This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: What did you have for LUNCH today ( feel free to update daily )  (Read 12500 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
We've had a breakfast and dinner thread going, but I think we should start a lunch thread. 

So what did you have for lunch today?

scrupulousgirl

Re: What did you have for LUNCH today ( feel free to update daily )
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:51:43 AM »
Yesterday, I fasted from After Breakfast through late afternoon. I am enjoying the fact that this has become easy to do. It made running errands and shopping much easier since I was gone from late morning to mid-afternoon.

On Tuesday, I had 2 Cups salad with Homemade Vinaigrette, Pan seared chicken in Olive oil and a side of a handful of mixed nuts.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
Don't mean to derail the thread but I rarely eat
lunch.  I'm not that interested in food and
since starting to eat LCHF, it has freed me
from having to stop whatever I'm doing to eat.

It would increase my productivity if the saved
time was used wisely.  (smiley face here)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:16:51 AM »
We most often have a kind of late breakfast, lunch at early to mid-afternoon. Then dinner is kind of a snack like a half avocado with tuna salad on top (tuna, dill, tad of mayo) OR a spoon of peanut butter with cheese and olives.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »
My husband always brings a Lean Cuisine to work with him as his lunch.   ( We still have different food philosophies and he's still on the low fat, and wheat is okay for him mindset ).    I'm trying to make him more aware of how bad his lunch is, so I always say "So what processed food are you taking with you for lunch? "  or "What processed foods do you want me to buy at the grocery store for your lunches?"

The good news is that the 'processed food' jabs are finally getting to him, and he finally said to me  "Well if I don't have a Lean Cuisine, what's a good lunch to take?"

So I'm looking for good, easy, and portable lunch ideas for him. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Sometimes I do a pork loin in the crockpot and use it for a number of meals with raw veggies. Same thing with ham and brisket...or tuna salad with raw veggies and cheese slices. You just need a meat, veggie(s) and a little fat.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
You just need a meat, veggie(s) and a little fat.

That's a good way for me to describe that to him.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
Rita....since your husband doesn't share your dietary strategies.....do you want ideas for what he eats or more of a WB approach?  Amy's brand organic foods has frozen meals, but they're high carbs.

Ideas for a more WB approach.....small shish kabobs.....chicken, veggies with a sauce.  Soups with a side salad....and/or you can fill his lunchbox with lots of interesting things....

http://www.planetbox.com/?utm_source=everydaypaleo&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=everydaypaleo
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:06:50 PM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »
I'd like more of a WB approach with him.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »
Rita, I usually bring leftovers to work and then buy a pile 'o greens or a low-starch vegetable to go with it. Maybe that's something your husband could do. Yesterday I bought steamed broccoli in the cafeteria and then added a leftover hamburger patty (heated up) and a dollop of guacamole. Oh, and butter on the broccoli.  :D  If I weren't chained to a rigid work schedule, I'd eat a larger breakfast later on in the morning and skip lunch. That's what we do on weekends.

Would your husband be willing to eat almond flour pancakes or maybe a no-wheat wrap in place of bread? The pancakes hold up fairly well as "bread," I discovered this week. You could add lean deli turkey, mustard, lettuce, etc. Lean Cuisine is just the nastiest stuff, IMO. It doesn't even resemble food.  :o   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:01:28 AM by Joan from MN »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
My husband likes almond flour pancakes for sandwiches, too.  He says they go particularly well with ham!  Add a salad or tomatoes.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »
Great ideas.   I'll have to try the almond flour pancakes.   I'm never much of a baker, so I never even think about the "bready" side of WB.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
Lunch (the only meal of the day that I have just one of) is usually at work and quick. I'm not much of a cook, so usually it's one of those bagged salads with a bag of the store-bought pre-cooked chicken pieces, and some Paul Newman vinegar and olive oil salad dressing.

Here's why I bring this up: the store was out of my usual Hormel chicken that I pick up, and I grabbed a Foster Farms pack of pre-grilled chicken strips. Just to be safe, I checked the ingredients, and lo and behold, it contained wheat. Why the heck does grilled chicken need wheat?

HungryinTN

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »
"Well if I don't have a Lean Cuisine, what's a good lunch to take?"

