This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Kale chips  (Read 3012 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Kale chips
« on: April 20, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
I'm about to try making Kale chips for the first time.   I just cleaned a bunch of Kale and ripped apart bite size pieces from the main stem and am now waiting for it to dry. 

From what I understand from comments on some of the recipe sites, is that you have to make sure the Kale is completely dry before starting so that the chips are not soggy.   And, you have to make sure you don't over cook them, as the burned chips are really bitter.

I also read from comments that it's easy to make it too salty, since kale shrinks so much and has natural salt in it.

It's also easy to make it too oily.   

So my plan is to do just 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 2 bunches.   And, I'll just add the salt and test different spices after they are cooked so I don't ruin the batch.

Then, in terms of cooking, I'm going to follow what this reviewer said on the allrecipes site:

I've tried a LOTS of versions of kale chips with LOTS of different results. I've found that the success of the chip depends on three things: how you cook them, how curly the kale is and how much oil you use. This method has been, by far, the best: I've tried lower temp with long cooking, higher temp with quick cooking, convection methods, different sheet pans and all the rest. This recipe works (IMHO) by using a non insulated sheet and cooking at 350 for 10 minutes. I rotated my baking sheet 180 halfway through. I also made a point to use ONLY just enough oil to BARELY coat the leaves otherwise they'll stay soggy. When I arrange the pieces on the pan, I place them like little upside down "V's" so the curly side is down: I think this helps the air circulate around them better. Other than that, after you coat them with the oil, get creative with the toppings!!! I squeeze a little lemon on mine with sea salt or will do some garlic powder with chipotle pepper powder. Hope you'll all enjoy these as much as I did...Thanks Lucy!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:19:19 PM by Rita »

Tsumpter

• View Profile
Re: Kale chips
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
Rita, how did they turn out?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:45:17 AM »
We were just munching on them, and they are quite good.

I took them out after 10 minutes, but they didn't seem crunchy enough to me, so I turned the  oven off, mixed them around on my baking pan, put them back in the oven ( as the oven was still hot ), and just sort of kept a close eye on them so they wouldn't burn.  Probably left them in for another 5 minutes this way.

When they were done, I put a little sea salt on them and some garlic powder.

I also chose to use a pizza pan with holes that I have, so that the air would flow through a little better.  ( This is sort of what that pan looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-AMB-14PP-Classic-Nonstick-Bakeware/dp/B0000D8CAO   )

The good news is that my 13 year old son is munching down on them pretty quickly.   I love it when he is eating healthy snacks.

I'll make them again, and maybe try some different flavorings on the next batch.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
This is how I make my kale chips (variation on a recipe from a semi-Paleo blog I keep up with):

Kale
Olive oil for drizzling (I use spray)
Salt and pepper to taste

Remove stems from Kale by laying the Kale flat, folding over the leaves to one side, and then slicing the stem off with a big butcher knife...or just pull the stems off.

Cover cookie sheet with foil.

Tear Kale into smaller pieces and lay on cookie sheet in a single layer.

Spray with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper (I use quite a bit of olive oil spray)

Pop in the oven for 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Excellent!! Mine took 13 minutes in my oven,

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »

Sponsored Links