This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Reversing Type 2 Diabetes  (Read 7013 times)

anntsy

• View Profile
Reversing Type 2 Diabetes
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »
I mentioned this also in my introduction but the news that type 2 diabetes is reversable is so important that I want to mention it again here under "Success Stories".  Last year I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes and my blood sugar was very high (A!C 11%).  I had four difficult eye surgeries due to diabetic complications.  My doctor said I was looking at a lifetime of shooting insulin and taking meds.  I did mad research and found evidence that I could reverse this disease with radical diet and lifestyle changes.  Less than a year later - after going off all meds - and just eating no wheat, low carbs and being really active, I have dropped my A1C to 6.7% (just a point or so above normal).  The doctor doesn't know what to make of it.   I am continuing to improve my diet all the time and am getting thinner and healthier and know that I will completely reverse the diabetes soon.   I am pretty happy about this and feel I have a new lease on life.   

arlin

• View Profile
Re: Reversing Type 2 Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
Hi anntsy. Good for you!! I'm happy to hear about your success :) You're on your way to a better life and good health!

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 11 years ago, and like you, started off with my A1C at 11%. Made some radical changes right away and those changes did help a lot. Was only on meds for a few months, but with daily exercise and going on a low carb diet I was able to go off and maintain (for the most part). However, it was a struggle. Always. I was never comfortable taking my readings as I never knew if I'd been "good" enough with my diet and exercise to have yet another good reading. My readings were low enough to please my Dr.  but not in the range I wanted them to be. I wanted them to be in normal range regardless of whether or not I was able to get that mile walk in every. single. day.!

Plus, I was starting to develop other problems. Found it harder and harder to keep the weight off despite exercise, and I was always hungry and craving sweets and having to fight it! But, at the time I was still eating wheat (albeit what I considered to be "good" wheat like sprouted, organic grain bread). I had no idea that it was the wheat that was stalling my weight loss and lower blood sugar. I'm so glad to know what exactly it was that I was eating that was so harmful to me. I've had great success already in just the three weeks I've been grain-free and I couldn't feel more blessed to feel this much better so quickly. I was skeptical at first that the results would start to show so fast, but not any more! I have a ways to go, but now have the confidence that in time I WILL be non diabetic, and in better health overall.

janlyn1978

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:35:14 AM »
Good for you!  What an inspiration to the rest of us!  I, too, and Type 2 Diabetic.  My numbers have fallen into the normal range as well, not as dramatically, but enough to prove to me that this really works!  I would like to be able to come off my meds, but I am still about 50 lbs overweight (even after losing 20), so I'm hoping that will come as the weight comes off.  Keep up the good work. 

kmd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
What encouraging stories all of you have.  Yes - I think that this can be reversed as well with the right diet and exercise.   :)   You'd think that dr.'s treating diabetes would take note of the results of eliminating all wheat and get on the band wagon, right?

lucentio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »
I was diagnosed last September. I had to take 26 units of insulin at the start. Two months ago the drs allowed me to drop insulin but now take 2 metformin a day. I hope I can drop those at next clinic checkup. My weight has dropped  35 lbs from my peak. I've been wheat free for 7 months now.  A negative with metformin is that alcohol does not work. I can't drink wine as it makes me nauseous. I do have occasional gin and tonic or beer now and again.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
Lucentio~I think if you're very careful with not only dropping the wheat, but also dropping other high carb foods/grains you will see amazing results in time. Every person is different. I don't believe I would have had the quick results that I've seen if I hadn't already been doing some things to improve my overall blood sugar spikes. I was a little confused and disappointed in the beginning (before I discovered Wheat Belly) that dropping the carb count and exercising wasn't enough to get me in normal range, but since I've dropped ALL grains and lowered my sugar intake via smaller servings of fruits for instance, I've seen the numbers drop beautifully. Good luck on your journey. You'll get there!! And congratulations on your weight loss!! That's wonderful! :)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
> Yes - I think that this can be reversed as well with the right diet and exercise.

No think about it.
  • T2D is 100% avoidable with a low carb diet.
  • T2D is 100% reversible at the metabolic syndrome stage.
  • T2D is 100% reversible at the pre-diabetic stage.
  • T2D is effectively 100% reversible after diagnosis (no meds required), if the complications are not severe.
  • T2D is 100% manageable primarily with diet (minimal meds) at any stage prior to terminal.
And exercise is optional.

We're not talking about a ketogenic diet, just low carb high fat (LCHF). T2D is a completely predictable consequence of a full-time high-glycemic diet.

> You'd think that dr.'s treating diabetes would take note of the
> results of eliminating all wheat and get on the band wagon, right?

You'd think. You'd be mistaken. And the ADA won't tell you either.

There are many reasons for this, but a big one is the HF (high fat) part of LCHF. The doc would also have to grasp that they've been completely mislead on fats and lipids. For most of them, that's too much at once. So LCHF remissing T2D can't be true, because if it were ...