This sounds like almost the exact same argument I had with my dad when I was visiting my parents!  For him, since even small adjustments could have a major impact, and to help him transition, I pointed him to Artisan Bistro microwave dinners.  It's not the "best" choice, but it's convenient and some of the options even fit the carb count bill (15 net).  The sodium tends to run slightly high, but on a good-better-best scale, it's a vast improvement over Lean Cuisine.  I figure if I can get him eating those, if he starts to feel a little better he'll start listening to me about stricter options.  He's also pretty good about taking leftovers from dinner the night before for lunch, so as long as they're eating healthy dinners, he's eating an okay lunch (not counting whatever he might get from the vending machine at work...).  Just getting him to swap crackers for nuts is a battle!  For me, I'm perfectly happy with some grass-fed yogurt with some MCT or coconut oil and a handful of blueberries or raspberries for my lunch, with maybe a small side of almonds.  Easy to take to work.

What I had for lunch today: omelette made from 2 pastured local eggs, olive oil, grass-fed raw cheddar, local goat cheese, and pesto.  Yummalicious!  Now to get back to studying...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:04:29 PM by Rita »

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »
This was a welcome departure from salad for lunch: turkey and avocado sandwich with lettuce and mustard. The almond flour pancakes for the "bread" held up nicely. Handful of raw veggies on the side. Herbal iced tea.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
Maybe this will be useful for those of us looking for portable meals: a new book that is coming out next week: "Paleo Lunches & Breakfasts On the Go: the solution to gluten free eating all day long with delicious, easy and portable primal meals".  The authors are Diana Rodgers & Robb Wolff. This can be pre-ordered for $15.69 on Amazon.com.
Also, if you search for 'paleo lunch recipes' on Amazon, it will turn up 4 or 5 Kindle books (each for $3 or less).

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
Maybe this will be useful for those of us looking for portable meals: a new book that is coming out next week: "Paleo Lunches & Breakfasts On the Go: the solution to gluten free eating all day long with delicious, easy and portable primal meals".  The authors are Diana Rodgers & Robb Wolff. This can be pre-ordered for $15.69 on Amazon.com.

Good tip.  I may get that.   Looks like it will be available on August 6.

Here's the direct link for anyone who is interested: http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1624140165

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »
I frequently throw an almond flour/banana muffin, hardboiled egg and veggie sticks in a bag.  It's filling, tasty and quite portable.  I throughly get your father's problem. The list of 'do not eats' is easy but putting together a meal you'd care to eat out of the rest is not so easy. It sounds like it should be but somehow just isn't.  Write him as long a list of meals as you can think of to trigger his own imagination.  Don't worry that it looks silly to list +raw carrots sticks; his mind (like mine) may need the associations to fire his own creativity. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
I am having half of a red pepper filled with salmon cream cheese (which I made myself), a small yellow tomatoe, 6 large calabrese olives in olive oil.

Yummy!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
Hello Vibe...welcome!! I'm wondering how you make your salmon cream cheese?? It sounds interesting.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
Hello Vibe...welcome!! I'm wondering how you make your salmon cream cheese?? It sounds interesting.

I take half a brick of cream cheese, add smoked salmon, and blend well in a food processor.  I don't have precise measurements, I just eyeball it.
It is better than any store bought version I've ever bought.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 06:07:53 AM »
Thanks Vibe. I'll have to try that.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 06:39:04 AM »
You can use any leftover fish, not just smoked salmon.  Smoked fishes are all terrific, but a bit expensive.  I've used any leftover broiled fish, added a bit of salt if needed, and pepper to the cream cheese.  Topped with minced chives.  Linda posted a great recipe for homemade Boursin cheese that is perfect with mild flavored cooked fish.  The measurement of fish to cream cheese is up to you.  I would start with 50-50, taste and then add more of either cheese or fish to taste.  Add a drop of milk or cream to thin if necessary.  Spread it on bread or veggies for a quick meal. 

I've used my immersion blender to whip up and then thin(if necessary) the cheese and mash the fish into it using a fork.  I've used canned smoked fishes too.

By the way, you can use minced chives and roasted garlic in your cream cheese just like the Boursin recipe.  Start with a very small amount of garlic!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:42:56 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »
I'll bet this would be good in roasted poblano pepper halves too (my DH can't eat bell peppers).

