This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Probiotics  (Read 20700 times)

scrupulousgirl

Probiotics
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:19:58 PM »
I would like someone to please reference Dr. Davis' spiel on Probiotics and if you're in the mood, please share what Brand and kind you are using and a share Link if possible. Thank you  :)

I saw this article today and going to have to think about this one.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/are-probiotics-new-prozac

Here is the one I have been using for several years, but unsure if this meets Dr. Davis' criteria for a good one.

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-probiotic-15-35-35-billion-cfu-120-vegetarian-capsules-4

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:28:27 PM by scrupulousgirl »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Probiotics
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »
I saw this article today and going to have to think about this one.http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/are-probiotics-new-prozac

I do feel a happy sense of well being every time I have my goat yogurt.  Maybe there is truth to it.

I also just bought a probiotic called Ultimate Flora that the nutritionist at whole foods recommended.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
VSL#3 from Sigma-Tau

The consumer dosages are comfortably above the 50Bcfu that Dr. D. recommends. No need to go for the prescription strength.

If your PB is cheap, it's probably useless.

If your PB is not sold out of a refrigerator, or is not shipped in a cold-pack from cold storage, it's probably useless. These are live bacteria, and it doesn't take too much to kill them.

VSL#3 is shipped (by ST) Fedex 2nd-day in a carton, within which is a styro cooler and two cold packs. Shelf life at room temp is 2 weeks. They target arrival at or below 80F. Ours arrived at 56F.

Be sure to use ST's "find a pharmacy" to see if anyone local has it in (refrigerated) stock. Around here, the nearest place was a hospital 3 hours away, so we mail-ordered.

Note: ST claims that many chains of drugstores and supermarkets carry VSL3, but every one I asked around here had never heard of it. A couple thought they could order it. Umm. No thanks. I would also be nervous about resellers (e.g. Amazon), in that there's no way of knowing what their storage conditions are, even if the shipping seems competently cooled.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
Just grabbed some goat yogurt for lunch.   Cold and full of good bacteria.  :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 04:25:24 PM »
When I started WB, I started taking 'Ultimate Flora" Critical Colon Bifidomax....80 Bcfu. (I think it was one that Dr. D recommended in a post) which I found in the refrigerated section at the health food store. After reading the contents of the VSL#3, it's plus or minus a few strains, but looks comparable.

I stopped taking PB three months after starting WB, thinking my gut flora was probably ok (no symptoms to the contrary). But after reading Campbell-McBride (of GAPS), and hearing how long it takes her patients to heal 'leaky guts', I decided to resume.  In her 20 years of experience in this field, she found that adding different types of fermented foods to the daily diet, in conjunction with the probiotics had an accelerated effect on healing leaky guts due to the cross section of bacteria introduced.

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
VSL#3 from Sigma-Tau

The consumer dosages are comfortably above the 50Bcfu that Dr. D. recommends. No need to go for the prescription strength.

Note: ST claims that many chains of drugstores and supermarkets carry VSL3, but every one I asked around here had never heard of it. A couple thought they could order it. Umm. No thanks. I would also be nervous about resellers (e.g. Amazon), in that there's no way of knowing what their storage conditions are, even if the shipping seems competently cooled.

Boundless,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post. I appreciate it and will look further into this.

Have a great evening!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
Hi Boundless,

How did you find out about this probiotic? 
The website keeps saying that you must be under a doctor's supervision to take the pills.  Why is that?  If this is sold over the counter, it isn't prescription strength although it has a very high cfu.  I'm just wondering why this is so highly recommended besides the high cfu count.

It seems to me that truly repairing our damaged intestinal tracts takes a lot longer than a month or two when you are older.  Any additional help to speed the process is welcomed.

Thanks,
Barbara

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
> How did you find out about this probiotic?

It was mentioned during an email correspondence, so I looked into it.

VSL#3 seems to be the gold ("if you can afford it") standard in the IBS/pouchitis/UC communities.

> The website keeps saying that you must be under a doctor's supervision to take the pills.  Why is that?

Their lawyer made them do it, I imagine. There are rare cases of adverse reaction to PBs generally, some mentioned in:
Use of probiotics in gastrointestinal disorders: what to recommend?

