This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: My week from hell, and why I consider it a success story  (Read 4834 times)

HungryinTN

My week from hell, and why I consider it a success story
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »
Between PMS, a nasty run-in with a neighbor's crazy father who was visiting from out of town for the week, a car accident, and having to deal with my unemployed, alcoholic ex-husband about some unsettled property issues, I seriously wasn't sure I would make it through the week without pizza, beer, and cigarettes.  But I did it!  And I'm not sure yet because I haven't done a morning weight in a few days, but I think my weight has continued to go down (unclothed morning weight was 206 at last check, evening clothed weight was the same tonight).  I wasn't perfect - I had alcohol two nights instead of just one, and I did eat some tortilla chips at a restaurant.  Plus I missed my Bulletproof coffee a couple of days because I stayed with my boyfriend to avoid my neighbor's crazy dad (seriously I have never been so angry with a stranger in my life).  But overall, considering everything, I'd call it a victory.  The fact that I managed to avoid truly self-destructive behavior (like eating loads of bready and fried foods, smoking, or getting drunk every night, which I might have done in the past when trying to cope with such an emotionally trying week) is truly a success.  I think it speaks volumes about what this new lifestyle has done for my outlook on life.  Though the problems have been extremely stressful and difficult while they were happening, once the situation passed, I moved on.  I haven't dwelt on my problems or focused on all of the things I've done wrong that got me to this point.  Avoiding the downward spiral of depression is a MAJOR success for me!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: My week from hell, and why I consider it a success story
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »
Good for you!  That does sound like a week from hell... but you were strong.   You should be really proud!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:17:12 AM »
Yes!  Not eating foods that poison us bite by bite sure helps us to think clearer and make smarter decisions!  Toxic food yields toxic thoughts. Toxic thoughts yields toxic behavior.  You should be very proud of yourself.   If you have some time, read Dr. Amen's books or even look at his internet sites.  He does CAT scans of brains, before and after his patients change their diets.  Scans showing the actual changes in the brain are astounding.  Clearer thinking, calming down, smarter decisions are all described as benefits of his "eat like a gorilla" diet.

Dr. Amen has been on PBS and is very well respected.  Like Dr. Davis, he believes that the food we eat impacts our life/health in every way.  Worth the time to explore his philosophy.  You should be proud of yourself.  To your future! ;D

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »
You go girl. Love to hear about your successes! Must have been the moon cuz I also had some hurdles thrown in front of me. I too engaged in destructive behavior ~ cheese and flax crackers and Malbec, more than one glass 😣. I considered it a victory. 😄

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
What a wonderful confidence booster and awesome personal testimony! You will touch so many in-need people with your story! I am sorry for your troubles, but so glad to hear about your success! Congratulations on working to keep yourself stable with everything going on. Keep your focus. This is proof positive the Wheat-free lifestyle works and has great positive benefits. I am doing a happy dance for you  :)

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
Thanks, y'all!  Unfortunately my weight is still doing the not-so-fun hovering dance between 204 and 208 (despite the fact that I didn't consume anything but a glass or two of water between night weight and morning weight, I was up two pounds this morning - go figure), but I can only imagine what my cortisol levels are like right now so I'm not going to sweat it.  I'm still well on my way to getting below 200 before the semester starts, and I pretty much always expected to hit a plateau when I got about to this point because it's the last place my weight was settled for any length of time.  Meh.  Onwards and downwards!

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Thanks, y'all!  Unfortunately my weight is still doing the not-so-fun hovering dance between 204 and 208 (despite the fact that I didn't consume anything but a glass or two of water between night weight and morning weight, I was up two pounds this morning - go figure), but I can only imagine what my cortisol levels are like right now so I'm not going to sweat it.  I'm still well on my way to getting below 200 before the semester starts, and I pretty much always expected to hit a plateau when I got about to this point because it's the last place my weight was settled for any length of time.  Meh.  Onwards and downwards!

Good morning, HungryinTN.

Just wanted to say hello and hope that you're doing and feeling great today/this week  :)

HungryinTN

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
Thank you!  I am doing quite well.  Thisclose to my goal of under 200 by the start of the semester, with my first class in a week and a half, so I should get there barring self-sabotage.  I've been lifting weights again and the inches are also coming off (everywhere BUT my belly, oddly enough, but inches are inches and they all need to go!), but most importantly I still feel fantastic.  I've had a reprieve from the superstress I was going through before, with a short break between major work projects and between my summer class and the fall semester, so I'm tryng to take the time to get my life in order and ready to stay on track for the coming busy time.  It's my last semester of coursework so if I can just get through it without GAINING weight and returning to old habits that will be a major accomplishment. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 02:36:31 PM »
Hungry,

Just think of the misery wheat caused you! Every single hour of every single day is better because your body keeps becoming more at ease with itself.  Every organ is working better today and will be even better tomorrow.  The weight comes off when it comes off.  All your internal processes are getting better each day you eat properly.

The longer you stay the course, the less the old temptations mean anything.  I loved to bake.  When I started WB, the first thing I did was make the brownies and cookies and breads.  Now I don't even want anything except a slice of the bread several times a week for an open faced sandwich or melted cheese quick meal.  My meals satisfy my hunger and I don't graze any longer.

You are taking all the proper steps and are probably much calmer with each day that passes.  Keep looking forward to that wonderful goal .... health!

HungryinTN

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »
To be honest, I haven't been even the least bit tempted 99% of the time since I started because I started feeling SOOO much better so fast, plus my emotional well being improved to the point where my old self-destructive tendencies appear to be a thing of the past.  Being a PhD student while supporting myself is hard, and this next semester will be a toughie and a big test for my long-term commitment to this lifestyle.  I'm not really worried, just wary.  :)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
  Plus I missed my Bulletproof coffee

What the heck is bulletproof coffee?

Congrats on not decompressing into depression btw!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
Bulletproof coffee is coffee with coconut oil, butter or MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil added and stirred enough to emulsify.  Do an internet search for more details.  This will give you lots of energy!

wendymarie64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing.  I often feel like the only one with drama and trama!!  It was nice to read about other struggles!!  You go girl!!

HungryinTN

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
Happy to help!  It was useful for me to go back and re-read this post now several months later to see where I am.  I've lost about fifteen more pounds, I think, give-or-take, but I'm a size smaller than I've been at the same weight in the past, so I don't want to give undue credence to the scale.  I've quit drinking completely.  I haven't had a cigarette since late June or early July and I genuinely haven't wanted one since around the time of this post.  I've had good days and bad days, but I'd say I get it right about 90% of the time (with absolutely zero wheat consumption except that which might have been hidden in restaurant foods at times).  I have gone from having all kinds of mood swings all the time and constantly feeling stressed out to being pretty happy-go-lucky 24/7, for the most part.  This is my last semester in the PhD program, and it has been VERY trying.  I don't know if I could have made it through without this lifestyle change, and I can only imagine that things can only get better from here on out! 

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
You rock! It just makes me tired thinking of how full your days are. Congrats on the drinking and smoking. You're doing great things for your body an I'm really proud of you. You go girl!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »

Sponsored Links