This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: New discovery- Using Sugar to Detect Cancer  (Read 9988 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
New discovery- Using Sugar to Detect Cancer
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »
Interesting discovery:

http://now.msn.com/sugar-used-to-detect-cancer-in-mri-tests#scpshrjwfbs

Makes you really think about sugar in a cancer diet.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: New discovery- Using Sugar to Detect Cancer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
I didn't think this was new. Why do tumors show up on xrays?
Because they are different metabolically.

I read a remark last year, which may have been older, that oncologists use cancer metabolism to image it, but it simply hasn't occurred to them yet to use that to TREAT it.
Why? Because they think cancer is a genetic disease, and they are probably completely mistaken about that.

> Makes you really think about sugar in a cancer diet.

Capsule review of a dense text specifically about that at:
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/12/nails-in-the-coffin/comment-page-3/#comment-138691

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
You have the holistic nutritionists that have said for years that sugar feeds cancer.

Then you've got that quackwatch.com doctor who is probably paid by big-agri, and big-pharma, to call all these nutritionists quacks.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »
> ... to call all these nutritionists quacks.

Apart from the possibly of hired shills, consider what the low-carb movement implies:
  • consensus diet: fatally incorrect
  • consensus theory of and standard treatment for heart disease: fatally incorrect
  • standard treatment for Type 1 diabetes: usually completely unnecessary
  • theory of, and standard of care for cancer: theory probably incorrect, SoC lethal
That's a lot to confront for an MD that got extensive training to the contrary, and just enough nutrition education to convince them that food couldn't possibly matter.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
Yep... you're right.  And you can't expect mega-organizations such as the American Heart Association to suddenly send out a press release and say that what they've told you for the last 40 years is wrong.

Which reminds me, I've got to still read that long report that you posted.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 05:01:49 PM »
> And you can't expect mega-organizations such as the
> American Heart Association to suddenly send out a press release
> and say that what they've told you for the last 40 years is wrong.

Yep. The AAA stood in for them and the ADA at:
WBB: Flash in the Pan Fad Diet?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »
Yep. The AAA stood in for them and the ADA at:WBB: Flash in the Pan Fad Diet?

good post!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 07:42:33 AM »
Good post Boundless....I missed that one (Flash in the Pan). So the bottom line is that we're obligated to challenge our health care providers, as well as their advice.....do colonoscopies hurt more than heal?  Are mammograms vitally necessary.....how often?  I'm beginning to question nearly all medical  protocols, while learning more about the benefits of the VLCBK lifestyle. I've been through the nightmarish oncology industry already will never repeat that experience.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
I discovered several years ago that sugar was what cancer cells fed on, and am fairly certain was one of the reasons I got cancer, along with more estrogen than my body could handle.  I couldn't give it up.  I was so addicted.  Now, 8 months later, I don't miss it, don't crave it, and am so much better off without it.  I mentioned to someone the other day that when I first started WB, I ate a whole roast in two days.  I practically gorged myself on food I could eat, just to keep away from sugar stuff.  Fortunately for me, that gorging period ended in a week or two.  I still lost weight, but now eat smaller meat portions.  A roast lasts a week or so!  :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
Loanne -  I didn't know you had cancer?  What kind?  Are you in remission?

Linda R

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 11:23:57 AM »
Good post Boundless....I missed that one (Flash in the Pan). So the bottom line is that we're obligated to challenge our health care providers, as well as their advice.....do colonoscopies hurt more than heal?  Are mammograms vitally necessary.....how often? I'm beginning to question nearly all medical  protocols, while learning more about the benefits of the VLCBK lifestyle. I've been through the nightmarish oncology industry already will never repeat that experience.

Same here regarding the procedures and protocols. I endured the "nightmarish" cardiology industry and will never repeat that experience if I can possibly avoid it. I was talked into having a stent installed and I am really questioning that decision.
The worse part of the whole ordeal was the ridiculous advice given to me, the stupid dietary guidelines and the prescriptions I was ordered to take by white-coated doctors with "god complexes". Cholesterol testing every 3 months? Are you crazy? No meat? Statins?

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »
Rita, I came down with (right words?) breast cancer in '09, just after my mother passed away.  I was so devastated by her passing that I didn't do anything about it for about 5 months, even though I felt the lumps and pain under my arm (turned out to be stage 3).  Guess I didn't care much about anything back then.  Anyway, I had surgery, then reconstruction, and am going in in a couple of weeks for some tweaking (remove necrotic tissue), etc.  Yes, I consider myself in remission.  I just have this deep feeling/knowing that it won't return.  But who knows?  :)   It was so horrible going thru the treatments (both chemo and radiation) that I vowed if it came back I would not go thru that again.  I know what's on the other side...no fear.  I'm ready!  Another really BIG reason I'm glad I found the WB program.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
Wow Loanne.   That's a lot to go through there.   Sorry you lost your mom.  I too really believe that you can prevent most cancers with good nutrition.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
> I too really believe that you can prevent most cancers with good nutrition.