The prescription strength formulations may be partly to enable insurance coverage, which is easily worth considering if you have an actual (rare) 21st century doctor.

> If this is sold over the counter, it isn't prescription strength
> although it has a very high cfu.  I'm just wondering why this is
> so highly recommended besides the high cfu count.

Apart from actual independent trial results, my guess is informative labeling and quality control.
The probiotic industry has some, umm, issues:
http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/articles/2010/04/probiotic-quality-control-challenges.aspx
(and that's from an industry cheerleader).

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
Boundless,

Appreciate your comments on VSL#3.  The web site was impressive.  Through the years, I have taken probiotics that probably were worthless. Too few strains, cfu's and either didn't require refrigeration (break though technology!) or were not enteric coated and dissolved in my stomach.  I understand the industry issues!  No wonder getting rid of a yeast infection after being given antibiotics was so difficult. 

I don't have IBS or UC, but think that healing my intestines as quickly as possible will keep me from the ravages of grain and sugar induced misery which is taking its toll on my peer group.  I have been following WB for 9 months.

I just finished a 35 bio. cfu "Primadophilus Optima with 14 strains and short chain fructooligosaccharides when i read your post.  Good product and competitively priced.  Variations in strains is probably important for overall flora health, so I was eager to try the "gold" standard.

Walgreens carries VSL#3  in the pharmacy department refrigerator.  $48.  You have to ask for it. 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:54:15 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 09:47:19 AM »
Good article!

Inch by inch the print on this topic will increase.  The explosion of current medical problems such as autistic children, diabetes, hbp and cholesterol, fatty livers and excess weight will come under a lot more scrutiny
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:57:17 AM by Rita »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
Wow Rita, that's an interesting link!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
Great post....I read on Dr. Ayres site that they have actually had successful human fecal transplants to restore gut ecology....I can't remember the exact maladies they were targeting but I doubt Anthem paid the bill!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
I'm a nail bitter.  Wonder if that might turn into a health benefit.  lol

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
I know Rita....it gives one a whole new perspective on dirt! But I love the concept that there is a world of tiny living, breathing critters in all shapes and sizes swimming around in my belly.....and I hope they're relieved that I finally figured out how to feed them and add some new friends!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »
I really enjoyed that article Rita. Fascinating, the things that have such a huge influence on our mental and physical heath! Every time I read something new like this, I'm so thankful that I got involved in this lifestyle and this forum.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
Gut feelings: the future of psychiatry may be inside your stomach

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4595712/gut-feelings-the-future-of-psychiatry-may-be-inside-your-stomach

Thanks.
From my personal experience, the link can be REALLY strong.
Especially when I have supplements my body doesn't agree with, I took some strong probiotics and was left with anxiety attacks for like 3 days.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »
Bing....I read somewhere in the GAPS material that when introducing probiotics and fermented foods into the diet, it's better to err on the side of caution and go slow. Let your body be your guide.....if you have any adverse side effects, back off to a tolerable level, then reintroduce again at a later time. Let your body  be your guide......

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 06:03:45 AM »
Bing....I read somewhere in the GAPS material that when introducing probiotics and fermented foods into the diet, it's better to err on the side of caution and go slow. Let your body be your guide.....if you have any adverse side effects, back off to a tolerable level, then reintroduce again at a later time. Let your body  be your guide......

Thanks Jan,
Yes I will try again building up from 1/4 capsule.

Maybe interesting as well:
http://suppversity.blogspot.nl/2013/02/gut-bacteria-modulation-ramp-up-your.html

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:44:09 AM »
Good article Bing....and it endorses the theory that the combination of 'prebiotic' foods (non-digestible foods that end up in the digestive system that help the beneficial bacteria grow), along with fermented foods and probiotics can restore gut ecology. While their study included dietary strategies that we do not share, it still shows that "we are what we eat, and not what we supplement".....I think gut ecology is the next most important component of this lifestyle.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »
Apparently many varieties of probiotics have an enteric coating, (a polymer of acrylic acid) which is supposed to allow it to pass through the stomach intact....can't seem to find that info on the VSL site.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:10 AM »
Another missive on 'leaky gut syndrome'....this guy recommends 100 billion units of probiotics....as well as BONE BROTH!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »
My probiotics say 'acid resistant' which is about the same thing, in practice.  The little good guys need to get to the small intestine or colon, nothing lives in HCL very long.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:14:10 PM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
Oops....forgot to paste the post!!http://www.draxe.com/4-steps-to-heal-leaky-gut-and-autoimmune-disease/

