This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Ingredient Challenge! Lemongrass paste  (Read 1965 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Ingredient Challenge! Lemongrass paste
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
Just went grocery shopping and decided to buy something that I've never cooked with before just to get me out of my comfort zone.  So I bought this tube of lemongrass paste ( http://www.gourmetgarden.com/us/product/view/Lemon-Grass  ).

What are some ideas we can come up with using lemongrass paste as an ingredient?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:00:07 PM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Ingredient Challenge! Lemongrass paste
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
Okay... I'm going to experiment with dinner tonight and use that lemongrass paste I bought.

I have some shredded cooked chicken so I'll use that as my meat.

I also have a bunch of vegetables, onions and bok choy that I'll stir fry.

Ingredients that I'm thinking about using:

the lemongrass paste  ( I have no clue what this tastes like...  )
gluten free soy sauce
possibly fresh cilantro  ( is that too weird? )
lemon juice
pickled ginger  ( I have a jar of that in my fridge that I've never opened... is this also too weird? )
and maybe slivered almonds for some crunch

And maybe...  ( If it doesn't sound too disgusting) I may add some coconut milk to it.

Could be the worst thing I've ever cooked up.  :o

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »
Update on the above lemongrass thing I tried.

I did the combo, plus I added garlic and red pepper paste  ( sambal )

It wasn't bad.   It would probably have been really tasty if I didn't put the pickled ginger in there.  That was over powering.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
I've used lemongrass (fresh stalks) in cooking but never the paste.  I googled 'lemongrass paste' and came up with a lot of hits - mostly in Asian recipes of course, especially Thai.  I think your combination of ingredients was probably pretty good with the exception of the pickled ginger, as you figured out!  ;D   One 'hit' I found uses the paste as a marinade for chicken, but then they grilled the marinated chicken first for just 2 or 3 minutes, then finished cooking it in the oven.  That seems to be the opposite of what I would expect.  The recipe (which includes instructions on making the paste itself) is at http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/12409/chicken+with+lemon+grass+paste+and+stir+fried+snake+beans

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »

Sponsored Links