This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: We can do better than this!  (Read 7574 times)

HungryinTN

We can do better than this!
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »
I know the forum is new, and a lot of us don't feel like "success stories" yet necessarily, but maybe we can rethink "success" and share all of the little victories we've had along the way - freedom from joint pain, freedom from hunger, that first surge of energy when you can feel that your body is changing for the better.  I think all of those things add up to a whole lot of motivation, especially for anyone who is just finding the site.  This portion of the forum just feels so underused when I know there are som great stories in the making out there!  What do ya say?

arlin

• View Profile
Re: We can do better than this!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »
I say you're right. I started a thread when I was one month into this WOE and was planning to do another one at three months, but honestly thought maybe no one would care about my month to month results. Guess I was mistaken. :) I was also thinking that perhaps my small changes weren't worth noting. Nothing big has happened, but a steady improvement is the name of my game right now.

I too wish others would pipe up here in this topic and let us know how they're doing. Although there are threads spread throughout the forum that do address successes. They're just not all confined to this topic space. And I agree with you that it is the little day to day or week to week changes that can motivate someone else to take a look at changing their diet too. Not just the big successes.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
You're right.   I think that is a trap that is so easy to fall into.  We see what we've done, but we focus on what we have yet to do, rather than celebrating the wins along the way.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
I recently returned from a trip to China, and I complained to my mother about how hard it was to eat wheat free there. It wasn't only from the soy sauce which seems to go into every native dish, but even the Western places had few wheat free offerings. Since my mother is a new convert to the wheat free lifestyle, she reminded me that it's the duty of every one of us to demand -- not request, but demand -- that restaurants, hotels, airlines, lounges, and bars start providing wheat free choices. (As a regular business traveler for over 20 years, I can tell you that isn't the case.)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
I agree with your mother, Randal.......if we don't speak up, things will never change! Grocery stores, delis, restaurants, hotels, bars, airlines.....and it's not just 'gluten-free'/wheat-free choices,  they need to be enlightened with regard to low carb options as well. It could be a new niche' for cooking schools....

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 08:14:28 AM »
My prior response to Randal was intended for a different thread....but want to add to Hungry's original post that we share our successes along the way to help motivate newcomers.

As a newcomer myself (Jan 2013), the bursitis is my shoulder is completely gone, along with lower back (sacrum) pain, while weight wasn't an issue for me, I've lost my 'jelly belly' and my stomach is now flat as a pancake! I sleep through the night, have more energy than I did in my twenties and am probably much more active, haven't had an inkling of illness, my sinus problems (and allergies) are now minimal, my food consumption is much lower; rarely hungry or have cravings of any kind. My bowls have healed and my mental focus is much sharper than before WB.  My husband has lost ten pounds (now 155), arthritis in his wrist (and back) has nearly vanished, his sleep is deeper and he feels his mental acuity has improved, along with his tennis game! He's 71 and still plays at a 4.5 rated doubles player. There are too many rewards to this lifestyle to list....and no downside!

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:15:11 AM »
When I feel like I have stalled and wonder if I should start using a bit of carbs here and there, since my weight is constant and low and my blood sugar readings are always normal, I just make two fists, and remember how painful that would have been three months ago. Or I recall the soaking bed sheets and pajamas I would wake up to several nights a week. There's something happening here...So I will stick with it, with all your support, since I have none in real life!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 09:20:26 AM »
I know what you mean Lyra! Sometimes, even for just a split second, something looks good and I just wish I could enjoy it without consequences. But I know that's not going to happen. So I dig in and stay the course. Last night we went to an awesome private picnic and fireworks show out in the country. There were over 100 people there and the array of FOOD!!...Omg it was fabulous. Or at least it looked fabulous. All those varieties of casseroles, pasta salads and desserts!! For a brief second I was angry that I couldn't partake without being dreadfully sorry. But it only lasted a minute. There was plenty that I could safely eat, so I filled up on what I knew wouldn't hurt me. And then the fireworks display was so amazing that I got over my foodie moment.

We all DO support you. It's not always easy, but it's worth it in the end.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 08:26:44 AM »
I agree that we must request cleaner food.  The explosion of gluten free products tells you that the market place will provide if the demand is there.  "If you build it they will come" mentality!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
I know what you mean Lyra! Sometimes, even for just a split second, something looks good and I just wish I could enjoy it without consequences.

I hosted a party last night.   A person brought a dessert and was so proud about the dessert and it's 'history'.  They were very excited for me to try it.  I admit it did look good, but I knew it was full of sugar and wheat.   I wanted to be polite, and thought to myself "I'm not celiac, so perhaps just a little won't hurt."

