This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Protein powder  (Read 4208 times)

Annie

• View Profile
Protein powder
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
Maria Emmerich uses this ingredient into her protein bread. And I found this recipe in another site (sounds delicious to me):

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/01/brie-ham-and-green-apple-panini-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html

What do you think about low carb protein powder?

Linda R

Re: Protein powder
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 06:51:56 AM »
I keep protein powder on hand all the time. Now that warm weather is here, I have been using it every AM in my morning fruit smoothies.

I also use it in this amazing pancake recipe from my favorite low carb site;

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/better_than_boxed_pancakes.html

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
What kind of whey protein powder do you use?

Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
Maria Emmerich uses this one:

http://astore.amazon.com/marisnutran05-20/detail/B005BY3GWE

I just don't know if dr Davis agree with these powders...

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
What kind of whey protein powder do you use?

I use this one.

http://www.designerwhey.com/

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »
I did a short search on the WBB regarding Dr. D's opinion of whey protein-powder and (back in July of 2012) he says "he is not a big fan of whey but if one uses it, look for brands without added sugars"......he didn't give his reasons for disliking.....there could be additional info, just didn't find it.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
Why do you think we would need protein powder? It seems like this way of eating with so much meat, fowl, and eggs must have plenty of protein.  The entire diet is based on protein and fat. I have not counted up how many grams of protein I eat per day, but it seems likely that it is more than adequate. Ground beef at lunch, chicken for dinner, gelatin in my yogurt, usually a couple of eggs in the morning. It sounds pretty high protein already.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 01:57:42 PM »
i don't think I need protein powder either Lyra.....I get plenty as it is.....but I saw it in a pancake recipe and heard others using it. Wondering what one could substitute for it?

heathermcauley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 07:11:37 AM »
I use Tera's whey protein & Jay Robb whey protein powder, mixed with unsweetened almond milk, and almond butter(plain), no added sugar, vlc.  It is a perfect shake for early mornings when I don't have time for a warm breakfast.  Also a good post workout drink, anytime you just need something quick and full of protein.  When I started WB, it was an invaluable way to break some emotional ties with carbs, I didnt have to see biscuits and fried potatoes every day in the cafeteria, so my protein shakes really helped me.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
I don't think I NEED protein powder, and as a matter of fact I'm leery of it as a meal substitute or anything like that.  This is a highly processed product, not a real food.
That said, it is sometimes called for in low carb recipes to give bulk and texture.  As long as I'm not eating a lot of it at any one time, I'm OK with a little protein powder here or there.  In that case, I don't want to spend a fortune.  Lately I've been buying the 365 Brand Vanilla Whey Protein powder at Whole Foods.  It's not terribly expensive and doesn't have a huge list of ingredients.  There is no sugar, sucralose, or aspartame  Stevia (which I despise) is not mentioned on the ingredient label, but it IS noted on the nutrition chart(?).   However, it must be so little of an amount that it doesn't have to be listed in the ingredients, and the taste is not too objectionable, especially since I always have it as an ingredient in a more complex food. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »

Sponsored Links