"Good nutrition" is pretty vague. If the Warburg/Seyfried mitochondrial/metabolic theory of cancer is correct (and being able to remiss cancerwith a keto diet would be pretty convincing), then the dietary key is low carb.

Any number of things can turn a cell cancerous. Cancer cells are glucose-brittle (apparently of all kinds). Deprive them of glucose, and they are apt to not metastasize, not grow, and instead just die as shortly after the mitochrondrial damage occurs.

If a calorie-restricted deep keto diet can remiss cancer, something short of that might suffice for routine protection. A very low carb / borderline keto diet like WB is apt to be highly protective against cancer.
Think: Inuit
Check their cancer rates when they stay on their traditional diet, which is, no surprise, very low carb.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »
I think low carb is definitely good, but I do believe that it's important to add a variety of fruits and veggies to the diet too.   Vitamin C as an example, is very important for a lot of healthy bodily functions.  In the western diet, we don't get Vitamin C from the meat we eat.  ( There is of course the Eskimo argument, but whale skin is an exception and happens to be very high in Vitamin C.  They also ate their meat raw.  - http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2374/traditionally-eskimos-ate-only-meat-and-fish-why-didnt-they-get-scurvy )

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »
I read a fairly long site this afternoon regarding the Warburg/Seyfried study....at least until my brain cried Stop! Along with glucose, they mention the amino acid glutamine, which also has an exacerbating affect on cancerous cells.....so then is meat out?

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=29102.0
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:29:29 PM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
That was quite a read.  Whew.  ( In reading it, I can tell that I am understanding much more than I did before starting school.  But it also makes me realize how much stuff I have yet to learn and internalize ). :o

They did say that:

treating patients with metastatic cancer by a very low CHO diet was published in 2008 [142], and preliminary data from this study presented at the 2011 ASCO-meeting showed a clear correlation between disease stability or partial remission and high ketosis, independent of weight loss and unconscious caloric restriction of the patients

So these are the conclusions of that article:

Conclusions

We summarize our main findings from the literature regarding the role of dietary CHO restriction in cancer development and outcome.

(i) Most, if not all, tumor cells have a high demand on glucose compared to benign cells of the same tissue and conduct glycolysis even in the presence of oxygen (the Warburg effect). In addition, many cancer cells express insulin receptors (IRs) and show hyperactivation of the IGF1R-IR pathway. Evidence exists that chronically elevated blood glucose, insulin and IGF1 levels facilitate tumorigenesis and worsen the outcome in cancer patients.

(ii) The involvement of the glucose-insulin axis may also explain the association of the metabolic syndrome with an increased risk for several cancers. CHO restriction has already been shown to exert favorable effects in patients with the metabolic syndrome. Epidemiological and anthropological studies indicate that restricting dietary CHOs could be beneficial in decreasing cancer risk.

(iii) Many cancer patients, in particular those with advanced stages of the disease, exhibit altered whole-body metabolism marked by increased plasma levels of inflammatory molecules, impaired glycogen synthesis, increased proteolysis and increased fat utilization in muscle tissue, increased lipolysis in adipose tissue and increased gluconeogenesis by the liver. High fat, low CHO diets aim at accounting for these metabolic alterations. Studies conducted so far have shown that such diets are safe and likely beneficial, in particular for advanced stage cancer patients.

(iv) CHO restriction mimics the metabolic state of calorie restriction or - in the case of KDs - fasting. The beneficial effects of calorie restriction and fasting on cancer risk and progression are well established. CHO restriction thus opens the possibility to target the same underlying mechanisms without the side-effects of hunger and weight loss.