And what was that top healing food that was listed?   ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:35:22 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
Ha....Yes, bone broth seems to keep popping up!

darren

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 05:41:43 AM »
Barbara NJ and Boundless, thanks for your help on WB =)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
I did find one bottle of  VSL#3 at a local CVS....someone had ordered it and didn't pick it up.  As it had been ordered as a doctor-prescribed drug, the pharmacist was unsure whether he could sell it to me but after checking online, he did. Apparently it isn't something they normally carry and their price was $10 higher than buying it online.....so I guess ordering it in quantities is the best bet.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 09:39:04 AM »
Hi Jan,

Hope you enjoyed your trip to the beautiful east coast! 

I have found that taking VSL#3 requires some experimentation.  I need to take 1 pill only at a time, with food. Perhaps the high dosage is a problem for me.  Whatever, it made my ears itch and made me sneeze the first time I took the pills, but I didn't take them with food.  Now that I take only 1 pill at a time with food (especially cheese), I can say that I feel like my intestines have calmed down even though I didn't know they were not "calm".  No change in intestinal motility. 

I didn't find any reference to when and how to take this product on the package or website.  I also couldn't find any reference to whether or not they were enteric coated, only a reference to the bacteria reaching the intestines by "shear numbers", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Overall, I do like this product and I think it is really doing some good.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:52:46 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Barbara.....I've only been taking the VSL#3 for a few days but so far, no negative issues. I'm taking one capsule with my brunch/lunch meal and supplementing with a sampling of fermented foods, bone broth (which I missed TERRIBLY in NY).  I did email the company regarding the enteric coating on their product and they responded that I would need to contact them personally to get that info....it's on my to-do list!

My current dilemma is finding traditionally fermented olives....most olive bars contain olives and veggies that are mass produced and are packed in a solution of vinegar and canola oil (I asked to see the ingredient list) rendering them useless. I don't have access to traditional greek specialty markets which is where one might find these.....and can't seem to locate them online either, but haven't given up. I did order a sample pack of fermented veggies from Immunitrition to try.

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
Good afternoon!

Saturday marked 12 weeks on WB for me and I am thrilled to report my current weight loss stands at 21 pounds! I ordered the Renew Life 50 Billion probiotic that Dr. Davis recommends on WBB and that should be here today so I will start it tomorrow morning. I know there is hope for correcting loose stools, but wonder if the 50 Billion going from 35 Billion that I am currently on is really going to make that much of a difference for me. I've been wondering if my 100 - 120oz of water a day is causing loose stools or if it is still an issue with High fat?

I saw a Thread on this Board late last week or over the weekend talking about throwing your body off and trying different probiotic strains and not allowing your body to get used to what you are doing, which I agree with. I cannot seem to figure out through elimination process of what is causing my bathroom issues which last from about 11:00am to 2:00pm most days of the week and then I am totally fine before and after. My plan was to do the 50 Billion for 60 days and then change to another probiotic from there. I am not interested in Fermented foods at all, but I have added Chobani yogurt twice a week back about 2 weeks ago. I don't know if it is making any difference, but it has been nice to have something new and different for Breakfast or Lunch.

I know that on the latest WBB Testimony that Dr. Davis posted late last week, the woman said her chronic loose stools normalized, but did not see a time-frame given for how long to expect that to happen. I have hope that it will happen, but growing impatient with this process. I've added cheese back and Cream for my tea and kept going with the MCT oil, but I cannot decipher what is causing these near daily bouts from late morning to just after lunch.

Any advice would be welcome. I am at a loss besides just quitting eating altogether HA HA

ETA:

I am taking the following Supplements besides the Probiotics:

Biotin
5-HTP
Feverfew
Cat's Claw
Ojibwa (Essiac)
Kelp
Evening Primrose oil
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:06:24 PM by scrupulousgirl »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
Scrupulous,

Are you taking magnesium supplements?  If so, how is it processed?  It should say on the label.  Magnesium citrate is the easiest to digest.  Try to take it with food and in small doses.  Magnesium is famous for causing loose stools.  Think Milk of Magnesia!
Also check what time you take the supplement.  Change the time and see if it changes your bathroom time....then you know that the magnesium is the culprit.