Well last night in bed I had very intensive headaches that kept waking me up.  I don't know if I've ever had that bad of a headache before.  Maybe it was worse because I've been wheat free.  Maybe it was also the sugar.  I still have a bad headache this morning, but nothing like what I went through last night.

It's just not worth it.   I need to come up with a better plan on politely saying no when someone comes in with something they are really proud of and excited to share.

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
I know what you mean Lyra! Sometimes, even for just a split second, something looks good and I just wish I could enjoy it without consequences.

I hosted a party last night.   A person brought a dessert and was so proud about the dessert and it's 'history'.  They were very excited for me to try it.  I admit it did look good, but I knew it was full of sugar and wheat.   I wanted to be polite, and thought to myself "I'm not celiac, so perhaps just a little won't hurt."

Well last night in bed I had very intensive headaches that kept waking me up.  I don't know if I've ever had that bad of a headache before.  Maybe it was worse because I've been wheat free.  Maybe it was also the sugar.  I still have a bad headache this morning, but nothing like what I went through last night.

It's just not worth it.   I need to come up with a better plan on politely saying no when someone comes in with something they are really proud of and excited to share.

Rita,

I am so sorry for your tough night!  I hope that the party was otherwise fun and enjoyable.  :)

I have already been prepping my mom for Thanksgiving and all of her wonderful desserts. I've been pouring through WB and Paleo Online Blogs and books to pick at least one or two easy desserts she could have on hand for me while everyone else enjoys the "real" stuff. Getting my mind set now, ahead of time is going to contribute to my success for the upcoming holidays.

I saw and saved what appeared to be a nice Chocolate mousse recipe Online and I would love to make and try Dr. Davis' Key Lime pie recipe. I am trying to get over the idea of it having to be "traditional."  This is going to become my new tradition and reality for me if I am going to be successful.

I hope you continue to recover quickly today and this coming week!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »
I am so sorry for your tough night!  I hope that the party was otherwise fun and enjoyable.   

It was a very fun night... just the aftermath was rough. 

You're smart to plan ahead for Thanksgiving dessert.   

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »
What a shame you had to suffer so much when you were just trying to be polite.  :( I wish we could just wish this all away, but that probably won't happen in our lifetime so we just have to do the best we can to get through "the moments" like you encountered last night. I sure hope you're feeling better soon Rita.

Scrupulous~I think you're smart to start planning now! I've taken over the dinner for our traditional Christmas Eve get together this year. I just didn't want to have to fight the kids on eating what they've typically brought year to year. They're all pretty on board with what I'm doing so I don't think they'll struggle at all with what I choose to fix. But it can be tough out there!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
Every time someone has insisted that I eat a non WB acceptable item, I explain to them that I get very sick and cannot have more than a tablespoon of the item for a taste.  When they are disappointed, I ask them if they would insist on giving peanuts to someone with a peanut allergy?  They always say: Of course not!  I counter with: Then please respect my inability to eat ......... .  It takes a great deal of courage, but at least I am not repeatedly getting sick because someone insists I eat something I don't want to eat. 

If people don't want to believe that I react badly to grains and sugar, well, that is their problem.  I believe that I am fortunate enough to be able to choose what goes into my mouth.  If my choice is something that makes me sick, it is my fault since now I know better.  This WB way of eating has given me back my health and enjoyment of life.  I am not going to give it up because of their selfish insistence that I eat something that I say makes me sick. 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
Barbara, it's funny - not in a ha-ha way, but incredibly odd - how offended other people get by your personal food choices.

A few years ago, I was very much in love with this girl. We were talking marriage and kids. I truly thought I was going to be with her the rest of my life. What happened? Her best friend. Her best friend was a vegetarian (who ate fish and eggs though; go figure). I lift weights, so I have to eat meat, and lots of it. But the best friend insisted that no one eats meet in front of her. My girlfriend switched to vegetarian whenever she was in her presence. I refused to do that, and her best friend hated me for that. She wouldn't even come into our place if there was meat in the house.

My girlfriend professed a strong belief in "body autonomy" - people have the right to control what goes in their body, be it food, alcohol, or drugs. Except for this one situation. It was so hypocritical; eat what you want, except around my best friend. (And her best friend was around all the time.) This issue eventually lead to her leaving me. It was ridiculous and painful.

What makes this really ironic is that now we know vegetarian diets are so bad for you.