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:37 AM »
I think is was 7 years ago I was told I was "pre-diabetic" and insulin resistant.  So tried diet/exercise (diets---South Beach, lo-fat, WW with nothing working).  Then 4 years ago I was told I had the diabetes so went on metformin (release form) 2X/daily.  I began to do water-walking for my exercise (we now live in FL) which I'm dogmatic about.
I heard about WB and began that this past Jan.  I've  begun my weight-loss journey at LONG LAST!!  I'm down about 35 lbs (I didn't weigh for a month after starting, gah!!!!), my A1c went from 6.8 to 5.8.  My cholesterol is evening out (my primaries words).  I'm beginning to feel better.  I'm way over-weight--dare I say it?  I was in the 260's when I began this journey which made me very sad!!!  I've not been a "one-sy" since the 90's.  Other than the obvious, I should lose weight as two years ago I got the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia!  I'm excited to see the positive changes since going on this WB plan!!!
One thing though...my BP was always been very good...that is until the last 3 or 4 checks at my clinic.  I had been seeing my primary every 3 mo. so they take it them PLUS when I go in for labs.  These last checks have been in the 150's over 90's...which I know isn't good.  I was on lisenopril (5mg) once a day to protect my heart due to the diabetes.  She's advising me to take one now twice a day!  I'm reading on these posts folks' BP is going DOWN now that they're on WB.  Hoping mine will too!!!!!!!!!!!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
LibbyMe, my BP has not gone down either, but has stayed about the same. I don't know why.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:34:56 AM »
Great job LibbyMe!  Was at 280 when I went wheat free end of February.  Now down to 249.  I also haven't weighed in the 100s since the early 90s but for the first time in my life I believe I can get back down there again.  My BP has come down some (from 140/90 to 130/80) and I've been on benazepril for a decade now.  I'm curious to see what my BP will be when I get under that 200 mark. 

lucentio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 11:25:36 PM »
Arlin     It's been over a year since I posted last.   My weight has now dropped 50 lbs in total. I am off all meds, no Metformin or insulin, but also off BP meds.  My A1C is 5.7. I eat no wheat but do eat 100% sourdough rye bread.  No fruit juice but I do eat one piece of fruit a day. No pop or sugar in tea.  I now like a glass of wine now and again,  also one or two beers on a hot day.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 04:59:33 AM »
I mentioned this also in my introduction but the news that type 2 diabetes is reversable is so important that I want to mention it again here under "Success Stories".  Last year I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes and my blood sugar was very high (A!C 11%).  I had four difficult eye surgeries due to diabetic complications.  My doctor said I was looking at a lifetime of shooting insulin and taking meds.  I did mad research and found evidence that I could reverse this disease with radical diet and lifestyle changes.  Less than a year later - after going off all meds - and just eating no wheat, low carbs and being really active, I have dropped my A1C to 6.7% (just a point or so above normal).  The doctor doesn't know what to make of it.   I am continuing to improve my diet all the time and am getting thinner and healthier and know that I will completely reverse the diabetes soon.   I am pretty happy about this and feel I have a new lease on life.   

Doctor's thoughts when he saw the results "What? An  non medically trained person has proved me wrong! No! I'm not wrong, can't be. I am a doctor. The tests must be wrong. The lab made a mistake. She will need to keep taking these medications the rest of her life. Right? Right? It can't be as simple as change what you eat, change your life - could it?"

Congrats on reversing a "permanent" illness. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 05:05:27 AM »
What encouraging stories all of you have.  Yes - I think that this can be reversed as well with the right diet and exercise.   :)  You'd think that dr.'s treating diabetes would take note of the results of eliminating all wheat and get on the band wagon, right?

With the 1 hour lecture on nutrition doctors receive in medical school, this makes them the absolute authorities on health.  Besides, and I've read it here, if all their patients got better, who could they push their drug management programs to?  They might have to change jobs to something that really mattered, like being veterinarians or dentists.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 05:12:31 AM »
Arlin     It's been over a year since I posted last.   My weight has now dropped 50 lbs in total. I am off all meds, no Metformin or insulin, but also off BP meds.  My A1C is 5.7. I eat no wheat but do eat 100% sourdough rye bread.  No fruit juice but I do eat one piece of fruit a day. No pop or sugar in tea.  I now like a glass of wine now and again,  also one or two beers on a hot day.

Congratulations Lucentio. That is truly remarkable.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:16 AM »
Lucentio,

Wonderful to hear about your success!  Sometimes we plateau or don't see results fast enough to suit what/where we think we should be.  Your story encourages us all.  Congrats.    :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »
Excellent Lucentio!!   I appreciate you coming back a year later to share this update.   Thank you.  And congratulations!!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:59 AM »
> I am off all meds, ...

Excellent.

> My A1C is 5.7.

Current WB target is 5.0 or less.

> I eat no wheat but do eat 100% sourdough rye bread.

Rye is a gluten-bearing grain, and most modern cultivars might as well be wheat in terms of adverse proteins and glycemic index.

> No fruit juice but I do eat one piece of fruit a day.

Continue avoiding the juice. Fruit as whole fruit, subject to net carb targets, is probably not a problem.

> I now like a glass of wine now and again, ...

Mostly harmless. Paleo rule of thumb is no more than a bottle a week, and not all at once.

> ... also one or two beers on a hot day.

Unless carefully chosen, these are delivering various adverse proteins from gluten-bearing grains. Even the GF beers are still moderate glycemic (one beer is your 15 gram net carb limit for a meal).

I'd conjecture that the bread and beer are keeping the A1C higher than you might want.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:59 AM »

Sponsored Links