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
I'm running out of ideas for lunch.  Last Friday I brought my usual hamburger soup w/veggies, but it's still here, so one might say I'm getting tired of that.   Today I ran past a fast-food place and got a couple of hamburger patties....a real bad choice, I know.  And I'm feeling the urge to go out and grab something REALLY bad.  Sometimes I pack a few ounces of goat cheese, a half-cup container of applesauce and pecan pieces.  I like those flavors together.  But I'm kind of on the "edge" these days... Need ideas for packing lunches every day. Something emotional going on, I know.  Wanting to stuff my face is how I feel when I'm upset or not handling things very well.  Appreciate all your ideas and LOVE this forum!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 05:49:37 AM »
Loanne,
A few lunch ideas....hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs (using a variety of ingredients), sliced tomatoes, avocados, chicken/tuna salad on lettuce, avocado/chicken salad/ baked loaded avocados, chicken thighs/legs, hamburger patty on lettuce, egg soufflé' muffins, quiche, tomato/spinach/brie soup with a dollop of whipping cream, pepper/celery strips with hummus or pate', zucchini pizzas, savory chia muffins with scallion cream cheese, egg drop soup or any WB friendly soup, and leftovers are great for llunch!

HungryinTN

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
I brought leftover spinach frittata for lunch today and walked to work to remove the temptation of going out since my office is on a university campus and therefore a healthy food desert.  We'll see if it works!

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »
Thank much, Jan.  My head is already spinning with ideas!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
The only idea I got is that I want to go live w/ Jan!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 10:47:38 AM »
Ha Deanna....except for the fact that my guest room currently reeks of bone broth!!!!!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »
I had sliced cucumber with homemade salmon cream cheese, calabrese olives and nuts.

HungryinTN

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
I ate my frittata.  But I ate it way too early and now I'm starving with another hour to go!  Good thing I have an emergency almond stash!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 05:52:29 PM »
I had half of a yellow pepper filled with home made salmon cream cheese, an avocado, some sun dried black olives in olive oil, some nuts and swiss cheese.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
I had a muffin in a bowl. very yummy.

seasoned it with cinnamon and nutmeg.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
I had left over sauteed mushrooms with steamed asparagus in bacon fat and a chocolate cake! I used the cake in a cup recipe and made it chocolate. I used xyla to sweeten it and I can't beleive there was no gross after taste of stevia, it actually tasted like real chocolate cake. that was at 1 pm.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »
Nom, Nom!  I had homemade tomato soup and a slice of artichoke/goat cheese frittata.  It took some Malice aforethought to prepare these foods ahead of time, but I'm glad I did.  A good lunch!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »
I had a bowl of the meat stew I make.
1 lb Ground beef ( free from brand)
1 lb Ground porc ( free fron brand)
5 large Gluten free garlic sausages ( hormone & antibiotic free)
1 leek
1/4 cup steak sauce
Sea salt
1/4 cup gelatin
2 cups water
5 oz of spinach, kale and swiss chard ( organic)

Makes 6 lunches... yum!

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 12:11:13 PM »
 Today's Lunch inspiration came from @Zenbelly on Twitter. She has a Cookbook coming out later this year. She is a Gluten free Caterer, mostly Paleo according to her Twitter bio. She posted a picture this morning of a Breakfast skillet and I decided I had to have a similar version for Lunch.

(2) Sunny-side eggs fried in Bacon grease, (4) Homemade meatballs and Victoria Vegan Marinera and (1) Avocado lightly salted

Delicious and filling!

-Bailey

Linda R

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
"Pasta" and meatballs

1 package of Fettuccine Miracle Noodles, drained, simmered in hot water for 5 minutes, then dried in frypan
4 ounces of Lucini Tuscan Marinara Sauce with Roasted Garlic
2 Baked Meatballs (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/baked_meatballs.html)
Freshly grated Parmesan on top

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »
Looks yummy!

Linda R

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
Ate something today that I haven't consumed in YEARS!

Liver and onions

When I entered the world of LCHF back in 2008, due to the carb counts for both those items, I just eliminated that meal altogether.

Then, when I also dropped anything containing wheat due to arthritis type issues in the hip area, that also stopped me from eating liver and onions because the only way I knew of to prepare the recipe was to dredge the meat in seasoned flour and fry.

After much searching, I found a simple recipe, and all you do is saute sliced onions and garlic, and when tender, add your sliced liver that was rinsed. Pour some broth over the meat/onion/garlic mixture and cook 15 minutes or low heat.
Very tasty!

INGREDIENTS
1 lb organic, grass-fed beef liver     
3 T extra virgin olive oil                 
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced         
2 cloves garlic, minced                       
½ cup organic chicken broth             
Freshly cracked pepper

DIRECTIONS
1. Rinse liver with warm water and set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil on low heat.
3. When onions are tender, add liver, placing about ½ of the onion garlic mixture over meat pieces.
4. Pour broth evenly over liver, onions, and garlic.
5. Continue to sauté on low for 15 minutes, turning meat once during cooking.
6. Season with freshly cracked pepper to taste.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »

Sponsored Links