Probiotics only need a few days or so to acclimate to your system.  Chances are they are not the cause.  The VSL#3 I had a problem with is 100 billion cfu per pill.  My reaction was that it made my ears and nose tingle.  I didn't take it for a day or so and then started taking it with food.  No problem afterwards.  No change in bowel habits either. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
Scrupulous,
You might change up the time you take your probiotic and see if that has any effect.....also check into the feverfew you're taking, it says that long term usage can provoke bowel issues such as yours. Maybe a question for Dr. D?

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »
Barbara & Jan,

Thank you for responding. No, I'm not taking any supplement for Magnesium, but a curious quick search does not make me a happy girl. I found this link http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-magnesium.php that suggests Raw Spinach (Green smoothie) which I have at least twice a week, Dark chocolate, which I have a few times a week AND Avocados which I have almost everyday are FULL of magnesium! Obviously, I can cut out the Dark Chocolate, but taking away my beloved Green smoothie AND Avocados!

Jan, I have only reintroduced the Feverfew maybe (3) weeks ago, so I will try removing that for a week and see how it goes. I will also take your suggestion and try taking the new Probiotic later in the day. This is very discouraging.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 04:50:26 PM »
Scrupulous,

Sometimes Evening Primrose oil can cause loose bowels. 

I'e used cats claw and never had a problem. Very soothing for your intestines. Your Ojibwa is the 4 herb one I hope.  There are many imitations and the original is the best in my opinion. 

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »
Scrupulous,

Sometimes Evening Primrose oil can cause loose bowels. 

I'e used cats claw and never had a problem. Very soothing for your intestines. Your Ojibwa is the 4 herb one I hope.  There are many imitations and the original is the best in my opinion.

Barbara,

The Ojibwa extract I have is from NOW Foods. I began taking it about (10) to (12) days ago. I've tossed the 85% Dark chocolate and put both the Fever few and Evening Primrose on the shelf for a couple of weeks. I'm really not sure what to think about all of this new information. It's a lot o take in and trying to not be discouraged.

I do have a brand new Primary doctor I will be seeing next month so it will be interesting to see my blood work. They set me up for a Midnight fast prior to my AM appt. I was beginning to wonder if I need Food allergy testing. Maybe this is good news and just needed some better insight into what I'm eating. Again, I do appreciate yours and Jan and anyone else's insight!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »
Scrupulous,

Perhaps stop drinking the Essaic tea for a few days.  That too can start intestinal problems if it is too strong or too much is ingested for your body to handle at the moment.  It is a very good product, but I think it may be tricky to figure out the right dosage for your needs. An on-going tonic should be weak as I remember.

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 06:38:49 AM »
Barbara,

The Ojibwa is in tablet form. I otherwise drink up to 100 - 120oz of plain COLD water including (2) - (3) cups English Breakfast  or Green tea.

I am thrilled to report that yesterday, I had zero issues. The new probiotic seemed to make a bigger difference than I anticipated.

With yours and Jan's help, I am back on the right track. I am very appreciative of your help!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 07:09:28 AM »
Scrupulous,

Wonderful that you seem to be on the mend.  The cause may never be known or it could be just your system getting rid of too many toxins at once or your system is getting "cleaner" so smaller, sporadic or no doses of those 3 or 4 herbs are needed. 

Whatever, the result is good news!   ;D

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »
That's great scrupulous!

I wonder if it was the chocolate.   I'm finding that the day after I've had chocolate, my stools are very soft.    ( We talk about such lovely things here don't we?? )

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
That's great scrupulous!

I wonder if it was the chocolate.   I'm finding that the day after I've had chocolate, my stools are very soft.    ( We talk about such lovely things here don't we?? )

LOL Rita, I was thrilled when Dr. Oz and Oprah had their poop show and my mom hates every time I talk about it HA HA HA   I really think it was a combination of the high magnesium foods along with the Evening Primrose oil and Feverfew combination. Several years ago, I took the Evening primrose with no problem, so not sure why it would cause issues now, but like Barbara mentioned, in an earlier post, I may never know the exact cause, but as I head into the last of my "bewitching hour" as of the last few weeks, again I've had zero issues today. That Renew Life 50 Billion Probiotic is right on the money for me!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
My son was on antibiotics this week, so I got some Yakult, which is that probiotic drink in those mini bottles.   Yesterday, one of the yakults fell out of the package and spilled all over the floor.   Our dog then immediately came over and licked it up.