HungryinTN

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
I was put in a tough situation yesterday, too.  It was a twelve-year-old's birthday party; relatives in from the West Coast who only come around once a year or so.  I grew up around her mother so I wanted to go, but the party was at a burger joint with only one feasible option for me on the menu.  Fortunately I had planned ahead and knew what to get.  Unfortunately for the people behind me in line, my order threw the cashier for a total loop and it took about five minutes for her to understand my order (a salad without chicken...) and figure it out how to ring it into the machine.  Everyone chowed down on their burgers and fries and onion rings.  After the meal, they brought in the cake (oreo cheesecake) and ice cream (Mayfield vanilla - my childhood favorite), which I politely declined.  I eyed the cheesecake of the people sitting around me with envy - for about two minutes, before the grumbling started.  "Oh my stomach" "I ate too much" "I know I should stop but it tastes so good!" Later, when we all got back to the house, I felt even better about what I had done as my family (one of whom has had gastric bypass, another of whom is less than two weeks from delivering her second child) took turns in the bathroom while I relaxed comfortably in an easy chair.  While they all recuperated, (exhausted captive audience) I explained what I have been doing and everything I have gained from it.  Who knows if they were really listening, but if they were, it could save someone's life. 

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »

Scrupulous~I think you're smart to start planning now! I've taken over the dinner for our traditional Christmas Eve get together this year. I just didn't want to have to fight the kids on eating what they've typically brought year to year. They're all pretty on board with what I'm doing so I don't think they'll struggle at all with what I choose to fix. But it can be tough out there!!

Arlin,

I am thrilled for you that you have support in your family! It's very important to have an in real life support group and that you can lean on and trust those people is awesome! My parents and Aunt and Uncle are on board with what I'm doing, but others balk at my ability to remain disciplined because my appetite is so under control now Ha ha! I can't wait to go through a Thanksgiving afternoon without the sluggish fog!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »
Wow....my typical Christmas Eve dinner is prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, garlic mashed potatoes, a couple of different veggies, a green salad.....good wines, appetizers and some kind of dessert. I can ditch the Yorkshire pudding, keep the potatoes for the carb people.....make a WB friendly dessert....and it will remain a WB friendly holiday dinner!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
For those willing to plan a little bit ahead, your holiday dinner can be wonderful and a WB delight!  Because the food is wholesome, well prepared and tasty, no one will get indigestion, foggy brained, need a nap or a walk.  Maybe someone will figure out a way to make a WB stuffing, but otherwise wheat products are not really needed.  Desserts are pretty easy too.  Key Lime Pie with a nut crust and chocolate layer and filling is scrumptious.  Lots of other recipes available to try out before the holiday.
I would make a separate pan of wheat or corn based stuffing for those family members who are still pig headed.  Everything else is easily adaptable to WB eating. 

And Randal,

You are most fortunate that you did not marry this woman.  If she could not accept that you wanted to eat meat in your own home, then she really did not love you.  You explained why meat was important to you and she preferred to be a vegetarian and wanted you to become one too.....of course your exercise program was next in line to go.  She was requiring that you adjust to her way of thinking rather than she consider accepting yours.  Just substitute 2 religions in your story, or even a person who drinks alcohol and one who doesn't to understand that the conflict has everything to do with what others might think, changing you to fit her wants and nothing at all to do with unconditional love and respecting personal beliefs.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:04:51 PM by Rita »

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
Barbara, thanks.

In telling the story, I actually forgot the main point regarding people getting angry when you politely decline food that they offer, how people insist that you eat food that doesn't agree with your health choice.

The best friend invited my girlfriend and I to a barbecue - which I assumed meant it was going to be a barbecue. Instead, it was tofu burgers and soy hot dogs. And of course a lot of plates that would make Ron Swanson say, "You've mistakenly served me the food that my food eats."

If you lift weights, of course, soy and tofu are the enemy. They increase estrogen and decrease testosterone; it's worse than eating nothing. I politely declined, even explaining the reason. My girlfriend, her best friend, and the best friend's husband all got angry at me. Their consensus was that I was being rude for declining food that was offered to me.

The girlfriend reiterated that point on the drive home, to which I asked, "If she was in my home, and I offered her a hamburger, would it be rude for her to say no?"

"No, because she's a vegetarian."

"So why is her health choice more valid than mine?"

These days I just say screw it when someone gets mad if I say no to something offered. On WB it mostly happens with beer and appetizers at Happy Hour, cake at work celebrations, and when someone brings in baked goods from home. If politely declining offered foods puts someone off, they've got other issues going on.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
These days I just say screw it when someone gets mad if I say no to something offered. On WB it mostly happens with beer and appetizers at Happy Hour, cake at work celebrations, and when someone brings in baked goods from home. If politely declining offered foods puts someone off, they've got other issues going on.

I have the same sentiment. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »

Sponsored Links