This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Coleslaw  (Read 5257 times)

scrupulousgirl

Coleslaw
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
Coleslaw

(*Note: The Original recipe calls for (1) Package Ramen noodles. Obviously, for Wheat Belly followers, prepare yours without the Noodles, but for others who are not Wheat Free, feel free to add the noodles or throw them away. You will need the Seasoning from the package of Beef flavor Ramen noodles for this).

Slaw:
1 lb.bag of Cole slaw
4-6 green onions (Optional)
Noodles from 1 pkg. beef ramen noodles, crushed (Ignore this step if preparing for WB)
1 cup salted, roasted sunflower seeds
cup toasted slivered Almonds (Toast 5 - 6 min. in 350 degree oven and cool) (Original recipe called for (10) mins and that was way too long for my Oven).

Dressing (Prepare the night before):
1 pkg. Beef Ramen noodle seasoning
1/3 Cup White vinegar
Cup Oil (Original recipe did not specify what type of Oil and I forgot to ask so I used Olive oil and it was fine)
Cup Sugar (I tried this with Stevia and it was horribly SWEET with aftertasted so went with real Sugar and it was wonderful)

Prepare the dressing the night before. Mix all ingredients, Whisk well, and Refrigerate.
About 15 minutes before serving; combine slaw ingredients. Whisk dressing well and toss with Slaw ingredients.
Do not put the ingredients together in advance.
If taking this dish away from home, transport the dressing and the noodles/seeds/nuts in a separate container from the slaw.

Makes 4-6 servings.

I am not a fan of Mayo at all, so this recipe was absolutely perfect for me. I am not a "seasoned" cook, but more borderline BeginnerIntermediate. This was so easy to prepare and it has a wonderful crunch and is delicious. I got the Recipe from a family friend at a recent gathering, who I was not aware had been doing WB for almost 18 months. She looks terrific and I am grateful to her for sharing this!

Enjoy!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Coleslaw
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:46:40 AM »
I made this but called it 'Asian coleslaw' and it was very good. Unfortunately, when checking ingredients of the flavor packets, they contain one or more (off-limits) vegetable oils, soy sauce, and some questionable preservatives, including MSG.

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »
when checking ingredients of the flavor packets, they contain one or more (off-limits) vegetable oils, soy sauce, and some questionable preservatives, including MSG.

Jan,

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. It's a lesson for me to research more thoroughly.

Rita, If you prefer to delete this Recipe I am ok with that. I don't want to trip others up on their journey  :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
Don't delete....it's creative to come up with new and better ways to make our old recipes......in fact, this might be good with a sweet/sour dressing.....or made with a non-soy sauce.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
If you don't mind a bit of soy, Tamari sauce is wheat free and pretty tasty.  I wish they could reproduce the soy sauce flavor without the soy but nothing comes close :-[

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »
I also know this as Asian Coleslaw and I ADORE it.  Unfortunately that dang seasoning packet had to go and ruin everything (and the noodles themselves which I loved until they got soggy) so I haven't had this in ages.  If anyone comes up with an alternative dressing I'd love to try it!
~Teresa

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »

Sponsored Links