So I'm sitting in my home office today, and the dog is in the living room.   I can hear the her stomach making all kinds of gassy noises.  I'm guessing that is the yakult. Hopefully she won't have a major diarrhea explosion in the house!   :-\   

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »
I'm copying and pasting a conversation from a different thread here:

Jan wrote:
Here's Dr. P's list of daily recommended supplements for brain/body health....continuing throughout the rest of your life.....

alpha-lipoic acid    600mg.
coconut oil           1 tsp.
DHA                    1,000 mg. (either fish oil or algae derived)
probiotics             1 cap of at least 10 billion active cultures (taken on empty stomach)
resveratrol           100 mg. 2Xday
tumeric                350 mg 2X day
Vit D                    5,000 IU daily

Then I ( Rita ) wrote:

Thanks Jan.   Interesting that he recommends taking probiotics on an empty stomach.
Then Boundless wrote:
> Interesting that he recommends taking probiotics on an empty stomach.
That makes sense in that it makes it more likely that the PB capsule will pass through intact to the lower GI.Not having read the book yet, I wonder if this is a hedge for non-enteric-coated pills,and also whether "empty stomach" means "before starting meal" or "between meals"
and Jan responded:

As far as the recommendation to take probiotics on an empty stomach....he didn't give a reason, but I suspect that Boundless answered that.....without digesting additional foods, there will be less hydrochloric acid in the stomach and a greater chance of the PB making it to the intestines without being totally compromised. While the book didn't give preferred brand names of supplements, Dr.P indicated that information was included on his web site....however, so far, I haven't been able to locate the info.

I have noticed enteric coatings on a some vitamins, other than probiotics lately.....may be a new thing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:11:22 PM by Rita »

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
Dr.D. lately had some more words on PBs in the article:
WBB: Surviving wheat withdrawal

I've asked for further expansion of the topic in reply:
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/09/surviving-wheat-withdrawal/comment-page-2/#comment-163434

I'll update this thread if anything is forthcoming.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 08:59:53 AM »
I was surprized at how many of Dr. Perlmutter's suppliments I already take, including the probiotics.  From my point of view, they have really worked and I'm researching the turmeric and resveratrol.  I'm hanging on you guy's every word here.  Thanks for all the great info.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »
Lynda.....we started adding the turmeric and resveratrol this week but haven't noticed a difference in anything yet....I am curious about the probiotics tho, and wonder about the efficacy of long term usage. Campbell-McBride indicates that it may take up to two years to correct leaky gut syndrome.....Dr. D advises probiotics for a few months....And Dr. P, while they are on his list of supplements, doesn't give a duration. I guess we're in uncharted waters......

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
To join this discussion, my thoughts are that it just depends on the condition of your intestines.  Some people have much more severe leaky guts than others, some have diverticuli that possibly are in need of healing, and the list goes on....
Seems to me that the older you are, the longer you need to take the extra probiotics because you have been exposed to wheat much more than a young person or child.  Of course, if you have had intestinal problems, have eaten a lot of foods from animals or fish treated with antibiotics,  or have taken them for any reason, you need to take probiotics longer than someone without this exposure.  Yeast infections, UTI, fungus nails and other conditions usually indicate probiotic supplementation is still needed.  When these go away, and your bowels and digestion are normal, then I think you can stop the pills. 

Diet is critical because the foods you eat are what gives you the proper bacteria. 

Since there are so many viewpoints on the duration of supplementing with probiotics, it probably means that your judgment is important.  If there aren't any issues to resolve and you are in good health with no "conditions" then it doesn't seem necessary to take them. 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:51:26 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »
Wow Rita! At least "There's no stool left - just stool bugs"...

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
It's a fascinating subject.  I think Jan's right, we are a bit in uncharted waters.  If my gastro's any indication, we are in 'blank look' waters!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »

Sponsored Links