(v) Some laboratory studies indicate a direct anti-tumor potential of ketone bodies. During the past years, a multitude of mouse studies indeed proved anti-tumor effects of KDs for various tumor types, and a few case reports and pre-clinical studies obtained promising results in cancer patients as well. Several registered clinical trials are going to investigate the case for a KD as a supportive therapeutic option in oncology.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:50:15 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »
My curiosity these days leans toward the micro/macronutrient components of our diet...and the foods necessary for compliance. While I know going VLCBK is a great start, what about fiber....how much is necessary? Vitamins and minerals....which ones and, again, how much?  Knowing that the RDA's are not based in science, (but rather motivated by personal agendas), leaves me skeptical enough to quit believing anything our governing nutritional agencies advocate. I think this is another big 'uncharted' area of study.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 06:06:21 AM »
Kris Verburgh should be interesting, he talks about which supplements to take and why, and which are total nonsense.
He also talks about fiber, veggies, meat, fish... some of his lectures are on YT in english as well.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
Rita - exactly what study are you referring to with the quotes?  Thanks

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »

Rita - exactly what study are you referring to with the quotes?  Thanks

This article:  http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=29102.0

Just FYI, when you go there,  know that each 'forum post' on that page is a section of that article.   It's an interesting read.  If you scroll all the way down after clicking it, you'll see the conclusions.   Also, towards the bottom the author has highlighted a few things in red that I think are important.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »
My curiosity these days leans toward the micro/macronutrient components of our diet...and the foods necessary for compliance. While I know going VLCBK is a great start, what about fiber....how much is necessary? Vitamins and minerals....which ones and, again, how much?  Knowing that the RDA's are not based in science, (but rather motivated by personal agendas), leaves me skeptical enough to quit believing anything our governing nutritional agencies advocate. I think this is another big 'uncharted' area of study.

That's what I love about what I'm learning these days in my nutritional program.  The Anatomy and Physiology book is so interesting, as everything comes down to chemistry.  Protons, neutrons, atoms, etc., and different combinations of all these molecules to form specialized cells.  Each cell that is created, has it's own special job function.  If a cell doesn't have what it needs, it can't do it's job.  And whatever that cell was responsible for, will ultimately negatively impact that bodily function.   

I just bought a food-based multi-vitamin Raw One for Women that the Whole Foods nutritionist recommended.   But I noticed that there was no magnesium in it.   I feel I need to up my magnesium, but then the other thing about taking supplements is that you have to take them in the right proportion to each other too.   So I'm still looking for a good "know that I'm covered" whole foods based supplement combo.

I'm still just sick about the fact that the eggs I've been buying had a 1-egg rating.   Here I thought I was being so healthy.   I just emailed a farm to find out about getting eggs and raw goat milk from them.  Pasturized milk destroys all the nutrients.  ( My husband's freaking out on me with the raw milk, because he says that when he was a kid, he had a cousin who had raw milk and became paralyzed from the neck down ).   

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 06:40:31 AM »
Thanks Bing.....I'm checking out his site.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »
Rita,
I did a very cursory anatomy class for yoga but it was minimal and merely 'whetted' my appetite to dig deeper. I'm currently on a modest supplement regimen and now and then, I'll have my husband muscle test me and crazy as it sounds, sometimes I'll test negative for certain things and exclude them that day. But I'm still going to dig deeper in regards to the RDA info.....

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 11:05:01 AM »
BTW....the Cornucopia Institute is gathering date to publish a scorecard for organic chickens and along with that, are planning a re port comparing organic chicken husbandry to the factory-farmed model.....hope Whole Food's chickens score higher than their eggs!

Linda R

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
BTW....the Cornucopia Institute is gathering date to publish a scorecard for organic chickens and along with that, are planning a re port comparing organic chicken husbandry to the factory-farmed model.....hope Whole Food's chickens score higher than their eggs!

Excellent! That is the 2nd site I have heard about that is doing the research to give us, the consumer, more accurate information regarding the food we all eat. Can't recall the 1st one by name, they were on Twitter trying to raise the funds to get it off the ground, they plan to create an app to be used as you shop, telling you about the farm on that label of eggs and/or poultry.
We need more and more of this, especially with our idiotic congressional wackjobs in state after state passing ag-gag laws. I am embarrassed to say that it was done here, in Iowa. WTH are they trying to hide?
I love roast chicken but I don't feel that the animal needs to suffer needlessly before ending up in my oven. Did you know that poultry overall has the weakest, fewest laws to protect them from abuse?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »
Very good video on stopping cancer with a ketogenic diet:

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 07:51:16 AM »
Another excellent video Rita. Thank you so much for posting it. I just wish I knew better how to interpret some of these findings for my own use. I'm trying to understand the how to's for a ketogenic diet but it's a little confusing to me. Especially with the idea of lower protein and calorie consumption thrown in. Wow, there is so much to learn! Can my 64 year old brain do this? LOL

For now I'll continue to read and allow myself to be open to the new information and decide as best I can what's good for me. I'm already so much improved that I want to keep this going by continuing to learn and adapt.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 07:51:16 AM »

Sponsored Links