myself.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
I think we can all relate to how angry you are that the medical profession doesn't address diet when it comes to diseases/disorders. Most aren't even willing to listen when the patient has an idea or two.

I was fortunate enough to have a Dr. that was aware of what diet can do. She wasn't aware of the wheat problem at that time, so that was never addressed, but she did suggest that I start using the South Beach diet and that alone cut my carbs in half if not more. She was more aware than any other physician I've ever seen. I hated it when she left to work somewhere else and I was on my own again. But at least I had her original advice to go by.

lucentio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
Great story. Mine is similar.  I was diagnosed fully diabetic back in September and had to take 26 units of insulin a day. In late October I went wheat free.  As my  testing numbers  continued to improve I cut back my insulin a couple of times then in April the diabetes clinic said stop using insulin altogether and double your metformin to 2 tablets a day.  I'm hoping next visit to be told I can quit metformin completely. I've dropped  35 lbs in weight all told from my peak and made a new low this week but it drops much more slowly now.  The medical world will step up to the poison of modern wheat probably within the next three years.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »

Sponsored Links