This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: My new favorite cooking tool  (Read 5545 times)

anntsy

• View Profile
My new favorite cooking tool
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »
You may have tried Zucchini "noodles".  I highly recommend you try this.

I started making long strips of veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, daikon) and lightly sauteeing them in olive oil and then topping them with sauce and parmesan (or whatever spaghetti like toppings I am in the mood for).  One night I added healthy homemade turkey meatballs.

I am told you can also boil or microwave the "noodles" but so far I haven't tried that.

There are expensive vegetable spiralizers out there but I found something that does the job for about ten dollars and doesn't take up much room in the kitchen.

This is the coolest little gadget ever --- the Julienne Peeler -- it slices similar to a regular veg peeler but the blade is horizontal instead of vertical and has a second row of "teeth" that forms nice thin strips. 

http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-30700-Julienne-Peeler/dp/B0018ICHH2

Let me know what you think! 

By the way, this thing is sharp!  It comes with a nice little plastic protector so you won't cut yourself reaching around for it in your utensil drawer. 

Another tip is to purchase long vegetables.  You will hold the veggie at one end and slice downward.  You get longer noodles with longer veggies.  The end you hold can be saved for another purpose or just chopped up small and thrown in with the noodles.

Some people like to cut the zucchini and squash in half and scrape out the seeds first.  The seedy centers don't peel well.  I don't mind a little seed mush in my "pasta" so I don't do this.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:06:26 AM by anntsy »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: My new favorite cooking tool
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »
Interesting!  I think I might have to get one of those!

lwbarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »
I'm going to order one. I love zucchini.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:13 AM »
Thanks for the tip - I think I'll get one - cheaper than a good mandolin!   :)

Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »
I will have to get that.  Every time I use my mandolin, I draw blood.  Most of my knives are 45 years old from my wedding, so when I have anything really sharp in my hands, well, you can see the picture. Painful.  I probably need a new stock of kitchen knives, but these are Cutco and work fine yet--albeit not so sharp.

Wheat Free 1 year 4 months. 

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »
Janet -most professional chefs and cooks will tell you that properly sharpened knives are safer than dull ones!  I agree that a mandolin is less safe unless there is a really effective guard on the blade somehow.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »
Ok, I need that but I'd like one with round holes like this one:

http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2011/08/raw-zucchini-noodles-with-sun-dried-tomato-pesto.html

Couldn't  find one online so far @#%$T%#$

Edit:

Nevermind, bought this one:
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Julienne-Peeler/dp/B0000CCY1S

Thanks Anntsy, was looking for pasta alternatives when I saw your post.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:31:09 AM by Bing »

Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »
@HS4  Agreed.  But I am kind of cheap.  LOL. I am not as interested in learning chef methods of cutting either.  Git 'er done and in the pan. If it requires a little more sawing, whatever.  The mandolin is dangerous, frankly.  Have a good one, and we all know it will be a better one without the wheat!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »
I LOVE my slicerizer!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
I also love whomever came up with "brinner".....am using it,

dolphinlover

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 05:05:27 AM »
The julienne peeler is my favorite new tool too! My husband (not a WBer) commented that you could not tell it wasn't angel hair pasta under his spaghetti sauce!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »
I have a similar tool and I've only used it a few times. It's going to be getting a lot of use now! I love the tips on alternatives to pasta. Thanks anntsy!

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
We got the Vidalia Chop Wizard last month.  I was skeptical when we ordered it.  We've been using it a lot.  The device seems to hold itself together and so far hasn't been too hard to clean.  But the chop is incredible.  We made some salsa for a party shortly after getting it and people thought it was professionally made.  And when I want a quick salad of celery, onion and garlic with my canned herring it takes hardly any effort to throw the meal together. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »
I have one of the julianne peelers (actually one for home and one for the cabin).  It is super super super for making fake spaghetti.  Mine came from Pampered Chef. 

I love spaghetti squash but it is actually easier to make faux spaghetti using the peeler!!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »

Sponsored Links