This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Probiotics  (Read 20657 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Probiotics
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »

Didn't know where to post this because it involves probiotics, magnesium, maybe thyroid and more.

I didn't have too many stomach problems that I recognized before starting WB over 2 years ago...occasionally constipated...almost never diarrhea. I was on Synthroid for several years before that. Started WB...all was good. Then at some point I started having diarrhea once a day, every day. Then it began to seem that the Synthroid was not helping me any longer so I got off it about 14 months ago. I began having other problems so I got on Armour Thyroid a couple of weeks later (at my request, not PCP's suggestion). I'm not doing great on the Armour...can only take a small portion of the pill because if I take more, it makes me hyper.

I was finally diagnosed with a small sliding hiatal hernia in August. I stopped Nexium on August 10 because my chiropractor friend told me that  it completely shuts down your stomach and your food rots and produces gas. I began taking dry vitamin A regularly in small amounts (also has a little calcium in it) because it had helped me off and on for many years with the hernia pain before I even knew I had a hernia. The hernia pain has been much better. However, the diarrhea continued.

I started magnesium because of the info I found that it will lower blood pressure. Of course, the diarrhea got worse until I found Doctor's Best Chelated Mag which I seem able to tolerate. A couple of months ago I started taking probiotics. Even though I was not taking the good ones (a GNC complex every other day and an Ultimate Flora every other day), I could still tell they were making a difference. (Btw, I started the good ones...VSL#3-Sigma Tau...a few days ago.) Anyway after getting the mag somewhat regulated and starting the probiotics, I began to be constipated...a complete reversal. Then I started a tsp of coconut oil a day (which I could not take AT ALL previously because the diarrhea would be so bad).

I'm still not regulated...still constipated...considering upping the coconut oil. Also wondering if it's the probiotics making the difference, maybe I should try one of the other magnesiums again.

I know this sounds like a conglomerate of info. But I was thinking maybe someone else could see some thing that I'm not seeing. Thanks guys!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »
Hi Deanna,

First, you MUST make sure you drink water in the amount of half your body weight in ounces.  This helps your body remove all the toxins.

Second, it seems to me that you need to give these probiotics a longer chance.  If the pills you took before weren't the refrigerated variety, then they probably weren't all that potent.  VSL#3 is VERY potent.  Why don't you try to take one pill in the morning and one before you go to bed.  Drinking the water helps to keep your stools normalized.  I've taken 2 bottles of VSL#3 and no longer feel I need it.  There is an herb, called Slippery Elm which I take when I feel my stools are either too loose or too compacted.  This is a mucilage and just seems to solve the problem.

Third, I use coconut oil for baking, in recipes, as a mouth wash and a moisturizer.  I don't use it for sautéing because it gives me heartburn.  No problem with olive oil.  Sautéing in bacon fat is limited too.  I just can't seem to eat bacon or other fatty meats on a daily basis.  Fatty fish like salmon or full fat dairy aren't a problem.  For my bulletproof coffee I use MCT oil (sometimes I take the pill form) and grass fed butter. Mayo use is limited too.  I use omeprazole (for short term overabundance of acid or a slow release pill) if I can't seem to digest the food I ate.  I buy this OTC at a drug store.  My doctor gave me Dexilant which is a delayed release capsule and this worked just fine, but I don't have a drug plan so he recommended any brand of the omeprazole.  The trick for me anyway, is to be very careful with my fat consumption.  Broiling rather than pan frying limits the heartburn.  Alcohol intake is severely limited so my liver isn't stressed even with labs showing the proper level of enzymes.  I sure miss that glass of wine!

I use Drs. Best Mag too.  This is mag. glycinate.  Slo-mag is brand mag. chloride which I was also able to take without a problem.  I make sure I take this with food.  Avocado's have a fair amount of magnesium so I try to eat the Haas type daily.

All this seemingly endless tweaking was greatly reduced when I started taking colostrum pills and the peptide spray.  Read Dr. Keech's lecture from the Gluten Summit.  I started taking this about 2 months ago.  It is really re-setting my immune system and I just am not getting the heartburn, bowel problems or other inflammatory responses any more.  I am careful not to eat anything that might cause an inflammatory reaction so the colostrum can work the way it is supposed to.

I hope these thoughts help you.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:52:51 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »
Are you taking digestive enzymes?  Maybe there are foods you are not breaking down, such as the lactose in milk.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
Thanks for the responses! No digestive enzymes. We aren't using milk...except half 'n half over granola about once a month. We do eat a lot of cheese and a little yogurt. Probably fall about 20 oz short on the amount of water. I keep intending to order colostrum and peptide spray, but haven't yet. But I believe I've had some results from the probiotics...even the lesser ones.(not VSL#3). I'm only taking one VSL a day...I've read it may be better to start off low and build up.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
The effectiveness of poop implants shows just how screwed up the SAD gut is.

The list of suspect perps is long. Wheat is only one of them. Gang action is quite likely.

This topic is apt to rise in significance in Dr. Davis' ambitious plan to lay out a sane end-to-end lifestyle.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »

Sponsored Links